Summer 101

Talk about any Deus Ex game modification here, e.g. maps, package or a total conversion.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Summer 101

Postby SimonDenton » Sun Oct 03, 10 12:11 pm

Hello fellow modders,

My mod, Summer 101, was doing so well last year with ZeroPresence and VodunLoas producing some sweet maps, and DJ coding for the project. Then before their tasks were done, and they were only 10% from finishing, they just left. ZeroPresence and VodunLoas don't reply to my emails anymore. DJ left with a reason that I accepted, but without him, and without those great level designers and modelers, the mod is in jeopardy.

I am asking if there are any talented Deus Ex modders out there that could help with Mapping/Coding/Modeling/Animating/Skinning that would be great :D

View the moddb page here http://www.moddb.com/mods/summer-101
Last edited by SimonDenton on Sun Oct 03, 10 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SimonDenton
Wannabe

Postby SimonDenton » Mon Jun 13, 11 6:25 am

Death of this mod is imminent. We're planning to release all the work we've done before the unfixable compiler errors corrupted the whole mod. So you'll be able to pretty much explore the maps and find secret areas and pretend there were the custom stuff like weapons, side missions and other smaller things.

The mod started out ambitious but I scaled it down to just
-New Maps
-New Weapons
-New Missions
-Modifying player class so there are no augs or any unnecessary stuff

So far we have the new maps done. But since coding is tricky in addition with finding a modeler for weapons etc., the result of the mod is undesirable at the moment. I still don't want my first mod to turn out as a bad failure, so at least we're releasing something.

If you see potential in this mod and you are willing to help out JUST a little bit, please let me know.
SimonDenton
Wannabe

Postby Alex » Mon Jun 13, 11 9:30 am

What are these 'unfixable compiler errors' you speak of?
Alex
Alpha

Postby SimonDenton » Mon Jun 13, 11 10:16 am

Hey Alex!

I cannot remember without checking the packages but I do remember errors that never showed up from simple things like item names not being replaced or weapon icons being totally wrong. I do remember errors asking for classes that never existed such as "Summer.Sign". We never had a class called Sign yet it is asking for it. All sorts of bad stuff.
SimonDenton
Wannabe

Postby Alex » Mon Jun 13, 11 2:28 pm

SimonDenton wrote:Hey Alex!

I cannot remember without checking the packages but I do remember errors that never showed up from simple things like item names not being replaced or weapon icons being totally wrong. I do remember errors asking for classes that never existed such as "Summer.Sign". We never had a class called Sign yet it is asking for it. All sorts of bad stuff.

Please check the packages and send them (if you're willing to of course :)) to me, I can take a quick glance at them.
Alex
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Mon Jun 13, 11 4:46 pm

WOW. I just looked over this mod last night, and I must say I am VERY impressed with the progress as of current.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby SimonDenton » Sun Jun 19, 11 3:41 am

Thanks guys.

Well we'll be releasing the alpha version so people can do their own thing and possibly give it to us to build on with. I think it'll be great letting the community make some creative things and help contribute it towards a bigger build of the mod. Check out this topic in the DXEditing forum of Off Topic Productions for info on the errors I get.
SimonDenton
Wannabe

Postby ~DJ~ » Sun Jun 19, 11 10:35 am

Good luck Simon. It's a good thing you're doing, as I said.. :oops:
~DJ~
Forum Super Hero

Postby ~ô¿ô~Nobody~ » Thu Jun 23, 11 7:03 pm

A big modification that suffers.. COMPILER ERRORS? :shock:

I'd like to know what kind of compiler errors can cause something like that.. must be a new generation of errors.. :shock:
Last edited by ~ô¿ô~Nobody~ on Thu Jun 23, 11 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody is perfect...
------------------------------
Longc[A]t wrote:I still think Dae is a russian spambot.

~[A]Daedalus~ wrote:There will be a day when my patience goes away and you, along with all who rant with you, will get banned.

ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.
~ô¿ô~Nobody~
Alpha

Postby SimonDenton » Wed Jul 06, 11 4:14 am

Summer 101 is released on Moddb now. Thanks to everyone for your support! May it continue so my mod can grow with your contributions into something that fulfills the potential it deserves.
SimonDenton
Wannabe

Postby bambi » Fri Jul 08, 11 5:34 am

looks pretty sick. I'd love to download that classroom map and use it for multiplayer
bambi
Regular

Postby SimonDenton » Fri Jul 08, 11 10:17 am

Thanks bud! The Classroom.dx map should be in my gamefront uploaded rar archive. Feel free to use it but give SimonDenton (me) and Trasher credit please as the mod may not be complete but we still spent 3 years working on it.

Thanks guys!
SimonDenton
Wannabe

Postby Marder » Sun Jul 10, 11 5:39 pm

Hi Simon,

I've been letting the mulitplayer editors know about your mod.

At the moment there is a guy called "Ketchup" who is working on a Ketchup bottle weapon. Thought it could fit well in your mod.

I think it's a great idea and could be a lot of fun.
A multiplayer RPG version would be cool. Detention for bad pupils. School dinner fights. Missions to steal something in headmaster's office.
Last edited by Marder on Sun Jul 10, 11 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marder
Poster

Postby ~DJ~ » Sun Jul 10, 11 6:35 pm

Marder wrote:At the moment there is a guy called "Ketchup" who is working on a Ketchup bottle weapon. Thought it could fit well in your mod.

How come? :o

I don't see how school and ketchup mixes. :lol:
~DJ~
Forum Super Hero

Postby ~ô¿ô~Nobody~ » Sun Jul 10, 11 9:17 pm

It didn't sound like he would continue the mod, tho.
Nobody is perfect...
------------------------------
Longc[A]t wrote:I still think Dae is a russian spambot.

~[A]Daedalus~ wrote:There will be a day when my patience goes away and you, along with all who rant with you, will get banned.

ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.
~ô¿ô~Nobody~
Alpha

Postby SimonDenton » Mon Jul 11, 11 1:25 am

Sounds like a great idea! Glad to see some people willing to add onto the mod!

To those who downloaded it are the maps fun to explore? Models, textures and other things that were not imported and not included in Darma's souce code will be released later.

Thanks again for the support guys!
SimonDenton
Wannabe

Postby SimonDenton » Mon Jul 11, 11 1:30 am

~DJ~ wrote:
How come? :o

I don't see how school and ketchup mixes. :lol:

We're too cool for school :D Using weapons on people and finding stuff is the fun of the mod :D The books in my build don't work properly so I might add that task to the list for the patch. The patches for S101 will be for things I was unable to do myself like importing a weapon model and making the weapon class work. I feel like working on this again :D
Last edited by SimonDenton on Mon Jul 11, 11 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
SimonDenton
Wannabe

Postby SimonDenton » Mon Jul 11, 11 6:07 am

S101 0.2

We will continue to update Summer 101 by adding our own and your contributions to our core build as well as giving developers easy access to the newly updated assets. We also have some requests that we would appreciate but you can do your own thing if you like.

Build
- Adding IBM Computer Monitors (Model and Textures) in addition with different network protocols which replace the original Deus Ex computers and networks.
- Adding locker doors which can only be unlocked by using the keypad (or hacking).
- Adding text to the educational text books in the classrooms.
- Adding a proper menu map with the Summer 101 Sun Logo.
- Adding life to the maps with Trasher’s reskins.
- Replacing Deus Ex terminals with a bulletin board mesh.
- Updating Darma’s maps eliminating some map errors in geometry and updating minor things as well.
- Updating the mission script so if you get knocked out (“die”) in single player in the school interior level you will immediately respawn at the medical room.
- Updating end credits.

Developer

Instead of continually releasing the interior maps with updates that other modders will have to keep adapting to, we’re giving you the new assets separately so you can continue on with your levels while we do our own ting with out maps.

- Prefab for locker doors with keypad locks.
- A new folder inside the MAPS folder with separate levels organised such as Trasher’s detailed classroom level.
- Mission script folder inside the SYSTEM folder for allowing players in single player to respawn at a specific teleport node in the map.

Requests

You don’t have to do these if you don’t like to but it would really help. Most of the community is willing to help out with multiplayer. Most of the multiplayer stuff will be in the form of mutators.

- A server mutator for reskinning mj12, unatco, nsf and JCDenton player classes.
- Class uc files of any Deus Ex character reskins you wish to give us.

Thanks for your support! Hopefully this mod can extend the playtime with Deus Ex Multiplayer with something different and give players an enjoyable exploration play time in single player.
Last edited by SimonDenton on Wed Jul 13, 11 2:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
SimonDenton
Wannabe

Postby Cozmo » Mon Jul 11, 11 9:49 am

Ooh, I like the way this is being worked on now - open community driven dev thing. Might have to contribute a few small things. :)
Cozmo_RPG (v1 & v2)
MPConversations - A tool for creating multiplayer RPG stuff
Cozmo
Master

Postby SimonDenton » Mon Jul 11, 11 10:34 am

That's what I like to see! Yeah that was what I am aiming for a the moment and glad that awesome modders like you noticed! It's an honor :)
Last edited by SimonDenton on Mon Jul 11, 11 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
SimonDenton
Wannabe

Postby SimonDenton » Tue Jul 12, 11 5:34 am

I am not sitting back and watching everyone else try to help me but I am going to do things to...maybe after a bit more help :D I can do all of the bullet point things in the previous post under Build but I hope I can get some cool reskins and some server mutator classes for multiplayer.

Even with that stuff done I'd be very happy but before final exams I would be eager to do more for 0.3 and I am thinking ahead a bit. Let's just say I have a static mesh of a pencil and I was to extend the throwing knife and change some properties like not drawing blood etc. I know that replacing the 3rdPersonMesh with the pickup static mesh of that pencil will turn out good but how do I do that with the FIRST PERSON mesh? Since it has animation it might be complicated but is there a way I can just replace the throwing knife component with the pencil and somehow glue it to where the throwing knife was?

If I can accomplish this.............THEN SAY HELLO TO NEW WEAPONS!!! :D Summer 101 weapons are essentially Deus Ex mesh and texture and text reskins but they would definitely fit in my universe. If I can get this mesh problem out of the way then expect:
- Throwing Pencils
- Fire Crackers
- Stink Bombs
- Itching Powder

Plus pickups such as:
-Energy drinks to boost bioelectrical energy
-Foods like donuts for filling up health
-Camera for taking pictures

This is all still ambitious as the mod was when firstly announced in '09 but hey, we might be able to fulfill this after all. Like I said this is getting to the stage of asking too much from the community so if you are willing to contribute stick to the Requests in the above post but if you are a big enthusiast in this kind of thing then this will help :D

The reaction from the community has surprised me greatly and great to see people are willing to expand this mod. Let's get to the stage of v 0.2 and we'll see about my weapons problem and get 0.3 done so multiplayer modders can add proper weapons rather than...say pepper spray and batons only.

Thanks again!
SimonDenton
Wannabe

Postby SimonDenton » Tue Jul 12, 11 3:07 pm

Well I luckily got the actual main menu up:
For some reason the credits don't work (old DX text instead of mine)

and somewhat got the slingshot to work:

Just need to figure out how to center it and how to make the player equip it instead of me having to do it manually in the inventory menu.

I recompiled my old source code but spent hours making it neat and tidy so this stuff can now work. I need to chase up some textures from my old modellers and fix some error saying Class IBM Cannot find class "Extends Object" in this:

Code: Select all
///////////////////////////////////////////////////
// IBMComputerBox.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////

class IBMComputerBox extends Object
abstract;

#exec MESH IMPORT MESH=IBMComputerBox ANIVFILE=MODELS\IBMComputerBox_a.3d DATAFILE=MODELS\IBMComputerBox_d.3d X=0 Y=0 Z=0
#exec MESH ORIGIN MESH=IBMComputerBox X=0 Y=0 Z=0

#exec MESH SEQUENCE MESH=IBMComputerBox SEQ=All STARTFRAME=0 NUMFRAMES=30
// add further '#exec MESH SEQUENCE' lines here to define additional animation sections

#exec MESHMAP NEW MESHMAP=IBMComputerBox MESH=IBMComputerBox

//Edit X, Y, and Z values in line below to change size of mesh in game
#exec MESHMAP SCALE MESHMAP=IBMComputerBox X=0.151421 Y=0.151421 Z=0.151421

#exec TEXTURE IMPORT NAME=IBMComputerBoxTex0 FILE=textures\ GROUP=Skins FLAGS=2
#exec MESHMAP SETTEXTURE MESHMAP=IBMComputerBox NUM=0 TEXTURE=IBMComputerBoxTex0

#exec TEXTURE IMPORT NAME=IBMComputerBoxTex1 FILE=textures\ GROUP=Skins FLAGS=2
#exec MESHMAP SETTEXTURE MESHMAP=IBMComputerBox NUM=1 TEXTURE=IBMComputerBoxTex1

#exec TEXTURE IMPORT NAME=IBMComputerBoxTex2 FILE=textures\ GROUP=Skins FLAGS=2
#exec MESHMAP SETTEXTURE MESHMAP=IBMComputerBox NUM=2 TEXTURE=IBMComputerBoxTex2

defaultproperties
{
    DrawType=DT_Mesh
    Mesh=IBMComputerBox
}
Last edited by SimonDenton on Tue Jul 12, 11 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SimonDenton
Wannabe

Postby SimonDenton » Tue Jul 12, 11 3:10 pm

I cannot edit the above post for some reason but does anyone know how to get rid of that shifter version part? Thanks :D
SimonDenton
Wannabe

Postby SimonDenton » Tue Jul 12, 11 4:06 pm

Most original DX Mod Easter Egg? Get to interview me in game and ask questions!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSmqHvFNj8g
SimonDenton
Wannabe

Return to Modifications