Religion

Serious discussion about news, politics and whatever is on your mind.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Religion

Postby ~Hy[ß]rid~ » Sat Dec 09, 06 3:27 pm

I'll never understand why people can believe this shit. Maybe they're are just looking for any hope they can find to support death.

So why do you believe in it? It's clearly all so fragile, it can be shattered by a drop of common sense or a tiddle of science.

Any ideas?
~`[EL]HýbriÐ`~

~Hy[ß]rid~
Master

Postby Krieg » Sat Dec 09, 06 3:45 pm

This is a very dangerous theme to discuss with people.
-Elitist-
Krieg
Forum Super Hero

Postby ~Hy[ß]rid~ » Sat Dec 09, 06 3:52 pm

That's why it's in Rant box, everyone is entitled to thier own opinion.

I don't wanna get flamed if you see it differently, thats my view. If you want to express your view, fine, I'll treat you with the same respect.
~`[EL]HýbriÐ`~

~Hy[ß]rid~
Master

Postby Alex » Sat Dec 09, 06 3:57 pm

I don't believe in religion, as in praying or something. I do believe that there is something, cannot describe what. Why I think this? There are some things that happened in my life that cannot be explained: As example, my cat was missing for a week, and then eventually I wished that my cat would come home, that night, I dreamed that my cat was back home, and the next morning, he returned home. This isn't even the only thing, there are multiple things gone like this, making me believe that there is something. And since I believe in this, my life has been looking better & better. I am almost never negative, even when it rains like hell, I can laugh.
Alex
Alpha

Postby ~Hy[ß]rid~ » Sat Dec 09, 06 4:14 pm

~[A]lex~ wrote:I don't believe in religion, as in praying or something. I do believe that there is something, cannot describe what. Why I think this? There are some things that happened in my life that cannot be explained: As example, my cat was missing for a week, and then eventually I wished that my cat would come home, that night, I dreamed that my cat was back home, and the next morning, he returned home. This isn't even the only thing, there are multiple things gone like this, making me believe that there is something. And since I believe in this, my life has been looking better & better. I am almost never negative, even when it rains like hell, I can laugh.

Nice post. Yeah, there might be something, but it sure as hell has nothing to do with religion. I am still very skeptical about it though.
~`[EL]HýbriÐ`~

~Hy[ß]rid~
Master

Postby Alex » Sat Dec 09, 06 4:26 pm

[A]Hybrid wrote:
~[A]lex~ wrote:I don't believe in religion, as in praying or something. I do believe that there is something, cannot describe what. Why I think this? There are some things that happened in my life that cannot be explained: As example, my cat was missing for a week, and then eventually I wished that my cat would come home, that night, I dreamed that my cat was back home, and the next morning, he returned home. This isn't even the only thing, there are multiple things gone like this, making me believe that there is something. And since I believe in this, my life has been looking better & better. I am almost never negative, even when it rains like hell, I can laugh.

Nice post. Yeah, there might be something, but it sure as hell has nothing to do with religion. I am still very skeptical about it though.

It was the reason why I believe in something outside normal life. Thus explaining why I believe, and not believe at the same time.
Alex
Alpha

Postby Siva » Sat Dec 09, 06 4:30 pm

Religion instills hope in people.

Thats why people believe it.
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby Krieg » Sat Dec 09, 06 5:11 pm

Yep & yep
I believe in nothing untill it can be scientifically proved.
There is no god , satan or what ever you call him/her.
Some people need something to believe in to hold on to something.
But some don't need it , like me , that's why I am an Atheist
-Elitist-
Krieg
Forum Super Hero

Postby Cereal » Sat Dec 09, 06 7:07 pm

XII//:Prod1gy wrote:Religion instills hope in people.

Thats why people believe it.

Is false hope any better than no hope?
What?
Cereal
Regular

Postby EternalDeath » Sat Dec 09, 06 8:55 pm

There are several things I see in religion that I think can be disproven just by common sense, like opinion based afterlife (heaven and hell). If I really start thinking about it then it seems impossible to have opinion based afterlife, good and evil are opinions, so thats why I dont believe in opinion based afterlife or sins or any of that other stuff to do with opinion (They could be the basic laws of the ancient cultures who created these religions. We have basic laws like testing for drivers licences at 16 and capital punishment for murder).

Also how can u know exactly what a god is like? I don't think theres one, but for those who do there are many situations (your god could be female, alien, or any combination of the 2 and other factors) but still I dont believe in any gods.

Back to afterlife. While I think opinion based afterlife is impossible Im not the same about ones that arent opinion based. Basic reincarnation (not Hindu-Buddhist honor sytem type stuff but just being reborn) seems like it might work. Again I ONLY mean being reborn as someone or something else, not caste system.

So I would be atheist

(the suffix theism means belief in gods, polytheism=many gods, monotheism=1 god, atheism=no gods)
EternalDeath
Wannabe

Postby clyzm » Sat Dec 09, 06 9:40 pm

I choose science over bullshit propaganda.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby EternalDeath » Sat Dec 09, 06 9:56 pm

And one thing I really HATE about religion is when people try to convert u or tell u ur beliefs are wrong. This really pisses me off, I just want to beat these "religious fanatics" (thats what I call them). I dont care what their reason is for converting people or criticizing peoples beliefs but I hate all religious fanatics.
EternalDeath
Wannabe

Postby C:Enter:£££ » Sat Dec 09, 06 9:58 pm

My mother is a hardcore christian, my cat disappeared and was turned into the local vets dead a few days later, they have no idea how it died. This was only a few week ago too. All coincidence, religion likes to take the praise when it's good, when it's bad you're blasphemous. It's a load of bullshit.
C:Enter:£££
Forum Legend

Postby Cureless_Poison » Sat Dec 09, 06 9:59 pm

Religion = Instant fail

If you actually read the bible you notice its really REALLY fucking ridiculous that people actually take that shit serious,its just a bloody book,a shitty one at that,Science is the only "Real" way to belive in,cause its the only real solution that has any evidence for it at all,unlike most religions which are based on storys,people,and places from thousands of years ago that were never found,the only religions i actually care for are

Bhuddism
Egyptian Gods
Greek Gods
Satanic

Besides that i think its all bull-shit,and religion is a pretty shitty thing,mostly the christian religion is the worst,cause they try to control everything,Tv,what you can do,how you think,what "God" says is bad has to be removed,like all those ugly bitches you'd never fuck in a million years protesting abortion clinics,they're fucked,and in Canada here theres a display where human body's have been injected with plastic liqiud sorta stuff so you can see all the parts of the body,cause its a real body plasticized,and a stupid priest goes off and says "Well thats not what god intended the body for" fucking ridiculous,so pretty much,i dont mind religion but i fuckin hate christians cause unlike every other religion they cant just go about they're biseness and let everyone do they're thing they gotta try and contol everything like the bastards they are,and sorry if i offend and christians people but fuck your religion,you can belive god all you want but keep it to your fuckin self bastards!
Cureless_Poison
Master

Postby C:Enter:£££ » Sat Dec 09, 06 10:02 pm

Forum Legend

Postby synthetic » Sat Dec 09, 06 10:03 pm

Scientology :lol:

I know quite several religious people, never touch the topic with them and I personally think religion class should be mandatory in school. Many get the point of that in a wrong way though, my teacher was awesome, even though he clearly belonged to a certain church he always taught all religions equally.
So you should know what religion is even if you think its bullshit.

I do hate those religious people that think they are on a mission. Not only they dont respect your views at all they can also put your life in danger in certain situations.

Personally I dont believe in anything supernatural. Religion is here and exists and it has a cause and beginning, created by the mankind in their head.
If people believe in god(s) they obviously gain something from that, but question is what they loose. Rationality I believe.
[TSS][¥]{¥+EoD}{RF}{MoH}[G][NEM][UE][N]{U}[REN][BM][FGS][THC][:¤:]
synthetic
Forum Hero

Postby clyzm » Sat Dec 09, 06 10:03 pm

Somebody warn Cureless_Idiot for flaming, this is a discussion thread, not a flaming thread.

Many people in my community are Christian, I may be the only one who's anti-Christian, and people hate me for it. My friend went up to me one day and said "why are you anti-christian?". I said "I don't believe in bullshit Christianity, and I'm opposed to it." Next moment that guy went "Dude don't say that bullshit!"

Ignorant Christians. Out of all of them I've met most of them are strict to their beliefs and they keep referring to that idiot book, the bible.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Snakey » Sat Dec 09, 06 10:10 pm

I hate any religion believing in one supreme entity, but religions like Buddhism are fine.

Some of the things that people believe these days are completely ridiculous.
<center>

Snakey
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Sat Dec 09, 06 10:18 pm

GMANV2 wrote:I hate any religion believing in one supreme entity, but religions like Buddhism are fine.

Yep.

Like Islam.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Snakey » Sat Dec 09, 06 10:33 pm

And Scientology.
<center>

Snakey
Alpha

Postby C:Enter:£££ » Sat Dec 09, 06 10:45 pm

lol Scientology is just christianity in disguise for the people who are realising the bible is a contradiction bomb.
Forum Legend

Postby Cereal » Sat Dec 09, 06 11:33 pm

cactus-clyzm wrote:
GMANV2 wrote:I hate any religion believing in one supreme entity, but religions like Buddhism are fine.

Yep.

Like Islam.

Islam = Christianity = Juddaism.

It's all 3 the same, too bad they all hate each other and fail to realize it.
What?
Cereal
Regular

Postby rob » Sun Dec 10, 06 12:19 am

i am god.
________
EXTREME VAPORIZER
Last edited by rob on Fri Feb 18, 11 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob
Regular

Postby C:Enter:£££ » Sun Dec 10, 06 1:03 am

Black holes are god, and maybe VV Cephei A.
Forum Legend

Postby EternalDeath » Sun Dec 10, 06 2:27 am

There are many reasons why I prefer atheism other than what I posted about gods and afterlife and these are them (u can find many of these in the link that 69 posted earlier):

-Technology: Atheists want advancement in technology
-Recreation/Fun: Atheists can experience fun without it being a sin or against a church
-Health: Advancement in medical tech., more sanitary conditions

Also what many of Americans do to atheists is Discrimination: Atheists being called communists and other anti-atheist crap, again I hate it when people criticize atheism

btw thanks for that link 69
EternalDeath
Wannabe

Postby clyzm » Sun Dec 10, 06 2:29 am

Oh great, again we are criticized :roll:
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Whiplash » Sun Dec 10, 06 2:32 am

I consider myself somewhere between agnostic and nihlist, the agnostic claims it is impossible to tell whether or not God exists, the nihlist has faith in nothing that has not been proven.

I think about this kind of stuff now and then and I believe that all religion, including Atheism, relies on faith.

Ok, so no-one's proven that there is a God, or an afterlife of any kind, but if you look at the factors that lead to the creation of life on Earth from the Big Bang, if we got here by accident, it was a very, very, lucky accident considering all the ways the universe could have unfolded. That leads me to believe that there was *some* kind of intellegent design involved.

The question is who do you believe is responsible. Traditional religions all have their own answer, most of which don't make sense, but the Atheist will tell you it's all chance. This in and of itself is, IMO faith in chance. Faith my questioning nature does not permit me to have.

Then there's also the question of the afterlife - and it has me completely confused.

I personally have had no 1st hand experience of anything paranormal, although my Mom and a old school friend have made claims I don't know what to make of either. Although I was raised kinda-Catholic, I tend to discount Christianity becuase its moral values seem unethical to me, especially about all non-believers burning in hell and some other afterlife answers that I could not support.

==========================

In summary, I'm a confused agnostic nihlist, I believe in some form of intellegent design but don't know any details, I hope that who or whatever has provided something for us in the afterlife, but I assume that whoever, or whatever they or it is, has a damn good reason for not revealing itself to us.
Come visit XPS

We're recruiting fighters and mappers.

We also offer a public mapping service.
Whiplash

Postby C:Enter:£££ » Sun Dec 10, 06 2:39 am

Me and James found out that the big bang was created through a blackhole, loads of explosive shit got sucked in and blasted through.

We weren't the first ones on this planet, we only got this far through adaption. Clever design my anus.
Forum Legend

Postby clyzm » Sun Dec 10, 06 2:59 am

69 wrote:Me and James found out that the big bang was created through a blackhole, loads of explosive shit got sucked in and blasted through.

We weren't the first ones on this planet, we only got this far through adaption. Clever design my anus.

Where the hell did you learn this?
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby C:Enter:£££ » Sun Dec 10, 06 3:10 am

I thought it up, sounds more believable than "he created the sky, then created some land, then seperated the northmoon trolls with a candy cane" lol

Who are these guys at 2am in a van and suits and shades and guns. Argh it's the FBI! I found out the secret :x
Forum Legend

Next

Return to Rants & Debates