Youth curfews — your opinion?

Serious discussion about news, politics and whatever is on your mind.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Youth curfews — your opinion?

Postby Dae » Wed Apr 15, 09 10:07 pm

(Google pic related)

Today Russian parliament — State Duma — has solidly adopted a decree of youth curfew. It makes illegal for a teenager up to 18 years old to be outside without parents from 10 PM to 6 AM. The violators' parents will be fined.

Apparently youth curfews are being practiced all over the world and there's even a voluntary organization which fights those restrictions.

The main argument for youth curfews is lowering crime. The main argument against them is infringement of kids' and teens' rights and freedom.

What is your opinion on that?
Last edited by Dae on Wed Apr 15, 09 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dae
Alpha

Postby Tantalus » Wed Apr 15, 09 10:24 pm

VERY hard to enforce.

I believe that some discipline is definitely needed for youths everywhere and curfew (whilst ambitious) may prove to be effective.

Time will tell, really.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby clyzm » Thu Apr 16, 09 4:17 am

I agree. Kids have nothing to be doing outside at 10:00 PM whatsoever.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Mastakilla » Thu Apr 16, 09 7:32 am

One word springs to mind; Fascism

I thought we live in a free world? Let us walk outside if we wanna. Criminals wont be bothered by a curfew, if they ignore the law they'll ignore the curfew. It's silly.
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero

Postby Dae » Thu Apr 16, 09 7:58 am

cataclyzm wrote:I agree. Kids have nothing to be doing outside at 10:00 PM whatsoever.

would you call a 17 year old a kid?
Dae
Alpha

Postby ~[ß]Lost~ » Thu Apr 16, 09 8:51 am

What else is there to be done for kids outside after 10PM at night besides getting drunk, partying or committing crimes? I understand the the point of this curfew, but I don't agree with it. I think it's important for people to be doing something social even if it would be at night. Though I don't think it's good during the week, but weekends 8)
Sike
clanb.deus-ex.net

Legion wrote:By default, I'm bi. However I've spent a great deal of time "burying" that aspect of me...
~[ß]Lost~
Poster

Postby clyzm » Thu Apr 16, 09 9:41 pm

Dae wrote:
cataclyzm wrote:I agree. Kids have nothing to be doing outside at 10:00 PM whatsoever.

would you call a 17 year old a kid?

I would. I'm more of a statistical person than anything else. If they're under 18, they're a kid, regardless of how "mature" they think they are.

Call me fascist, communist, old-timer, whatever, but I don't feel comfortable with 12-17 year old kids outside past 10:00 pm in my neighborhood.

I also don't believe you need to be partying and drinking at night to have a good time.
Last edited by clyzm on Thu Apr 16, 09 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Tantalus » Thu Apr 16, 09 9:46 pm

MastaKilla wrote:One word springs to mind; Fascism

I thought we live in a free world? Let us walk outside if we wanna. Criminals wont be bothered by a curfew, if they ignore the law they'll ignore the curfew. It's silly.
One phrase springs to mind: for the greater good. As Alex said, there is nothing productive for a 17 year old to do at that time of night.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Mastakilla » Thu Apr 16, 09 10:02 pm

I believe that there are more criminals above 18 than under 18. Also, why do you need to have something productive to do to be outside? That's bollocks.
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero

Postby Tantalus » Thu Apr 16, 09 10:36 pm

Yes, but who can be charged to a full extent of the law? People 18 or over.

Youths technically can't.

Plus; if you're in darkness, and no one around, you're more likely to get away with crimes.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Siva » Fri Apr 17, 09 12:15 am

Bad idea

You're just as likely to get robbed in broad daylight as you are at night here, and the ones doing the serious consistent night robberies are all usually older than 20 anyway. Most night crimes are comitted by older people.

Maybe it varies from location to location.

Also, what if I wanna' leave a rave at 2am, I can't?
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby clyzm » Fri Apr 17, 09 4:37 am

By the way, the police car in that picture must be bangin' with that glowing POLICE neon sign.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Return to Rants & Debates