Advertisements are getting smarter

Serious discussion about news, politics and whatever is on your mind.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Advertisements are getting smarter

Postby clyzm » Sun Dec 14, 08 12:16 am

I remember back a while ago, a friend of mine used Mozilla Firefox to combat his serious popup problem that was caused by IE's poor browsing security system. I recommended him Firefox because I myself had been using it for years and it has been a reliable internet browser with a great security.

That was 2007.

I uninstalled Mozilla Firefox today. Why, you ask?

Consider, for one thing, every mainstream website I visit, including C4DCafe and others, have the most ridiculous advertisement system ever.

I don't mean a popup box. Those get blocked very easily. I mean advertisements that redirect you to some shitty gift website, and advertisements that somehow open up Adobe Acrobat Reader for no reason.

This has happened to me 8-9 times an hour of browsing, and Firefox's system of blocking it consists of doing nothing at all about it. On account of the ads, I had to restart the system so many times, so many crashes that I couldn't take it and decided to go into Safe Mode.

I ran a virus check, absolutely nothing on my computer besides tracking cookies which I promptly deleted. Then I used my other browser, Google Chrome. Chrome's system of security is not much better, just a page that redirects to "Warning! This site has been reported to contain malware!" And, while its showing me this, somehow, magically, Acrobat pops up again, using up 100% of my processor like an old French whore.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Tantalus » Sun Dec 14, 08 12:34 am

You WILL give your credit card details to them or they will pry it off your cold, lifeless hands; when you have your wallet in your hand of course.

I never get that with Firefox on mainstream sites, all I ever get is "We're Sorry Mozilla Firefox had crashed unexpectedly" also very close to a harlot of sorts. Perhaps they have you in a database?
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby clyzm » Sun Dec 14, 08 12:37 am

They keep databases of people?!
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Tantalus » Sun Dec 14, 08 12:41 am

Welcome to browsing habit country.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby MrBlackDX » Sun Dec 14, 08 1:07 am

They even know where you live.

THEY KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE DEREK
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Postby Alex » Sun Dec 14, 08 1:07 am

https://addons.mozilla.org/nl/firefox/addon/10

Just block all ads. Use wildcards (*) to block the entire domain.

Like:
http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/*
http://*.doubleclick.net/*
http://*.googleadservices.com/*

Etcetera.

Works like a charm. No ads for ages. No popups, no banners, etc.
Alex
Alpha

Postby James » Sun Dec 14, 08 1:18 am

cataclyzm wrote:They keep databases of people?!

Heres something, every company you have do. Knowledge is power and this is why most news websites love social sites so they can get the lock down on who they want quickly. Last I heard Facebook is being bought out and I personally emailed them to delete all of my information from the website instead of keeping it. (the deleting process doesn't actually delete your account it makes it inactive, I emailed them to actually delete all of it.)
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Mr. Tastix » Sun Dec 14, 08 3:30 am

I don't use social networks for that purpose. I have a personal portfolio people could use to find out about me but meh, I don't have a credit card, I have hardly any money and if you wanna pry it off me you're gonna have to pry it off my cold dead motherfucken corpse.

I have never seen an advert open Adobe Acrobat. I now use NoScript on Firefox which blocks all scripts (JavaScript, Flash, and the like) and I only activate it for sites I trust.

No internet browser is safe. The thing that fucks me off about Firefox mostly is that FF3 crashes a fucken lot.
Blood is thicker than water and sweeter than candy.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby Dex » Sun Dec 14, 08 2:08 pm

~Psychotic~ wrote:The thing that fucks me off about Firefox mostly is that FF3 crashes a fucken lot.

Yep, same for me. Crashes at least 2-4 times in an hour.
Dex
Forum Hero

Postby Mr. Tastix » Sun Dec 14, 08 3:14 pm

Cataclyzm, you're not wrong about advertisements getting started (even though it's the adverts developers, to be precise) though.

Ad Networks are constantly upgrading the way their ads work so that the ads displayed are clicked/viewed which in turn makes publishers happy which in turn makes the ad network happy and ultimately makes the advertiser happy too because there is people coming to their website and service.

I refuse to sell pop-up or pop-under adverts on my websites (regardless of how less "intrusive" pop-under ads are, pop-window adverts fucking suck). I also hate interstitial adverts (ads that are web pages which are displayed before an actual, expected, content page, GameSpot and IGN are good examples of sites that use these) because these are very inconvenient.

In short, I generally only have flash/image banner ads because they're less distracting. They may not generate as money revenue as pop-windows or interstitial ads (seriously, pop-ups make quite a bit of money) but they're less intrusive and annoying.
Blood is thicker than water and sweeter than candy.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby Siva » Sun Dec 14, 08 3:23 pm

Sounds more like you have a trojan

I have never had acrobat reader open without my request
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby Spiderbot01 » Sun Dec 14, 08 6:36 pm

I use IE with no problems.
<center>------</center><center>
Image</center>