Unreal to Deus Ex Conversion Project *NEW Updates April 2012*

Talk about any Deus Ex game modification here, e.g. maps, package or a total conversion.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Postby Lurker » Sat Apr 07, 12 4:18 am

Alright, people. I thought I give you a little update on my Dasa Cellars conversion project today. So you know that I still work on it actually:

Dasa Cellars Barrel (U1 Model Import to DX1)

Demonstration Video showing imported Barrel model from old Unreal and summoned manually inside converted Unreal map "Dasa Cellars". Then tested by pushing the barrel around, breaking it with a crowbar or throwing it into water and watching it float on the surface.

Enjoy! :)

Watch video at my ModDB profile:
http://www.moddb.com/members/lurker2011 ... ort-to-dx1

So here we go. I managed to export my first Unreal 1 model and import it successfully into Deus Ex 1! Phew. 8)

I must admit that the conversion process was a bit cumbersome though. Not to mention that I figured out the Unreal .3d models and Deus Ex .3d models are not compatible with each other. WTF! Thus I had to download some tool first, patch the .3d model file with it and then re-compile everything again. Now it worked when the barrel model was summoned in Deus Ex, but it was completely off-scale and the collisions were messed up. So I had to do some UnrealScript editing to get all the proper CollisionRadius, CollisionHeight, Meshmap scale and other values right. That was the hairy part, but in the end it payed off.

The nice thing about the barrel is, I could derive it from Deus Ex's advanced container class. This means I can use it both ways now. Firstly as decoration for the Dasa Cellars map and secondly as a container for stuff to spawn once the barrel is broken by a crowbar, for example. You know, it works like the crates in original Deus Ex which include contents. It also worked that way in original Unreal, but the container class in Deus Ex is much better imo.

Ok. I hope you like the demo video of this latest update of my Dasa Cellars project.
Last edited by Lurker on Sat Apr 07, 12 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lurker
Wannabe

Postby RedDynasty » Sat Apr 07, 12 4:51 am

Nice!
My 1st unreal1 export model was the robot( it was a pain the ass :S)
But srsly its really nice :D
Your not a gamer until you played this.
RedDynasty
Wannabe

Postby Lurker » Sat Apr 07, 12 5:08 am

RedDynasty wrote:Nice!
My 1st unreal1 export model was the robot( it was a pain the ass :S)

Yeah, "pain in the ass" definately. I have said this line many times to myself recently while scripting and doing shit in the Unreal editor.

But srsly its really nice :D

My intention was to start with something easy to get a feel for it. The barrel was also a good candidate for a first-time model conversion, because it is used/placed many times in Unreal's original Dasa Cellars map. So I had to get this little beer barrel into Deus Ex, no matter what. :D

Speaking of beer barrels... Since I extended my Barrel class from Deus Ex Containers class now, as I previously mentioned, I can add DX contents to it. For instance, I will put some beer bottles inside. So next time when the player breaks one of these barrels with a crowbar it may spawn some beer to drink. YAY!

Unfortunately you can't add fluids to containers or model objects in Unreal engine. That would make it more realistic. I would love to see a beer barrel in an Unreal game which, when broken, spawns beer which flows down the level. But I guess even the latest Unreal engine can't do anything advanced like that.
Lurker
Wannabe

Previous

Return to Modifications