Syrian civil war

Serious discussion about news, politics and whatever is on your mind.

Moderator: Forum Guards

“Bashar al-Assad, president of Syria, will no longer be in office on January 1, 2013”.

Poll ended at Tue Dec 04, 12 7:51 pm

True
33%
False
67%

Total votes : 9

Syrian civil war

Postby Dae » Wed Sep 05, 12 7:51 pm

Also, do you follow the conflict in Syria?
Last edited by Dae on Wed Sep 05, 12 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dae
Alpha

Postby Psycho » Wed Sep 05, 12 8:40 pm

The Syrian conflict is plastered all over British news so it's hard not to follow it. If Syria start moving their chemical weapons then I sense more than a civil war.
Psycho
Forum Hero

Postby Tantalus » Thu Sep 06, 12 8:56 pm

I honestly don't think the rebels will last until 2013. Perhaps he might be replaced by a military leader, but nothing would change of course.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Mastakilla » Thu Sep 06, 12 9:16 pm

I'm sure he'll be hanging on for a little while yet.
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero

Postby Kaiden » Fri Sep 07, 12 2:32 am

I don't think he's going anywhere soon. With vetoes from both Russia and China there's no chance of military conflict from outside powers without massive world stage ramifications. If i.e. the British keep supplying the rebels with non-military equipment like communication devices they might get somewhere, but really I have no idea if he'll still be around in a years time, I feel he might.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby Tantalus » Fri Sep 07, 12 5:55 am

Kaiden wrote:With vetoes from both Russia and China there's no chance of military conflict from outside powers without massive world stage ramifications.

Intervention like this in the Middle East might bring another North Korea (becoming armed and ignoring all international conventions)
Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Siva » Wed Sep 12, 12 1:43 pm

I do not know nearly enough about the conflict in Syria to comment, but I'd like to hear more about it, can you guys drop me some links so that I might learn something?
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby Dae » Wed Sep 12, 12 4:23 pm

Protocol wrote:can you guys drop me some links so that I might learn something?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_civil_war

skip to "Uprising and civil war"
Dae
Alpha

Postby Dae » Sun Feb 03, 13 11:30 am

dxalpha wins again
Dae
Alpha

Postby James » Sun Feb 03, 13 5:57 pm

lel
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Clancy Stein » Wed Mar 20, 13 2:13 pm

Things heating up again with Syria gassing people and shelling Lebanon.
Beware the manipulation of Gota and his script.
Clancy Stein
Poster

Postby clyzm » Wed Mar 20, 13 2:15 pm

Such a wasteful war, so many lives lost and historic treasures ruined.

At the same time if al-Assad's regime is toppled who's going to take over in the ensuing power vacuum?
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby clyzm » Fri Aug 30, 13 12:22 am

With this recent chemical attack, the US is pushing for military action against Assad's regime. I also heard Cameron got shot down in parliament about getting involved.

How do you guys think this will end? Will Syria be another Iraq?
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Aidan » Fri Aug 30, 13 12:44 am

I can't even give an educated guess.

At this point in time anything could happen man. Russia has even sent out ships in Defense of Syria.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Psychotic » Fri Aug 30, 13 3:13 am

clyzm wrote:How do you guys think this will end? Will Syria be another Iraq?

I think it's certainly possible, and if it happens I'll only be questioning what resource they're trying to take this time, because there's never a good reason for war.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Aidan » Fri Aug 30, 13 4:04 am

Magniir wrote:
clyzm wrote:How do you guys think this will end? Will Syria be another Iraq?

I think it's certainly possible, and if it happens I'll only be questioning what resource they're trying to take this time, because there's never a good reason for war.

Syria does not have much Oil in their Country anymore. However, they DO have a massive oil line (reserves from neighboring Countries) running through their Country. Not only this, but Syria has tons of Natural Gas.

I think we all know why Syria is the target now.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby ~DJ~ » Fri Aug 30, 13 2:00 pm

I don't follow these things much, but I have a question.. so apologies in advance for my dumbness o:

Why don't we see statements and stuff by the Syrian government (Assad's) in the media? I mean we should least hear both sides right? D:
~DJ~
Forum Super Hero

Postby Psychotic » Fri Aug 30, 13 3:14 pm

Fear, perhaps?
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Siva » Fri Aug 30, 13 3:35 pm

I give it four months before our parliament flip flops and decides Syria has gotten 'serious'. The majority for the first vote was tiny
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby Hanover Fist » Thu Sep 05, 13 6:36 am

Every side seems to want to oust Assad and replace his regime. This may be anlther Iraq, but Im thinking more recent history... another Libya.

The rebels are a hodge podge of militias, some strengthened by a proliferation of Qaeda and Muslim Brotherhood and Shari'a fundamentalists that want to control Syria just like Egypt and Afghanastan etc.

If Assad is ousted there could be destablization like we saw in Iraq when Rumsfeld convinced DoD to send in a fraction of the troops to secure the country, open Pandora's box, then leave it in dissarray where there are more daily bombings and killings than ever before.

(Granted Hussein and Assad gassed their ppl)

Just like when the Muhajadeen was armed to fight Russian encroachment then turned into the Taliban and forced Shari'a down Afghan throats, will the Syrian rebels being armed by DoD and NATO end up putting weapons and power in the hands of Islamic militants.

Just as was done in supplying Libyan rebels to oust Gaddaffi, NATO guns ended up at Benghazi.
Last edited by Hanover Fist on Thu Sep 05, 13 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is a full wallet and a loaded clip
Hanover Fist
Master

Postby clyzm » Thu Sep 05, 13 6:41 am

The rebels really are a hodgepodge

-al-Nusrah Front, which are basically radicalized fundamentalists with open ties to al Qaeda who want sharia law in syria. Been described as the most successful arm of the rebels
-FSA, which are mostly made up of ex-army and just want assad out of power
-Islamic State of The Levant have similar goals to al-nusra but disagree with leadership
-Various mujahadeen from Iraq, Iran, Turkey, Chechnya who are there because they're on a jihad
-Unaffiliated mercenaries from Russia, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Yemen, etc. who just want money and don't care either way
Last edited by clyzm on Thu Sep 05, 13 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby synthetic » Thu Sep 05, 13 12:35 pm

While the government heavily relies on weapons from Russia, on Iran special forces, illegal weapons.

It is true, though, that it is a damn ugly situation. However big of a trash the rebel side looks, Al Assad isn't any better animal.

Every 15 seconds, a Syrian becomes a refugee:
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/03/world ... gees-unhcr

Assad discovers instagram:
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/31/tech/ ... -instagram
Last edited by synthetic on Thu Sep 05, 13 12:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[TSS][¥]{¥+EoD}{RF}{MoH}[G][NEM][UE][N]{U}[REN][BM][FGS][THC][:¤:]
synthetic
Forum Hero

Postby Hanover Fist » Thu Sep 05, 13 7:02 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEcch-r28Bc

After viewing this I see McCain's agenda from last year. This is most certaintly going to lead to Iran and halting the nuclear capabilities of the Hezbollah.

If Obama admin is congressionally approved for its "limited action" there will be bombs, guns, and drones drifting between Lebanon and Syria for the next three years at least.

Kerry essentially let slip that one of the tertiary goals of intervention in Syria is tp disrupt Iran's building nuke capacity and the safeguard of Israel in the event that such nukes fall into the hands of the Hezbollah.

However, Rand Paul raises the question won't western intervention only strengthen the vengeful aims of Islamic militant groups seeking to smash Israel and the west?
Happiness is a full wallet and a loaded clip
Hanover Fist
Master

Postby synthetic » Tue Sep 17, 13 6:23 am

Let us pity the people and not their kings.

From 2000 younger Assad is effectively the King of Syria, heir of Assad senior who himself was a career soldier, opportunistic politician, and came from a poor family.

Older Assad built his new-found kingdom on torture, dissident-arrests, politically motivated executions; but along with the cult of personality began the cultivation of perhaps more modern, western philosophies - quite remarkable in a region with strong islamic traditions, but certainly something that a King can accomplish.

So I am thinking.. so what if the rebels are rabble, their king is just one poor man from among them that seized power through military support and not golden democratic traditions. Bashar al-Assad is just the extension of his father, and really not so different from those very rebels. Take one and throw the other.

Interestingly enough, under the rule of their king, Syria may in fact have better chances of evolving towards enlightenment, education, and democracy that is supported by the two previous pillars. Yet it is so hard to condone the actions of a tyrant - but really, which king is not one? I fear the alternative for those poor people is just another hardline-islam state.

With these thoughts about rebels and their king, I wonder whom do I side with, what outcome would I prefer? I don't really see the difference, the poor sods are fucked either way. Those fortunate, clever enough have fled across the border, and for everyone involved it would be best if the violence stopped, and asap.

Separate note: it is difficult to call the opposition (of govt) anything but rebels, such as freedom fighters, when their entire campaign is so influenced by religion rather than desire for freedom. Should they succeed, they will appoint a new king with a better beard.

It also seems more suitable to use the word Regime instead of government, there. Rebels and the Regime, almost poetic. Politically motivated labeling (and interpretation) of the offenders and defenders always makes me feel fairly poisonous.
Last edited by synthetic on Tue Sep 17, 13 6:36 am, edited 5 times in total.
[TSS][¥]{¥+EoD}{RF}{MoH}[G][NEM][UE][N]{U}[REN][BM][FGS][THC][:¤:]
synthetic
Forum Hero

Postby Clancy Stein » Wed Sep 25, 13 6:22 pm

I have the best beard.
Clancy Stein
Poster

Return to Rants & Debates