Map protection / protector question

Talk about any Deus Ex game modification here, e.g. maps, package or a total conversion.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Map protection / protector question

Postby WeeCrab » Wed Jul 29, 09 6:32 am

Hi,

I mainly played DXMP around ~2002-2004. I used to map for DXMP a lot but only finished about 5 DXMP maps, most which sucked. DXMP_Paris, DXMP_TunnelNetwork, DXMP_DeathSwamp, 1 or 2 others I can't remember - they weren't spectacular. I have loads (hundreds) of unfinished DXMP maps, some small bits, some nearly finished - all old though.

Anyways, I recently started playing again (maybe about almost a year ago) and started mapping a little (much better now) and hosting a more classic type of DXMP server every once in a while. 3 augs max, max skills, no large filesize or drastically game-changing mods, with some small size/small filesize unique maps, one being my own - a new one called Lacuna. (btw - max skills because there aren't enough players nowadays. If there were more players, it'd be viable to go with the classic setup where you start at skill 1).

Today my friend pointed out that Dogny had rip-cached the map and was hosting it. I googled DXMP map protection and it led me to a forum thread here, and I read it was irreversable, cool.

So I have two questions - does anyone know if he's able to un-protect a map? Because if he can un-protect it, I'd rather leave it unprotected - because I don't mind if other people rip-cache it and host it. But I'm pretty sure his server sends a virus or something, so I wouldn't want 'my map' to cause someone to get a virus.

If it's definitely impossible to un-protect, may I please use it on my map the next time I update it?

Thanks,
Wee

Edit: Oops, wait a second - Even if I protect the map with the tool, is it still possible to rip-cache it? Oops..

I very much appreciate any help in advance
Last edited by WeeCrab on Wed Jul 29, 09 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
WeeCrab

Postby Alex » Wed Jul 29, 09 8:21 am

The map protection is to prevent people from modifying your map in UnrealEd.

As for preventing other people to host your map: That would require some coding.
Alex
Alpha

Postby WeeCrab » Wed Jul 29, 09 9:32 am

Thanks for explaining that.
So would I be correct in saying there is no existing/common way to prevent a map from being rip-cached?

I'm truly not trying to be selfish, I wouldn't mind other servers hosting my map but it does bother me a bit that Dogny is hosting it. Can I do anything?
WeeCrab

Postby MainMan » Wed Jul 29, 09 9:35 am

You can use the unreal package edit tool to stop it being downloaded from a server, but people would be able to un-set the flag equally easily with the tool.
<center>ty m7
</center>
MainMan
<i>Tru' Playa' Fer Defs</i>

Postby Alex » Wed Jul 29, 09 9:38 am

WeeCrab wrote:Thanks for explaining that.
So would I be correct in saying there is no existing/common way to prevent a map from being rip-cached?

I'm truly not trying to be selfish, I wouldn't mind other servers hosting my map but it does bother me a bit that Dogny is hosting it. Can I do anything?

There is no public available solution, no. You can't prevent Dogny from hosting it.

MænMan wrote:You can use the unreal package edit tool to stop it being downloaded from a server, but people would be able to un-set the flag equally easily with the tool.

Means noone can play? Or you'd have to spread the .dx file. Not really a solution.
Alex
Alpha

Postby WeeCrab » Wed Jul 29, 09 10:10 am

Alright, thanks again.

Btw - does he still distribute a keylogger to clients who join his server?
I was typing in XFire with the first server (Dogny's) server selected and because XFire sucks with DX, a key press transferred to DX and it began to join his server, but I tabbed over and hit F10 when the map download was at only like 15%. Is his server still a virus-distributor? I don't really know a lot about him or his server. I Googled some things long ago and read that his server gave a virus if you joined.

The reason I ask is because if he doesn't do that anymore, then I really don't care if he hosts a map of mine. :P
WeeCrab

Postby ~DJ~ » Wed Jul 29, 09 6:31 pm

Dogny's server was NEVER EVER spreading viruses, that's just lame. If you meant Dejavu, then it's different.

HDD21 told Edh people that Dogny has virus in there server if you go there, because he dint wanted them to get in that server (Politics, less people = server dead) and then Edh just spread his word.

There was a way to protect your map from hosting it.. but it requires coding. All you do is that firstly make a string/int (String = alphabets, INT = Numbers, if you want number password, you can just goto 'int'.. or if you just want a normal alphabets password, use 'string') and then make a tick/timer function and add that if your string/int isn't equal to your password, it debug crashes you.. be sure that you don't make the string/int's name like "pass, password" etc etc.. because that's dumb and people can well.. understand it.. and maybe get the password easily..

I am gonna do some example here...

Code: Select all
var string lolololol;

function Tick(float deltatime)
{
if(lolololol == 'yourpasshere')
{
return;
}
else
if(lolololol != 'yourpasshere')
{
ConsoleCommand("Debug GPF");
}
}

defaultproperties
{
lolololol=NOTYOURPASSHERE, PUT SOMETHING RANDOM.
}

That's just an example, haven't tested it.. :/

but there..

Anyways, after you have compiled the package, you paste that actor in your map, and rebuild, save.

Well, after that, go in Deus Ex, run your map, see if you crash.

if you do crash, that means it worked.

well, to host your map back again.

you open your DeusEx.ini

scroll till end.. and do something like this..

[MyPackage.MyClass]
lolololol=your real pass here

So you won't crash yourself.
Last edited by ~DJ~ on Wed Jul 29, 09 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~DJ~
Forum Super Hero

Postby MainMan » Thu Jul 30, 09 12:33 am

No, that could easily be overcome by having a dummy package made. All you need to know is the package name and the class name (which could be found from the UEd package not found log entry)

I did however, do a similar thing with MMCity to ensure that the thing was only hosted together and as one unit, and with my permission. I had a custom gametype, and also a server-side package which was required both by the mod, and by the map, to ensure proper spawning of players. The server-side package had a custom server uplink class also which handled the server beacon etc.

Try and mess around with something like that. Tie in both the map and the mod, so that the mod is required to enter the map correctly, and make the mod dependant on a server-side package (have it check the uplinker class, or something, rather than extending a class, as that won't be server-side). The mod should also extend DXMTL152 just to make it even more pleasant for decachers, and protect the map, of course.
Last edited by MainMan on Thu Jul 30, 09 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
<center>ty m7
</center>
MainMan

Postby WeeCrab » Thu Jul 30, 09 1:34 am

Hmmmm, thinking.

Originally I had the idea of making a very small, confusingly-named package, like llllllllll which instantly downloads since it's so small, and all it has is one actor, something like NewFirePlug extends FirePlug, then stick that in the map. I got past my own defense though by attempting to open the map in UED without the mod. It shows the packagename in the UED log and in a Windows error that pops up like MaenMan said, but I can't copy/paste from either, but I can screenshot it and re-type it myself, so I can get the package name. After I had the packagename, I made another dummy package with the name and compiled. When I opened the map, then of course, it tells me exactly which class is missing: modname.NewFirePlug, so that is as MaenMan says.

But wouldn't DJ's idea work? Ah wait... nvm, I think if one manually rip-cached each and every mod they'd eventually find the right one.

--

Hmm, but wait, maybe this is all moot - you said Dogny never hosted a virus? Maybe what I read was the HDD21 message to Edh long ago? But, I always thought there was something malicious about his server because he puts "100% SAFE (SECURE) SERVER" in lime green text. Kinda like how pills and stuff sold on infomercials are "100% safe/ Guaranteed!!" etc. So there's nothing malicious at all about his server? Why is he so hated/infamous then, if I may ask? Just because he rip-caches and host others' maps? or is there more?
(I'm not trying to stir up any drama, but if he doesn't do anything malicious then I don't mind too much if he hosts it)
Last edited by WeeCrab on Thu Jul 30, 09 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
WeeCrab

Postby ~DJ~ » Thu Jul 30, 09 2:32 am

MænMan wrote:No, that could easily be overcome by having a dummy package made. All you need to know is the package name and the class name (which could be found from the UEd package not found log entry)

I did however, do a similar thing with MMCity to ensure that the thing was only hosted together and as one unit, and with my permission. I had a custom gametype, and also a server-side package which was required both by the mod, and by the map, to ensure proper spawning of players. The server-side package had a custom server uplink class also which handled the server beacon etc.

Try and mess around with something like that. Tie in both the map and the mod, so that the mod is required to enter the map correctly, and make the mod dependant on a server-side package (have it check the uplinker class, or something, rather than extending a class, as that won't be server-side). The mod should also extend DXMTL152 just to make it even more pleasant for decachers, and protect the map, of course.

Dogny isn't that advance that he's gonna go get the package name and the class name, basically, make it serverside, and also protect the modification so the dude won't get the password.

My opinion, just use that thing. :p

WeeCrab wrote:Hmm, but wait, maybe this is all moot - you said Dogny never hosted a virus? Maybe what I read was the HDD21 message to Edh long ago? But, I always thought there was something malicious about his server because he puts "100% SAFE (SECURE) SERVER" in lime green text. Kinda like how pills and stuff sold on infomercials are "100% safe/ Guaranteed!!" etc. So there's nothing malicious at all about his server? Why is he so hated/infamous then, if I may ask? Just because he rip-caches and host others' maps? or is there more?
(I'm not trying to stir up any drama, but if he doesn't do anything malicious then I don't mind too much if he hosts it)

Dogny is just known as the dumbest, moron, selfish, rude, asshole, stealer.. because.. He steals the map/mod, adds his OWN copyrights, etc etc... he says that he made it, forexample.. he decached Alpha's TZ and made everything his, added his own credits...
~DJ~
Forum Super Hero

Postby WeeCrab » Thu Jul 30, 09 3:29 am

Well that's kinda silly. Why go thru the trouble of adding fake copyrights? I Googled him and found his blog or whatever and he claims he hosts other people's maps because they keep the map/mod code to themselves and then eventually leave DX - he gave the example of JimBowen's mod, which - I actually agree with. I'd like to see that mod hosted again but it appears that it can't be hosted anymore (only Jim could).

But, that's pretty stupid if he takes credit for making the map himself... o.0
Last edited by WeeCrab on Thu Jul 30, 09 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
WeeCrab

Postby ~DJ~ » Thu Jul 30, 09 3:38 am

What if WE actually DON'T WANT him to host?

Does he have MORE rights than we do on our OWN Mods/Maps?

I am still in DX, heck, Kai is still in DX, Wild is in DX, she even has her OWN server with those modifications, but why DOES HE want to host them?
~DJ~
Forum Super Hero

Postby WeeCrab » Thu Jul 30, 09 4:02 am

Wha.... huh? I understand if you don't want him to host your map. I meant, me, personally, I don't care if he hosts mine. But what I was calling silly is the fact that he edits the map and calls them his own. I don't like that.. obviously :/

(On a side note, who is "Wild"? Not "~[DB~WildCat", right?)
WeeCrab

Postby ~DJ~ » Thu Jul 30, 09 4:11 am

[DB]WildCat.. yes that's right, if you refer to the Urban Terror clan.
~DJ~
Forum Super Hero

Postby WeeCrab » Thu Jul 30, 09 4:26 am

Erm. "~[DB]~Wildcat" (or someone else using that name) was the reason that I ended up downloading Nephthys and was the first person I banned on my server. Someone using the name (long ago) joined my server when it was empty and did the repeated join exploit (same IP, I checked) to bring it down. Happened several times until I installed Nepthys.

Not sure why anyone would want to crash me, I hosted 3 small maps with small filesize and minimal small filesize DXMP-relevant mods. Well, whatever..
Last edited by WeeCrab on Thu Jul 30, 09 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
WeeCrab

Postby MainMan » Thu Jul 30, 09 9:25 am

Guys - read my post again. You need to create a client-side actor, which is required for the map to load - hence I recommend something which handles the player spawning. That way making a dummy class would be pointless, as he won't be able to get into the map. THEN, make a server-side package which can be in the form of a server uplink beacon or something, which the client-side package will check for, and if it does not find it, fail.

Protect the map, and protect both mod packages, using the more advanced _ parameter.
<center>ty m7
</center>
MainMan

Postby Shinobi » Tue Mar 08, 11 5:00 am

~DJ~ wrote:Dogny's server was NEVER EVER spreading viruses, that's just lame. If you meant Dejavu, then it's different.

HDD21 told Edh people that Dogny has virus in there server if you go there, because he dint wanted them to get in that server (Politics, less people = server dead) and then Edh just spread his word.

There was a way to protect your map from hosting it.. but it requires coding. All you do is that firstly make a string/int (String = alphabets, INT = Numbers, if you want number password, you can just goto 'int'.. or if you just want a normal alphabets password, use 'string') and then make a tick/timer function and add that if your string/int isn't equal to your password, it debug crashes you.. be sure that you don't make the string/int's name like "pass, password" etc etc.. because that's dumb and people can well.. understand it.. and maybe get the password easily..

I am gonna do some example here...

Code: Select all
var string lolololol;

function Tick(float deltatime)
{
if(lolololol == 'yourpasshere')
{
return;
}
else
if(lolololol != 'yourpasshere')
{
ConsoleCommand("Debug GPF");
}
}

defaultproperties
{
lolololol=NOTYOURPASSHERE, PUT SOMETHING RANDOM.
}

That's just an example, haven't tested it.. :/

but there..

Anyways, after you have compiled the package, you paste that actor in your map, and rebuild, save.

Well, after that, go in Deus Ex, run your map, see if you crash.

if you do crash, that means it worked.

well, to host your map back again.

you open your DeusEx.ini

scroll till end.. and do something like this..

[MyPackage.MyClass]
lolololol=your real pass here

So you won't crash yourself.

Could someone please explain in more detail how this could be done??
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Shinobi
Master

Postby Alex » Tue Mar 08, 11 9:09 am

That example doesn't work, as DJ never defined the variable as a configurable variable.
Alex
Alpha

Postby Shinobi » Tue Mar 08, 11 10:39 am

blah blah blah edited post
Last edited by Shinobi on Wed Mar 09, 11 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Shinobi
Master

Return to Modifications