Steps to hosting a mutator? What did I forget?

Talk about any Deus Ex game modification here, e.g. maps, package or a total conversion.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Steps to hosting a mutator? What did I forget?

Postby WeeCrab » Sun Jan 24, 10 8:54 am

Hello

I used to host a dedicated DX server with a mutator that changed the player skins of the JC, NSF, UNATCO, and MJ12 characters to other unique combinations of multiskins. The new skins weren't custom textures, they were just existing DX skins in interesting combinations to make "new" characters.

I still have this mutator on my computer, and it works fine when I host it. (For Deathmatch at least. It doesn't work for TDM, but that's fine.) When I host it, and go into behindview, I can see that the mutator has properly changed my skin.

Recently, someone was nice enough to host my few maps on their own server, and allows me to connect to the server with Remote Desktop, so I can paste maps into the machine's map folder and edit the DeusEx.ini accordingly, etc.

I transferred my maps and the mutator over, and updated the DX.ini accordingly to cycle through the maps. Now, I only needed to properly install the mutator.

-

I put my SkinMut.u in the /System folder, added "ServerPackages=SkinMut" to DeusEx.ini, and this section to DXMTL.ini:

[DXMTL152b1.MTLMenuScreenHostGame]
CurrentGameType=DXMTL152b1.MTLDeathMatch
ServerMode=0
MutatorList=SkinMut.SkinMut
bKeepMutators=True

The fields are exactly the same on my computer and on the server's (although on my comp, the aforementioned ini section is at the top of the ini, and on the server's, it's at the bottom, but I don't think that matters)

The mutator does not work on the new server. The server is only hosting MTL152b1, nephthys and miniMTL. My server only hosted MTL152b1 and nephthys, but I ruled out miniMTL preventing the mutator from working by removing it from the ini and testing again. Still wasn't working. What step have I missed in "installing" a basic mutator?
Last edited by WeeCrab on Sun Jan 24, 10 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
WeeCrab

Postby WeeCrab » Sun Jan 24, 10 2:35 pm

<---- newb

Sorry. It was my user error, and not related to installing a mutator properly. For anyone curious, the mutator must be in the bat file which execs the server..

DeusEx.exe DXMP_Cmd?Game=DXMTL152b1.MTLDeathMatch?Mutator=Modname.Mutname?-server etc

edit: if you want, you can delete this thread
Last edited by WeeCrab on Sun Jan 24, 10 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WeeCrab

Postby MainMan » Sun Jan 24, 10 7:30 pm

GREAT TOPIC B8B
<center>ty m7
</center>
MainMan
<i>Tru' Playa' Fer Defs</i>

Return to Modifications