my pc is shit

Serious discussion about news, politics and whatever is on your mind.

Moderator: Forum Guards

my pc is shit

Postby Dex » Fri Jan 30, 09 9:54 am

I have Windows Vista which is buggy as hell, I can't do multitasking with it. Sometimes all my programs go not-responding and I have to restart my PC and when it's done with restarting, my resolution is switched to 1280x768 instead of 1280x1024, then I put back to 1280x1024, but then the refresh rate is at 70Hz and I can't find an option to put it to 60Hz. Then I start up my NVIDIA Control Panel and I add a custom resolution 1280x1024@60Hz and it says that custom resolution adding failed or something, so now I access my display settings again and find 65 Hz, I put that on, but it's still shit. So I go to my NVIDIA Control Panel and click Restore Defaults on everything, now I go back to Display Properties and I see 60Hz listed. Then I'm about to log on MSN and talk over mic with my buddy then I realize my mic isn't working, so I delete my drivers, install ones from automated search and it still isn't working, only now it produces noise when I send voice clips. Then (without it working) I allow my speakers to release microphone sounds and suddenly there's high peaking noise from my speakers, so I disable microphone on speakers and I delete drivers and go to ASUS's website which lags a lot then my programs become not-responding again so I go to task manager which isn't responding either. Also to note, my monitor blinks everytime I open the task manager (2 times), when I put in a new device (10-20 times) etc... So ye, I finally get onto the ASUS site and I download the new drivers and install them and yaay my mic is working. I have 5.1, however my OS won't recognize the 2 rear speakers as REAR, but SIDE. So my OS thinks my rear speakers are my side speakers. I haven't managed to work that out yet.

Any suggestions on all this?
Last edited by Dex on Fri Jan 30, 09 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dex
Forum Hero

Postby Mr. Tastix » Fri Jan 30, 09 10:50 am

What's wrong with 70Hz over 60Hz? If your PC can support it...

I hate Vista for one reason: I don't find it laptop-friendly. My version hangs a lot of programs also and I have to reboot quite often. Hell, it took 5 times before Service Pack 1 would finally install (possibly my firewall, not quite sure on this one, but still...).

I've always had problems with laptops however. This one has had many problems with HDD's needing to be replaced simply because I use it far too often, the fan overheats, it gets incredibly dusty inside the laptop, and my HDD's life-span drops because of it (I actually need to get some cans of compressed air to "remedy" this hopefully).

My old laptop was a hunk of shit Dell. It's motherboard kept screwing up (dunno why, they wouldn't go into detail which annoyed me) and the first time I got it back from it being repaired (all laptops I've owned I've sent it out more than once to get repaired) it come back with screws missing from the goddamn monitor.

Because of that the moinitor actually nearly come off and all that was keeping it from "staying together" (for lack of a better term) was the cord connecting it to the motherboard. It got replaced to the one I have now as I accidentally (yes, ACCIDENTALLY dammit, lol) spilt half a can of coke onto the keyboard and it fried the motherboard.

Insurance covered it. I now own a laptop 3x as good as my last one. It's alright, it just has two problems: Integrated video cards suck, and it has Vista installed which I personally would have liked to have stayed away from altogether and never have gotten used to it.
Blood is thicker than water and sweeter than candy.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby Dex » Fri Jan 30, 09 11:21 am

Psychotic wrote:What's wrong with 70Hz over 60Hz? If your PC can support it...

Doesn't work well with my 17" LCD :cry:
My monitor is probably going to die soon, it blinks a lot
Dex
Forum Hero

Postby Dae » Fri Jan 30, 09 11:27 am

Get a Mac! :P
Dae
Alpha

Postby Dex » Fri Jan 30, 09 11:43 am

Dae wrote:Get a Mac! :P

lmao :lol:
Don't think a Mac fits me. :oops:
Dex
Forum Hero

Postby Dae » Fri Jan 30, 09 11:47 am

It's pricy and doesn't support any games. But generally - it rocks.
Dae
Alpha

Postby Dex » Fri Jan 30, 09 11:50 am

Dae wrote:It's pricy and doesn't support any games. But generally - it rocks.

It costs much, I cannot afford it.
Dex
Forum Hero

Postby Bear » Fri Jan 30, 09 5:33 pm

Rofl all of you're PC's suck ass compared to myn, it totally pwns you're pentium 1 PC's.
Bear
Addict

Postby Wasted. » Fri Jan 30, 09 5:36 pm

I have a PC, a laptop with XP and a Mac.

The Mac is the only one that runs smoothly.
Wasted.
Addict

Postby Siva » Fri Jan 30, 09 7:34 pm

That's because you can't do anything with it.
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby Wasted. » Fri Jan 30, 09 8:27 pm

I think you'll find pr0nz st1ll werx.
Wasted.
Addict

Postby Bear » Fri Jan 30, 09 9:48 pm

Mac is just for retards, its for people that don't have the intellegence on how to install programs properly.
Bear
Addict

Postby Tantalus » Fri Jan 30, 09 10:29 pm

...Or for "professional graphics designers". In all honesty. Install Linux.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Wasted. » Fri Jan 30, 09 10:45 pm

Hey wrote:Mac is just for retards, its for people that don't have the intellegence on how to install programs properly.

You have a Sike quote in your signature, you'll never be able to call anyone a retard.
Wasted.
Addict

Postby Mr. Tastix » Sat Jan 31, 09 12:36 am

Hey wrote:Mac is just for retards, its for people that don't have the intellegence on how to install programs properly.

LOL WHAT? Clearly you've either never used a Mac or you're covering up the fact that you do. I never have but meh, the only OS I have problems with is Windows.

I agree with The Grand Inquisitor however. Install Linux.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby Gishank » Sat Jan 31, 09 8:44 pm

I have Vista, and a fairly decent PC. I've never had any major issues with it, only two which were to do with non-Vista supported programs not functioning, but that happend on XP aswell.
Gishank
Forum Super Hero

Postby Wasted. » Sat Jan 31, 09 8:56 pm

Klop you gonna reply to the hype that was your birthday on this forum or not?

I haven't slept since, awaiting your reply.
Wasted.
Addict

Postby Dex » Sun Feb 01, 09 3:18 pm

So my PC almost went bombing Not Responding (AGAIN), but I was quicker. I went to the Task Manager and guess what? CPU Usage: 100%, around 85 spent on some Microsoft Software Licensing shit. I kill the process and my PC is like 85% faster and everything is responding. After about 5-6 mins(while I'm writing this) this pops up:

I'm like woow.
Dex
Forum Hero

Postby Dex » Sun Feb 01, 09 3:35 pm

Stefan wrote:So my PC almost went bombing Not Responding (AGAIN), but I was quicker. I went to the Task Manager and guess what? CPU Usage: 100%, around 85 spent on some...

TrustedInstaller.exe (Windows Modules Installer) shit. I kill the process and my PC is like 85% faster and everything is responding.

:-k
Last edited by Dex on Sun Feb 01, 09 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dex
Forum Hero

Postby Siva » Sun Feb 01, 09 3:55 pm

Hahah oh wow

Sounds like your ass got Downadup
//..
Siva

Postby Dex » Sun Feb 01, 09 4:27 pm

Nope, not that either. :cry:
Dex
Forum Hero

Postby Siva » Sun Feb 01, 09 4:28 pm

Well, either way.

Reformat.
//..
Siva

Postby Dex » Sun Feb 01, 09 4:51 pm

Yeah. I'm installing XP. 8)
Dex
Forum Hero

Postby ~DJ~ » Mon Feb 02, 09 2:06 am

No.. if its a virus, the virus won't get uninstalled and i am 65% sure its a virus.

Hurry get Avast! (PM me for more details you want for it) and run the Anti-virus by right clicking the tool bar icon it will scan all the processes.
Last edited by ~DJ~ on Mon Feb 02, 09 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
~DJ~
Forum Super Hero

Postby Mr. Tastix » Mon Feb 02, 09 2:16 am

Well this is interesting, because I also have that TrustedInstaller.exe process. It's using about 2,000 K memory atm. Do you think this could explain my heat problems?

My main problem is this actually: I have 12 motherfucking svchost.exe running. Now, if someone was trying to zombify my laptop. Why make 12 of the same goddamn process?

As for this TrustedInstaller thing, I looked up some more information on it and found this:

TrustedInstaller.exe is used by the windows service called "Windows Module Installer" (Or rather is the service) Says it has something to do with updating windows, so uninstalling or disabling it could cause some updates to fail. I wouldn't remove or delete the file itself. Simply set the service to start manualy.

TrustedInstaller.exe works in conjunction with the Integrated Windows Update in Vista. What it is doing, when you see it draining your CPU is that it is checking for new updates. This usually occurs whenever you have a scheduled update scan, as well as after you finish installing a set of updates and reboot. It is an automatic process, and while you can disable it if you want to, or set it to manual control like the post suggests, it is trying to make sure there are no additional updates that are important, after you complete an update installation.

Source: http://www.technologyquestions.com/tech ... post737609

Thing for me is, I don't want to reformat. I already have reformatted and don't want to do it again. If I'm going to reformat then I'll find a DVD-R and install Windows 7 beta to try out (might as well if I'm reformatting anyway).
Last edited by Mr. Tastix on Mon Feb 02, 09 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby ~DJ~ » Mon Feb 02, 09 2:32 am

svchost.exe running more than 1 process is virus, i had em.

I Used Avast to scan the processes running and it got fixed. :D

http://www.liutilities.com/products/win ... installer/

Click there to see that you got a virus or not too. Check all of your processes.

:D
~DJ~
Forum Super Hero

Postby Mr. Tastix » Mon Feb 02, 09 3:13 am

There is also Process Explorer: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutoria ... al129.html

I'm hoping to get some DVD-R's today however so I can try out Windows 7 Beta. Unless I can get this to work: http://thelazyadmin.com/blogs/thelazyad ... media.aspx
Last edited by Mr. Tastix on Mon Feb 02, 09 3:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby Dex » Mon Feb 02, 09 4:34 pm

DJ, multiple svchost.exe on Vista is a common thing.
Also TrustedInstaller for Windows Update? I have Windows Update off and still it's there eating my cpu.

Hah, I wonder, did the Vista makers think that Vista users wanted programs randomly to go off eating the cpu. I'd rather choose when I want something to eat my cpu.

As for Windows 7, I wouldn't get the beta yet, because I've seen some people have problems with it, and I will be needing a stable OS.

~DJ~ wrote:No.. if its a virus, the virus won't get uninstalled and i am 65% sure its a virus.

Hurry get Avast! (PM me for more details you want for it) and run the Anti-virus by right clicking the tool bar icon it will scan all the processes.

I already got infected, removed the virus etc. but I had these problems before too. If it is a virus, I'm pretty sure a reformat will delete it. :)
Last edited by Dex on Mon Feb 02, 09 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dex
Forum Hero

Postby Tantalus » Mon Feb 02, 09 5:03 pm

As stated before; get Linux.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Gishank » Mon Feb 02, 09 8:01 pm

Intresting. I have Windows Update enabled and i do not have any "TrustedInstaller.exe" process running.
Gishank
Forum Super Hero

Next

Return to Rants & Debates