Terminus Machina

Talk about any Deus Ex game modification here, e.g. maps, package or a total conversion.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Terminus Machina

Postby clyzm » Sun Jan 20, 13 1:36 am

I had not heard of this mod until recently, some groundbreaking stuff in it. Watch the video and you'll see what I'm talking about:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/terminus-mach ... na-promo-2

Take on the role of an operative in the Hex Gen network, a decentralized movement of hacktivists resisting the economic pillaging conducted by the unholy alliances of Big Tech, Big Military, and Big Finance. Think "The Windup Girl" meets "Neuromancer". Features: -Facial, vocal biometric capture devices -"Nohface" electronic face projector for thwarting surveillance/drones which cover almost every inch of city -Wireless internet -Darknets - all web activity is fully surveilled, you need stealth not only in meatspace but in cyberspace -More types of hacking - cryptography, DDoS, spoofing -Hunger: experience real economic destitution as you slowly die of starvation and are forced to beg, steal, or even kill for a piece of bread. -DIY: Upgrade your hemp trenchcoat with solar trim, syphon electricity from the private power grid, take apart old phones and radios to hack together an EMP gun, set up a hydroponic garden in your squatted flat so you don't have to kill for every meal.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Dae » Sun Jan 20, 13 12:32 pm

Whoa, this is some really impressive programming :shock:

The map is very basic though.
Dae
Alpha

Postby James » Sun Jan 20, 13 1:16 pm

This looks a lot better in motion. Looks very decent.

I've known about this for awhile thanks to Dex. There's some annoyances with the user interface, size of stuff (treadmills in one screenshot sticks out for me) and the texture work. Otherwise a good take on a adventure game without sacrificing Deus Ex gameplay.

Dae wrote:The map is very basic though.

It's fine for the moment in all honesty, if anything it needs to adjust textures and scale back on size because wide roads and simple 8000x2000x2000 brushes for buildings looks ugly in the first Unreal Engine.
Last edited by James on Sun Jan 20, 13 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Lurker » Mon Jan 21, 13 3:18 pm

Dae wrote:Whoa, this is some really impressive programming :shock:

The map is very basic though.

That's the typical effect which I always observe with most user-made mods. Either well-programmed or good-looking. But rarely both at the same time.

It's like in real life, isn't it. There are either intelligent nerdy people who look ugly though. Or there are sexy-looking attractive people who are dumb though. You hardly find both qualities in one person. :twisted:

BUT it doesn't mean that it's not possible. There are few mods which provide gamers with both. Good looks and impressive programming in one pack! Such mods are hard to make and take a lot of production time, however.

As far as this mod is concerned, not only architecture is too basic, the textures are ugly aswell. I suppose the level designer is still using the old Deus Ex textures and old standard sizes for custom textures which look blurry and pixelated when being put on huge surfaces such as buildings.

The new texture standards of modern 3d games are 512x512 (small size), 1024x1024 (normal size) and 2048x2048 (big size). Special sizes are 256x512 for door textures and 1024x512 / 2048x512 for long wall and corridor textures. That are the texture sizes I use in my Deus Ex maps.

Nobody uses 256x256 or 128x128 textures anymore, except for trims or small level objects, such as columns, pipes and other. I remember DOOM and Duke Nukem 3D back in the days when 64x64 size textures were used for walls and 256x256 textures were considered "huge" and used for skies and stuff. Funny if you think about it these days. :lol:
Last edited by Lurker on Mon Jan 21, 13 3:44 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Lurker
Wannabe

Postby Psycho » Tue Jan 22, 13 9:04 am

I like the idea of the game, looks very interesting.
Psycho
Forum Hero

Postby SilverSpook » Wed Mar 20, 13 4:50 am

Hi guys, this is the creator of Terminus Machina. I'm glad to see people are interested in the mod. I am mostly a programmer / writer and I'm doing most all of the texturing, mapping, etc. so yes I'll admit the visuals are the weakest link. I'm always looking for anyone with a bit more experience in those areas. My main goal has been to add something to the DX experience in the same spirit -- assuming an intelligent player, many solutions to any challenge, content relevant to the state of the world that makes you think -- and hopefully I'll be able to garner some support in the graphical areas eventually.

Anyway, carry on!
Last edited by SilverSpook on Wed Mar 20, 13 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
SilverSpook

Postby clyzm » Wed Mar 20, 13 2:16 pm

SilverSpook wrote:Hi guys, this is the creator of Terminus Machina. I'm glad to see people are interested in the mod. I am mostly a programmer / writer and I'm doing most all of the texturing, mapping, etc. so yes I'll admit the visuals are the weakest link. I'm always looking for anyone with a bit more experience in those areas. My main goal has been to add something to the DX experience in the same spirit -- assuming an intelligent player, many solutions to any challenge, content relevant to the state of the world that makes you think -- and hopefully I'll be able to garner some support in the graphical areas eventually.

Anyway, carry on!

Keep up the great work dude, you've got some serious talent as a programmer, industry-standard definitely. Great storywriting too, takes the original cyberpunk atmosphere of Deus Ex and shifts it up to 11 without being *too* techy

I used to be a weapons designer/importer for Deus Ex so if you need any help with getting meshes into Unreal, scaling, animations, muzzle flashes etc. basically anything related to weapon and mesh importing just hit me up
Last edited by clyzm on Wed Mar 20, 13 2:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Clancy Stein » Wed Mar 20, 13 2:25 pm

Depth with a side of bacon.
Clancy Stein
Poster

Postby AlvinD » Wed Mar 20, 13 11:25 pm

He is defo one hell of a story writer! I've read some of his stuff its mental what stuff he comes out with and he describes it excellently.
AlvinD

Postby SilverSpook » Thu Mar 21, 13 12:50 am

Thanks guys! And I'll def let you know if I need help with getting some assets into the game, Clyzm. That does take a big chunk of time for me usually.
SilverSpook

Postby ProtoType » Fri May 17, 13 11:31 pm

its fun to have mods like this because it allows you to do even more with deusex before you know it you can do as much as the game elder scrolls XD
ProtoType

Postby SilverSpook » Sun Jun 09, 13 5:40 am

Terminus Machina Beta Release is currently awaiting authorization and should be up within 48 hours. Stand by!
SilverSpook

Postby Psychotic » Sun Jun 09, 13 6:00 am

Good God I want this. I WANT IT NAO.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby synthetic » Sun Jun 09, 13 6:51 am

Some really innovative features there.
[TSS][¥]{¥+EoD}{RF}{MoH}[G][NEM][UE][N]{U}[REN][BM][FGS][THC][:¤:]
synthetic
Forum Hero

Postby SilverSpook » Sun Jun 09, 13 9:32 pm

Terminus Machina has been RELEASED!

Join the Hacktivist Insurrection Against Banker Occupation now!
SilverSpook

Postby Aidan » Mon Jun 10, 13 3:44 am

This looks amazing. SERIOUSLY. I WANT TO GIVE YOU A BIG HUG.

CURRENTLY DOWNLOADING.
Last edited by Aidan on Mon Jun 10, 13 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby SilverSpook » Mon Jun 10, 13 7:45 am

Thanks! Hopefully it is truly hugworthy.
SilverSpook

Return to Modifications