Deus Ex: Man in Black

Talk about any Deus Ex game modification here, e.g. maps, package or a total conversion.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Deus Ex: Man in Black

Postby WildcatPhoenix » Mon Apr 24, 06 11:47 pm

Hello, everyone. My name is Wildcat. I'm a regular poster over at the PDX Forums and would like to announce a new mod for Deus Ex. It's called "Man in Black" and follows the story of MJ12's first nano-augmented MIB.

Our homepage was destroyed last week by hackers, but we're working on moving over to a new site on edgenetwork.

You can check out our profile page on the Mods Database at:

http://mods.moddb.com/6841/Deus-Ex-Man-in-Black/

I've been hard at work drawing these 2D diagrams of our maps and will gladly send them to any mappers who are interested (if you don't mind a few spoilers, of course). If you're interested, drop me a line at Justin_Permenter@baylor.edu.

-Wildcat
WildcatPhoenix

Postby Snakey » Tue Apr 25, 06 12:03 am

I love the idea, hope it all goes smoothly, G' luck!
<center>

Snakey
Alpha

Postby James » Tue Apr 25, 06 12:36 am

Will the Series Q MIB still have grey 'skin' like the almost human but still robotically augmented series, or will it have 'natural' skin?

What ending of the first installment of DX is this game based on?

Is Agent Q his real name, just an reflection of his series or just customiseable for what you want it to be?, because the MIB and WIB in the game had names like "Agent Sherman" as witnessed in dataqubes etc?
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby WildcatPhoenix » Tue Apr 25, 06 2:45 am

Haven't made a decision on the 'albino' skin yet. We might try to do a skin selector (like players could do with JC). Agent Q is like the name "JC Denton," it's simply a code name. There will be instances where the custom player name appears in the storyline.

-Wildcat
WildcatPhoenix

Re: Deus Ex: Man in Black

Postby Alex » Tue Apr 25, 06 1:55 pm

Sounds good :) It is interesting, since in the DX game, MiB is an enemy, now there's a project that isn't quite the 'good side'

WildcatPhoenix wrote:Our homepage was destroyed last week by hackers, but we're working on moving over to a new site on edgenetwork.

Wasn't me!
Alex
Alpha

Postby Snakey » Tue Apr 25, 06 3:08 pm

[A]:Kilgannon wrote:What ending of the first installment of DX is this game based on?

I'd recommend a combination of all 3 endings like in DX2, but that would mean no electricity or stuff, unless they could show how the power was restored in the mod?
<center>

Snakey
Alpha

Postby Bob » Tue Apr 25, 06 4:55 pm

Fools, the first nano-augmented agent of MJ-12 would surely come prior to the events of JC Denton?

Nice concept, I wish you all the luck. I may pick up some of those 2d sketches and even possibly offer my help after my exam period.
Bob
Forum God

Postby WildcatPhoenix » Tue Apr 25, 06 10:47 pm

Hehehe, okay, a few things to address:

1. Endings- This was a tough decision. I hated the idea of choosing a single ending (because let's face it, whichever ending you choose is going to piss off 2/3rds of the DX community). Unfortunately, I didn't buy the way the endings were blended in DX2. As previously posted, the Dark Age ending destroys all technology and does away with gameplay elements such as e-mails, info terminals, etc. The Helios ending makes JC Denton an all-powerful force who is pretty much unstoppable. The Illuminati ending is the only one which leaves MJ12 with a legitimate enemy to fight, so that's the ending that we're choosing. I can't get into too many details without making major spoilers.

2. The nano-augmented MIB- Again, I don't want to get into spoilers, but the storyline addresses the issue of the Q Project and its relativity to the augmented Series N. Let's just say certain factions in MJ12 didn't agree on who should have access to various technologies.

3. @Bob- I understand about the exams. I'm in my last semester of college (hopefully graduating in May). Drop me a line after things settle down and we can talk mapping or anything else.

-Wildcat
WildcatPhoenix

Postby Dae » Sat Apr 29, 06 6:52 am

A mod that starts from 3D modelling fails in most cases.
Dae
Alpha

Postby WildcatPhoenix » Sat Apr 29, 06 6:59 am

Привет, Дэйдалус! Вы давно жили в Санкт-Петербурге? Я никогда не жил в России, а я поехал туда в прошлом году (4 дня в Москве и 4 дня в Воронеже). Конечно, я еще учусь русский язык.

That being said, we are doing more than 3D modelling (I wasn't even originally planning on new weapons).

Our mapper is currently working on building some maps, and I'm plotting out each level in 2D birds-eye view as well as writing convos, AI barks, datacube/e-mails, item locations, etc. in a very large text document.

We're also working on coding and skinning.

-Wildcat
WildcatPhoenix

Postby Mr. Tastix » Sat Apr 29, 06 7:01 am

Hmm... Sounds quite interesting.
Blood is thicker than water and sweeter than candy.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby WildcatPhoenix » Sun May 07, 06 7:33 pm

Okay, well, the quest for mappers continues. If anyone would like to take a look at the 2D schematics I've been working on, I'll e-mail a sample to you (they basically plot out the design of the level as well as item/character/weapon placement from a top-down view).

-Wildcat
Last edited by WildcatPhoenix on Sun May 07, 06 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WildcatPhoenix

Postby Spiderbot01 » Sun May 07, 06 8:04 pm

Have you posted em on the DXMS forums yet?
<center>------</center><center>
Image</center>
<center>Image</center><
Spiderbot01
Alpha

Postby WildcatPhoenix » Sun May 07, 06 8:36 pm

Here's a sample of the 2D schematics:

http://mods.moddb.com/gallery/image/42339/

-Wildcat
WildcatPhoenix

Postby Wasted » Sun May 07, 06 8:47 pm

Cleaner bot?
FFS
Wasted
Forum Hero

Postby WildcatPhoenix » Sun May 07, 06 8:51 pm

You know, the little things that zip around on the floor and turn hostile when you step on them.

-Wildcat
WildcatPhoenix

Postby Spiderbot01 » Sun May 07, 06 8:59 pm

Ill get the boys at DXMS to get their asses in gear, hope to have something for ya ;)
Image</center>
<center>Image</center><
Spiderbot01
Alpha

Postby Wasted » Sun May 07, 06 9:00 pm

WildcatPhoenix wrote:You know, the little things that zip around on the floor and turn hostile when you step on them.

-Wildcat

Oh.. I thought that was for my entertainment XD
FFS
Wasted
Forum Hero

Postby WildcatPhoenix » Sun May 07, 06 9:22 pm

@Bob- Well, they certainly were fun to kick around!

@Spider- That would be excellent. I've got several of these 2D drawings made already, so I could send you guys some more if you're interested.

-Wildcat
WildcatPhoenix

Postby Allan » Sun May 07, 06 9:45 pm

Hmm, What format do you have the meshes in? I'll animate/put them into DX if you want :)
Allan
Alpha

Postby Wasted » Sun May 07, 06 9:46 pm

WildcatPhoenix wrote:@Bob- Well, they certainly were fun to kick around!

@Spider- That would be excellent. I've got several of these 2D drawings made already, so I could send you guys some more if you're interested.

-Wildcat

Either Say @Bob DOle or @ Dole. Or @ Paxx 8)

The Bob thats well known on these forums, is not me.

And yes, That Is all I do on Nobodys server. *starts kicking cleaner bot*
FFS
Wasted
Forum Hero

Postby WildcatPhoenix » Sun May 07, 06 10:35 pm

Allan wrote:Hmm, What format do you have the meshes in? I'll animate/put them into DX if you want :)

I'll ask our 3D modeller and get back to you on that.

-Wildcat

EDIT- The meshes are modelled in ms3d.
WildcatPhoenix

Postby Bob » Fri May 12, 06 4:05 pm

Thoses 2d images are extremly detailed. The stuff Jonas gave me for TNM was much less detailed. Good news I suppose, one exam down, four to go.
Bob
Forum God

Postby WildcatPhoenix » Sun May 14, 06 12:57 am

@Bob- Good luck with your exams, man! By some miracle, I managed to pull a 3.5 this semester (graduated this morning, woot!), bringing my cumulative GPA to a whopping 3.03! 8)

By the way, are you still interested in doing some mapping after exam season? If so, drop me a line and I'll shoot some sketches your way.

-Wildcat
WildcatPhoenix

Postby Bob » Sun May 14, 06 12:49 pm

Sure. I don't understand the American grading system being Scottish and all, but that sounds pretty damn good. Hope your graduation goes well.
Bob
Forum God

Postby Spiderbot01 » Sun May 14, 06 1:55 pm

Wildcat I finally got DXMS off their asses and should have something for you soon(ish)
Image</center>
<center>Image</center><
Spiderbot01
Alpha

Postby WildcatPhoenix » Sun May 14, 06 5:06 pm

Thanks, Spider! That's great news. Is there any more info/files/etc that you guys need?

Oh, btw, if any of you would like to talk over IM, my MSN name is Duality1984.

-Wildcat
WildcatPhoenix

Postby Bob » Tue May 30, 06 12:26 am

WildCat, I began shape-sorting things tonight. Check it out and tell me what you think.

I can send it to you if you add me to msn, bobrsturbo@hotmail.com

Obviously I have still to texture and adaquetly light it, something which I frankly cannot be bothered doing at this hour. That's just the lobby area as well.
Bob
Forum God

Postby Gishank » Tue May 30, 06 8:17 am

Looks good : P WildCat, why have you blocked me from msn ? + Why haven't you given me anything to do? It's as if you forgot about me in the project :(
Gishank
Forum Super Hero

Postby Snakey » Tue May 30, 06 11:34 am

Lookin' very sexy Bob.
<center>

Snakey
Alpha

Next

Return to Modifications