Accupuncture quackery.

Serious discussion about news, politics and whatever is on your mind.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Accupuncture quackery.

Postby Siva » Sat Feb 21, 09 8:16 pm

My mother can be slightly naive at times, and has fallen for at least 3 scams in the past (none too big.)

Today, she forced me into trying a new scam. Now, I'm aware accupuncture can be an effective treatment for many ailments-- when done right.

We went to see some people at a place called "Herbal Inn" in my local shopping centre. I'd never actually noticed the place before and I was under the impression we were going to a natural health store for some suggestions from a nutritionist.

Not the case.

We walked through the door and my mother stated we had an appointment, which wasn't really the case. They don't actually -do- appointments, moreso they tell you to come in during shop hours at X time. This is to avoid you being with other customers, you'll see why in a minute.

We had a quick 'consultancy' wherein we had to state I had severe gastritis about 5 times until she pretended to understand, and then she proceeded to ask "where it was". I don't know about you, but I am pretty sure you can't have gastritis in your brain. Then a doctor came in and asked me to hold out my wrists, and he looked at my tongue. I'm aware that whiteness of the tongue can signify nausea, among MANY, MANY other conditions.

At this point we were taken back out to the shop front where we were told it would be best for me to have an accupuncture and short massage session.

Right now.

My mother was quick to say yes, naturally I had to ask how much it costs to which they replied £35. Not too much of a scam price I thought so I went with it. The accupuncturist asked me a few questions about my age, education etc whilst he put the needles in, which to my surprise didn't hurt. Until he put the last one in my right wrist, that one hurt like a bitch. Not when he put it in, afterward. It was as though I had a blood clot in my wrist and he jiggled the needle around a little for it to go away.

Then he applied a heated lamp to my stomach (where most of the needles were situated) and said 30 minutes. He turned off the light so I just figured I'd go to sleep.

30 minutes later and he takes the needles out, and asks me to turn over. Upon which he proceeds to knead the fuck out of my spine (seriously, it hurt like hell) and my upper shoulders. Thankfully this was only 10 minutes long.

Overall, I thought it wasn't a raw deal, I actually felt a little better in fact!

That feeling went away and soon gave way to even more nausea when they took us back into the consultancy room. (I say room, imagine a 10ft by 3ft room with a desk taking up a good third of that.)

Then they started to list a fuckton of treatments I "needed". Herbal tea, herbs herbs herbs herbs herbs. Then they said I needed an EIGHT WEEK course of accupuncture, and altogether it was going to cost £360.

£360.

I've been to a private doctor. His consultancy cost £50, including the prescribed medicine. It didn't help an awful lot but it improved my condition somewhat more than this session of accupuncture.

So, back to the £360.

They said they wanted us to pay right then and there and they'd give us 1 session free and 10% discount because I'm a student and reh-teh-teh etc etc.

The pressure selling was so rampant I almost wanted to pay to shut them the hell up.

Once they took a break from talking and pushed the form at us, I pushed it back and let them know we would not be paying now for all of it, and IF we decided to proceed we would purely on a per-session basis. Then they stated they may be booked and the condition could get worse and you need X,Y,Z herb to act in tandem with the accupuncture and because you are young you can heal faster etc etc etc

Eventually I wore them down but my mother still insisted on paying for the treatment plus a two week course of herbal tea. (Drinking it now, tastes like shit)

I've already researched the ingredients. 3 of them are to make it smell nicer and have no health qualities at all, one of them has been used for migrane, but thankfully the last one was used somewhat for Nausea.

Hopefully this isn't ALL bollocks.

Anyway, the moral of the story is

Quacks suck
If it sounds like you're being pressured you're being scammed
Never pay up front
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby Allan » Sat Feb 21, 09 9:43 pm

Wow, that sounds epically bad.

I feel bad for your mum, but at least you stuck it to these quacks, even if it was somewhat in vain.
Allan
Alpha

Postby Mr. Tastix » Sat Feb 21, 09 11:54 pm

That sucks that your mum fell for it, but she'll learn in time. If not the easy way then she'll learn the hard way. By being flat broke because of those scamming bastards, sorry to say.
Blood is thicker than water and sweeter than candy.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby Siva » Sun Feb 22, 09 12:12 am

Psychotic wrote:That sucks that your mum fell for it, but she'll learn in time. If not the easy way then she'll learn the hard way. By being flat broke because of those scamming bastards, sorry to say.

Yup, that's the eventuality

I've tried telling her and giving her ways to ID the real thing but if she wants to buy snake oil I can't stop her altogether
//..
Siva

Postby Wasted. » Sun Feb 22, 09 12:43 am

My mum fell for a fake Paypal scam, where she had to "upgrade" her account, requiring her to type in her details.

Course the site wasn't actually Paypal and the email that she got in the first place was fake. But she realised just in time.

Anyway, watch the Real Hustle.
Wasted.
Addict

Postby Siva » Sun Feb 22, 09 1:32 am

DNA wrote:Anyway, watch the Real Hustle.

I do all the time, and so does she.

She seems to be wise to the typical 419 scam or the mailbox sweepstakes etc, but when it comes to someone trying to shove shit down your throat and pull as much as they can from your wallet she seems to be entirely oblivious.

Even afterward she was arguing with me that it could be 'worth it' and we don't want to run the risk of me getting worse.

It's been 5 years, I doubt I'll die overnight now-- and if I do, I doubt sticking 20 needles in my skin and chugging down all of China's garden plants woulda' stopped it.
//..
Siva

Postby Mr. Tastix » Sun Feb 22, 09 3:22 am

Protocol wrote:It's been 5 years, I doubt I'll die overnight now-- and if I do, I doubt sticking 20 needles in my skin and chugging down all of China's garden plants woulda' stopped it.

That is an awesome way to look at it lol. No, seriously.
Blood is thicker than water and sweeter than candy.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby Leenuks » Mon Feb 23, 09 12:16 am

Sounds like the accupuncturist you went to are not very skilled. A real one would of taken the time to LISTEN to your ailments. Some are so good that they can tell you some just by looking at you.

Chinese medicine is not quackery. Some idiots that claim to be experts when really they know bugger all are what make it look like quackery. Their motivation is money and not the personal care and welfare of the client.

One of the side effects of accupuncture can be feeling worse afterwards, even massage for that matter. One reason is that toxins have been released from your organs, muscles etc and are now flowing through your bloodstream and will be removed from your system via crapping, urination or sweating. If your poo stinks and smell like chemicals then that is whats happened.

As for massage, finding a good one is not easy. Years ago I used to get one done twice a week. The lady who did it was so damn good I would walk out feeling sooooo relaxed and on a high I would head straight home and sleep for a few hours. Best sleeps I had during the week. I have yet to find anyone who can match her skills.

Finding well reputed one is the way to go. Hard to find if you dont know what to look for. Most would recommend you take certain herbals but to force it on you is quite wrong. And making you pay NOW is way out of line. Pay as you go is the best way. I would report that paticular "Herbal Inn" to the medical authorities or even the police. Stand over tactics are just not on.

When and If you decide to search out better ones. Look for Diploma or Certificates from chinese medicine training accademies etc. They should have they hanging on the wall in the main entry/waiting room. Dont be afraid to ask how long they have done this, where they learnt it etc. A reputable one would be happy to talk about thier experiences.

As you would also know from your life experiences that I have read on this forum, your gut feeling is a good thing to go with. If it doesnt feel right get out of there.
Last edited by Leenuks on Mon Feb 23, 09 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leenuks
Wannabe

Return to Rants & Debates