New map.

Talk about any Deus Ex game modification here, e.g. maps, package or a total conversion.

Moderator: Forum Guards

New map.

Postby Snakey » Thu May 19, 11 9:54 pm

Hello again folks, it's been a while.

I've returned for a bit to present a new map I've made. I started it a year ago and I've been playing with it in my spare time. Sorry it took so long, I'm a lazy, unreliable worker and I have spent the early months of this year in a coma. Anyway, disregarding the filesize and the time it took to make, it's not a very big map at all and is more suited towards close combat.

It's probably better suited for 0 augs as I didn't make it with augs in mind, though it does cater to augged gameplay

Despite the name, this is a fairly generic base map, with few silly features.

Hope you enjoy it, I put a lot of effort in.

(MIRROR: http://download.deusexnetwork.com/DX1/m ... rtress.zip )
Attachments
DXMP_SillyFortress.zip
(2.51 MiB) Downloaded 468 times
<center>

Snakey
Alpha

Postby James » Thu May 19, 11 10:24 pm

Few things about the map:

Utterly disappointed when I spawned, thought you ripped off Smuggles, thankfully this wasn't entirely and it was just for these 2 spawn points. Still you could have done something here. If there's other pieces from other maps maaan shame on you.
The map is huge and won't be taken seriously, how do you expect to confront the enemy in close counters when it takes awhile to reach them.
While the amount of passages to get to areas are great there's simply too much for a map this big as stated previously but I enjoyed
Texture alignments are bad
lol faux-skybox
The fog room is bad, remove fog
Loved the lil car (with communist hammer and sickle flag badly aligned), why cant you make it crush players?
Colours work well together
Elevators are nice but defy real logic, but better than elevators in most maps
There's a brick wall texture for a ceiling at one point

Also why were you in a coma?, stop drugs.
James
Alpha

Postby Snakey » Thu May 19, 11 10:32 pm

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the initial area was based on Smuggles. The car is set to crushwhenenroach so it should by all rights crush the player. Most of those other problems would require a big overhaul to fix. And yeah, I know the elevators are a bit shit.
<center>

Snakey
Alpha

Postby Mastakilla » Thu May 19, 11 10:40 pm

It's a nice map. It's a bit dissapointing that some areas have quite nice brushes to add some details but then some other areas seem rushed.

Also I think that even with 16 people you'd have a hard time trying to find eachother, but I don't really care about that. I only mess around on maps anyway, and this seems quite nice for exactly that.

Edit: I have no problem with the fog. Quite refreshing to see it used for once, even if it might not make that much sense
Last edited by Mastakilla on Thu May 19, 11 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero

Postby China » Fri May 20, 11 1:12 pm

There's lots of interesting ideas in this map and alot of complex geometry which raised my eyebrows. Just when you think you've seen the whole map a new room or area appears so this map is definitely big!

It was nice to see the moon as a 3d object in the sky, and the L shaped cabinets were a nice touch. The map is extremely busy and the odd arrangements make it quite quirky I think. And there's some great looking movers too. I think this map would work in the Altfire Server, do you mind if I arrange to get it hosted in the [FGS]Altfire server?

Also the greasel picture was great. Thanks for sharing your work, I know you have put an incredible amount of time and effort into it.
Last edited by China on Fri May 20, 11 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.chinnysdeusexblog.wordpress.com
China
Wannabe

Postby Marder » Fri May 20, 11 2:04 pm

There are a lot of nice touches in this map, the cleanerbot manual is excellent.
The design is generally nice, with nice detail and textures and I like the fact that each area is textured differently and has a different feel, like Smuggler or Prodigy. To be critical it's hard because I think the map would be popular, if hosted on CTF or Beginners servers, it reminds me of Tunnel Network.

Probably would agree with other comments that parts seem rushed or not as worked as others, some texturing is first rate, then other texturing appears to be "wrong" or not quite positioned correctly. My least favourite part of the map is the room full of crates with area 51 sector wall textures, but it's not a map that would drive me insane, I could happily play it in a rotation on a busy server. And I love all the little touches, reminds me of Ketzers maps.

SAUSAGES!!!
Last edited by Marder on Fri May 20, 11 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marder
Poster

Postby Alex » Fri May 20, 11 2:56 pm

Added your map to DXN ( http://download.deusexnetwork.com/DX1/m ... rtress.zip ). If you'd like a different file description, please let me know.
Alex
Alpha

Postby ~DJ~ » Fri May 20, 11 5:54 pm

Nice map Snakey! :oops:

This reminds me, how was your other mod going? The whole gametype thing and all?
~DJ~
Forum Super Hero

Postby Snakey » Fri May 20, 11 7:31 pm

Thanks for the postive comments guys, I'm flattered. I think I know which area you're referring to as rushed too, to be honest I couldn't think of anything else to do with it.

China wrote:I think this map would work in the Altfire Server, do you mind if I arrange to get it hosted in the [FGS]Altfire server?

Also the greasel picture was great. Thanks for sharing your work, I know you have put an incredible amount of time and effort into it.

Yeah I'd be very appreciative if you could host it on the FGS Server, thank you!

~DJ~ wrote:Nice map Snakey! :oops:

This reminds me, how was your other mod going? The whole gametype thing and all?

Sorry to say I gave up on that some time ago :(
<center>

Snakey
Alpha

Postby ~DJ~ » Sat May 21, 11 12:13 am

Snakey wrote:Sorry to say I gave up on that some time ago Sad

Why though? :x

..oh well. :cry:
~DJ~
Forum Super Hero

Postby Snakey » Sat May 21, 11 1:45 am

~DJ~ wrote:

I have very little motivation, I could send you the files and you could carry on if you like
<center>

Snakey
Alpha

Postby China » Sat May 21, 11 11:51 pm

Snakey wrote:
China wrote:I think this map would work in the Altfire Server, do you mind if I arrange to get it hosted in the [FGS]Altfire server?

Yeah I'd be very appreciative if you could host it on the FGS Server, thank you!

Ok it's now hosted on the ~[FGS]Wunderland~ ALTFIRE V-Server 2.
www.chinnysdeusexblog.wordpress.com
China
Wannabe

Postby Snakey » Sun May 22, 11 3:14 pm

China wrote:
Snakey wrote:

Ok it's now hosted on the ~[FGS]Wunderland~ ALTFIRE V-Server 2.

Cool, thank you very much, I'll be sure to give it a go.
<center>

Snakey
Alpha

Postby ~DJ~ » Sun May 22, 11 6:35 pm

Snakey wrote:
~DJ~ wrote:

I have very little motivation, I could send you the files and you could carry on if you like

Oh, dint read this.

Well sure, I don't mind, but.. it's not that I would like to carry on, I was just happy to see more people working on/interested on making a new gametype..
~DJ~
Forum Super Hero

Return to Modifications