Discussion of open-source etc

Talk about any Deus Ex game modification here, e.g. maps, package or a total conversion.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Postby Alex » Tue Oct 12, 10 8:26 am

James wrote:Security is security, there's no modification forum but there was quite a beast of a forum full of pirated or not works which myself has contributed to.

I can't remember, to be honest. I do know we have 'A private forum only for Alpha & friends for sharing of miscellaneous stuff, which some strange people find illegal.' Please, tell me more, I might've just forgotten.

And security is security, I see. Thing is, some modifications we made exploit loopholes etc in the system, even if it only adds features. Of course, some modifications could be opensource, and that's why I - later on - released some source's in the Scripting Society.
Alex
Alpha

Postby James » Tue Oct 12, 10 8:37 am

Did you not see I used the same play on words?, that was proving the hypocrite comment on an earlier post

Then why were you so bothered?, we both agree on some things should have a closed source so you shouldn't really care if an author's using other lesser modifications. You indeed have the right to defend your motives but your past actions don't really warrant respect(?) (supported by that forum) and that kid just simply wanted it to use.

At the end of the day mine and your opinions are worth nothing, the main point of my post was imagination and experience directed at everyone at as a note about I strongly believe it would have been a lot better if we kept select mods publicly open sourced so we didn't hide it away between our closest partners. Our adolescent minds were very overzealous and clingy towards anyone else using our bigger works. (competitive?) I can see for sure we've might have strayed plenty of people looking into creating their own modifications even if it was a rehash or his own version of Bowen's weapons or something, but that's progress and he didn't have to ask.

Most people like to gut things and see how they work and in hindsight we should have helped these people instead of worrying about FunLinewithaddedhookers.u, that is my argument and it hasn't strayed from my original post.
Last edited by James on Tue Oct 12, 10 8:43 am, edited 7 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Alex » Tue Oct 12, 10 10:43 am

Seriously James, just bloody tell me what forum you mean, so I can actually participate in this discussion. Leaving me out in the dark aint really fair, is it now? Why are you avoiding the question "What forum do you mean"?
Alex
Alpha

Postby James » Sat Oct 16, 10 9:46 am

Alex wrote:'A private forum only for Alpha & friends for sharing of miscellaneous stuff, which some strange people find illegal.'

Sorry I was being awkwardly late to be annoying.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Alex » Sat Oct 16, 10 11:32 am

James wrote:
Alex wrote:'A private forum only for Alpha & friends for sharing of miscellaneous stuff, which some strange people find illegal.'

Sorry I was being awkwardly late to be annoying.

Uh, I guess. But you mean that forum? Or which one do you mean? I do want to know! :)
Alex
Alpha

Postby James » Sat Oct 16, 10 12:23 pm

Yes. Out of respect I didn't mention it.
Last edited by James on Sat Oct 16, 10 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Alex » Sat Oct 16, 10 2:41 pm

James wrote:Yes. Out of respect I didn't mention it.

Sure thing, out of respect, you wont remind me of something I forgotten and which you tried using as an argument. Tell me, there was no forum like the one you described, was there? ;)
Alex
Alpha

Postby James » Sat Oct 16, 10 3:53 pm

But where would my anime torrents belong to????????????
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Alex » Sat Oct 16, 10 6:24 pm

James wrote:But where would my anime torrents belong to????????????

Yeah, that's that forum I mentioned, but as far as I know (which this entire discussion was about), we did not share any sources of other modifications there, did we now?
Alex
Alpha

Postby James » Sat Oct 16, 10 6:43 pm

I didn't even mention that or directed it to that, obviously (although avoided because of amusement) the argument on that side was that you help distribute more serious copyrighted works that you shouldn't. My argument stands in stone and it hasn't strayed from my original post.

Just saying it's kind of shitty that you got peeved at Nobody distributing something similar to their situation but a less more minor.
Last edited by James on Sat Oct 16, 10 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Previous

Return to Modifications