Nephthys mod discussion

Talk about any Deus Ex game modification here, e.g. maps, package or a total conversion.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Postby Zora » Thu Aug 31, 06 7:44 pm

Hi all,

~[A]Daedalus~ wrote:And yes. This mod is a way to force people install QValidate. You know what this means? That none of existing aimbots and hacks will work in Deus Ex.
No, it's definitely not. You can't force any player to download anything more than it usually would download from your server. Esp. the client side Nephthys won't download anything else than Deus Ex packages, namely no .dll files or .exe files or anything like that.

Nephthys is a security mod for unreal 1 engine based games and not a trojanic backdoor to inject arbitrary stuff to other computers.

All client side downloaded stuff is compared by checksums to be the same byte code currently running on the server. If the checksum fails the package is removed immediately.

Clients don't need to have Nephthys to join your server. A server running Nephthys can't forcely upload anything to any client.

Nephthys doesn't check for any cheats and it isn't intended to do so. But it helps other server mods of getting rid of the cheaters ... forever :D
For that purpose Nephthys has a uscript function/event interface which is useable as native base for additional uscript mods.

All that and more is explained in detail in the Nephthys Documentation which comes with Nephthys.

Have fun and keep on gaming! :)

Zora
Zora
Nephthys developer

Postby Zora » Fri Sep 01, 06 12:03 am

Here's a new Nephthys release candidate. The Deus Ex support is now completed.

Note that you need to use Nephthys' NptServerQuery instead of other (original or custom) UdpServerQuery to get full protection, esp. against the \secure\ attack which I read in some other topic (http://www.dxalpha.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8045&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=).

The installer does all automatically for you. However, if you run a custom server query before, please read the manual installation instructions in the Nephthys Documentation how to setup NptServerQuery.

Have fun and don't let you put down by some sad guys ...

Feedbacks are welcome :)

Zora
Attachments
Nephthys_v1.3rc08_inst.zip
Nepthys V1.3 release candidate 8
md5: 56eea11193c05cf14bfffd3796f523e7
sha256: 50a2cfa9d772fd529df2ead2c3947c2c6d60e5e9417fcf234d6e0e0c02cdb0bc
(1.18 MiB) Downloaded 524 times
Zora
Nephthys developer

Postby Zantinzuken » Fri Sep 01, 06 12:06 am

Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it :wub:
Zantinzuken
NINNY BOYYYYY

Postby Bob » Fri Sep 01, 06 12:27 am

You've done a great deal for such a small community such as this.

Cheers guys.
Bob
Forum God

Postby ynnaD » Fri Sep 01, 06 8:04 am

Thank you very much for the Mod it will serve the community a great help
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby Dae » Fri Sep 01, 06 10:27 am

Zora wrote:Hi all,

~[A]Daedalus~ wrote:And yes. This mod is a way to force people install QValidate. You know what this means? That none of existing aimbots and hacks will work in Deus Ex.
No, it's definitely not. You can't force any player to download anything more than it usually would download from your server. Esp. the client side Nephthys won't download anything else than Deus Ex packages, namely no .dll files or .exe files or anything like that.

Nephthys is a security mod for unreal 1 engine based games and not a trojanic backdoor to inject arbitrary stuff to other computers.

All client side downloaded stuff is compared by checksums to be the same byte code currently running on the server. If the checksum fails the package is removed immediately.

Clients don't need to have Nephthys to join your server. A server running Nephthys can't forcely upload anything to any client.

Nephthys doesn't check for any cheats and it isn't intended to do so. But it helps other server mods of getting rid of the cheaters ... forever :D
For that purpose Nephthys has a uscript function/event interface which is useable as native base for additional uscript mods.

All that and more is explained in detail in the Nephthys Documentation which comes with Nephthys.

Have fun and keep on gaming! :)

Zora

We've already talked about that. You still didn't respond what you think of reliable web servers for hosting the libraries.

Oh and again... good work with the new release. Thanks man, you're great! =D>
Dae
Alpha

Postby Ste » Sat Sep 02, 06 10:03 am

Dont like the mod at all, My server takes about 1 minute to change maps. Also peoples IP addresses show up in the "say" bar. Thats so wrong its unreal.

Took the mod off, sorry but i think these 2 things need to be addressed.

Server has 10,000RPM hdds in riad 0 config so theres no reason for it to be slow.
Truth is, ya gonna die.
Ste
Poster

Postby Zora » Sat Sep 02, 06 10:19 am

The IP addresses of the players are only shown to admins. Normal players won't see them. Also, you can turn off that option completely (Help\Nephthys Documentation.html).

You may send me the server side log where the map change is listed to investigate the lag you're talking about (remove all passwords and other private information before you pm the log). Also helpful is Nephthys.ini and NephthysWebDownload.ini.

Nephthys runs not only on most Unreal1 coop servers but on many major Unreal1 DM servers, and we don't know of any complaints. That doesn't automatically say it's bugfree and flawless but it might be a "special" config in your case. :P

Any feedback is appreciated, but please try to make it constructive by providing more information. :)

Zora
Zora
Nephthys developer

Postby MainMan » Sat Sep 02, 06 10:25 am

Is there an option to disallow all downloads from your server? (Instead of manually setting the flag on each file)
<center>ty m7
</center>
MainMan
<i>Tru' Playa' Fer Defs</i>

Postby Imperial » Sat Sep 02, 06 10:40 am

I have noticed dxms takes ages to load. In most cases you sometimes have to disconnect, go back into the masterserver and reconnect again.
I sell donuts, if you want my donuts, give me a call.

DONUTS
Imperial
Forum Hero

Postby Dae » Sat Sep 02, 06 10:48 am

Cleaned the topic, updated the first message with the link to latest version of the mod.
Dae
Alpha

Postby Zora » Sat Sep 02, 06 10:56 am

~MainMan~ wrote:Is there an option to disallow all downloads from your server? (Instead of manually setting the flag on each file)
Yes, there is.
Also, you can throttle the bandwidth which is used for server uploads so players downloading directly from the server won't cause lag (more details in Help\Nephthys Documentation.html; Advanced Options -> Nephthys -> Nephthys Server -> Upload: bAllowUploads, bLimitUploadBandwidth, UploadThrottle).
Zora
Nephthys developer

Postby Dae » Sat Sep 02, 06 11:09 am

By the way I noticed too that SG server now takes ∞ to load sometimes =/
Dae
Alpha

Postby Zora » Sun Sep 03, 06 10:56 am

Is this still relevant?
Anyone else noticed similar?
Anyone has specific logs?

~[A]Daedalus~ wrote:By the way I noticed too that SG server now takes ∞ to load sometimes =/
What's ∞? More than, let's say, 100 hours? :P

Sorry, this is nice to read but worthless to dig into something and fix it. :wink:
Any useful information is welcome! :)

Zora
Zora
Nephthys developer

Postby Imperial » Sun Sep 03, 06 11:00 am

Zora wrote:Is this still relevant?
Anyone else noticed similar?
Anyone has specific logs?

Sorry, this is nice to read but worthless to dig into something and fix it. :wink:
Any useful information is welcome! :)

Zora

I do beleive it is no longer relevant. When the map changes on dxms and sg, it changes in about 3 seconds. Before this it could take up to 10-15 seconds and dxms often resulted in disconnecting the server and then rejoining. All right now though, I do believe.
I sell donuts, if you want my donuts, give me a call.

DONUTS
Imperial
Forum Hero

Postby Kaiden » Sun Sep 03, 06 12:03 pm

:?

I had the mod installed, and it seemed to function correctly, except it wouldn't display info when you we're logged in as an admin. Now it simply doesn't work at all and I am trying to fix it..

It displays the mod in the Advanced options when running a server, but when you try to look at the info ( Like in WebDownload section) it just displays load error in the advanced options..

It was when I tried to install the latest version of the mod it just completly crashed my Dx untill I replaced the IpDrv.dll with the older version, but now it just doesn't work at all..Any advice?

Thanks.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby Zora » Sun Sep 03, 06 12:06 pm

Please send/pm me the server log file of the crash (or a new crash). Remove all passwords and other private info first.

Zora
Zora
Nephthys developer

Postby Dae » Sun Sep 03, 06 2:39 pm

I noticed that "servertravel" console command restarts the server 2 times. It happens like this: i type servertravel, then it loads the game for me (my computer is quite fast, so map loads very quickly and I'm always the first person who joins the game), then after spawning on the map, I see that it is about to switch the map once again.
Dae
Alpha

Postby Zora » Sun Sep 03, 06 2:41 pm

Do you have a server log file of these happenings?
Zora
Nephthys developer

Postby Zora » Sun Sep 03, 06 3:22 pm

§ KÃÎÐEN §'s problem is solved. :)

For all: please don't extract the Nephthys lite archive - it's built for Unreal 225f (see included readme). Only use the installer. There's nothing more to do.

Zora
Zora
Nephthys developer

Postby Dae » Sun Sep 03, 06 7:29 pm

I haven't noticed any problems with Nephthys while running my Inspired Russian Gathering match today. I used it for a first time on such event and the latest version.
Dae
Alpha

Postby Alistair » Sun Sep 03, 06 10:15 pm

Yes its fine with my server, however I didnt install that extra package for web support as Im running Linux. How exactly would you manually install it? Or does it grab it from the internet and install it? Because if it does that is fine as wine would be running.
Alistair
Forum Hero

Postby Zora » Sun Sep 03, 06 10:28 pm

There is no extra package for web support. It's already included in what you installed. You only have it to setup to make it working (see Help\Nephthys Documentation.html for details). And it works with Linux/Wine as well.

The "extra package", called "Nephthys_v1.3rc08_lite.zip" is a special version for certain Unreal 225f configurations, which lacks automatic web support setup. You must not install that to your Deus Ex, else it won't startup any more (you'll get the same problem as § KÃÎÐEN §).

In the next version I will point out that more clearly. Thanks to all who gave me that feedback! :)

Zora
Zora
Nephthys developer

Postby Zora » Wed Sep 06, 06 3:18 pm

Hi all,

just a minor change, but a new version number.
Also, the installer should be more newbie-safe (since most Deus Ex users aren't that used to different engine versions).

There's nothing outstanding any more, so after some days of running in the wild without any feedback this version will become the official Nephthys V1.3.

Please send me any feedback. :)

Zora
Attachments
Nephthys_v1.3rc09_inst.zip
Nephthys V1.3 release candidate 9
md5: 40b1046e36ded0def4780925caf4f0ac
sha256: 97acede0619d194c177f5ead89903c7610ef81d9889facc98c1e6ea6b2394152
(1.18 MiB) Downloaded 536 times
Zora
Nephthys developer

Postby Dae » Thu Sep 07, 06 5:04 pm

Updated the first message.
Dae
Alpha

Postby Dae » Thu Sep 07, 06 5:47 pm

Can you please give any instructions on how to install the latest Nephthys manually to those who connect to a remote machine?
Dae
Alpha

Postby Zora » Thu Sep 07, 06 7:32 pm

There's "manual installation instructions" in "Help\Nephthys Documentation.html".

Basically: Install the newest Nephthys version to your local machine and then copy certain files to the remote machine (via ftp, http upload, whatever).

Zora
Zora
Nephthys developer

Postby Alistair » Fri Sep 08, 06 5:44 pm

Gheighed. Dae deleted the download with that manual that I need to manually edit my DeusEx.ini,

ps dae, on Linux i use remote access and edit my configs.
Alistair
Forum Hero

Postby Zora » Fri Sep 29, 06 8:57 pm

Hi all,

I just wondered if anyone tried out web download / web support with Nephthys yet :?:
Or isn't that an issue in the Deus Ex world?

If the server admin setups a web location for a map (e.g. http://some.domain.com/somepack.zip) the Nephthys clients can download that archive and extract the needed map/mod/whatever automatically. Since web download is way faster than downloading directly from the Deus Ex server the clients can join way faster to new maps/mods and don't cause any network lag for the other players.

Zora
Zora
Nephthys developer

Postby Kaiden » Fri Sep 29, 06 10:15 pm

You have to have Nephthys_v1.3rc09_lite Right? And when instaling the
Nephthys_v1.3rc09_inst it says you require 7-ZIP. So I download it and try to run it and I get..

So I kind of gave up on it.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications