The Storyline/The Inspiration/The Mentality/The Human Psyche

Discussion about the sequel by Ion Storm.

Moderator: Forum Guards

The Storyline/The Inspiration/The Mentality/The Human Psyche

Postby AlexDenton » Sun Dec 26, 04 1:11 am

t0mgz0rz

i just had to make this topic to say:
for those of you who have played DXIW, how AMAZING is the storyline in the end?

for the first hour, hour and a half, the storyline is sorta basic and boring, but all of a sudden there is a full on BLAST of nostalgia and memories related to the original DX plot, which we all agree, was a masterpiece

therefore, there is no reason to insult the IW plot

for those of you who have not played it, this is a SPOILER!!!!
lmao

well, it starts when you meet Tracer Tong in the nine worlds tavern in Trier, and he tells you that JC was the worlds only ever fully just and able leader
then, the biggest shock for me, was when i found out that Her Holiness was Nicolette du Clare, and that the Order and WTO were both offspring of the Illuminati
it was annoying for me that you found out that Chad Dumier was leader of the WTO enclaves so early on, and it pissed me off to find that Chad was preaching against JCDenton, when JC had saved his ass and the rest of the Silhouette in the paris Catacombes

anyway, yeh, another thing you get told is that High Agur Lin-Mey Chen is in fact the daughter of Maggie Chow and Max Chen. Maggie Chow was an ex-filmstar who became a VersaLife official and enemy of Tracer Tong, and Max Chen was the leader of the Red Arrow triads in Hong Kong.

well as i was saying, Nicolette, what a shock.
it kinda got ruined tho, for me, cos i was talking to Moshy a while back, when he got it for the XBox, and he said, "OMG her holiness! she is in the first DX!"
and i said, "who is she? maggie chow? nicolette duclare?"
and he said "erm....no?"

lmao
so i had my hunches
well, i loved it when Nicolette was brought back into it, because it re-introduced the role of the Illuminati, an aspect of the Deus Ex plot which i thoroughly loved
Nicolette and Chad want to carry on Beth DuClare and Morgan Everettes work, but achieve what the likes of Lucius DeBeers failed to do.
Only this time they are using different methods.

Everettes mentality was to rule the world in secret, like the Illuminati had done years before. However, Chad and Nicolette plan to do things differently. The Illuminati aim to rule the world through both financial prosperity, and spiritual guidance, so Chad and Nicolette have smartly integrated both of these aspects into two seperate corporations:

WTO (World Trade Organisation) - led by Chad Dumier, is a rich and influential international corporation that is gradually gaining wealth and prosperity through both helping stabilise society and attracting public support

The Order - the somewhat contemporary, but at the same time traditional Religious apporach to life. this seems far fetched for the mid 21st century social life, with biomodifications at the top, and plagues at the bottom of society.
led by a faceless woman known only as Her Holiness, the Order captures the spirits of its followers, and spreads words of spiritual freedom to help protect one's self from the maelstorm of violence and industrial prosperity around them, brought about by the WTO, and other industries like SSC, and Panzerwerks (in Trier).

well, naturally this makes the Order and the WTO sworn enemies.
and they are... or so they seem to be.
however, this proves to be a diversion from the truth (something which the Illuminati are experts at doing)
the WTO and the Order, despite the fighting, intend to hold a sumit in Trier in order to make a public announcement that both corporations are no longer fighting, but allies.

it is merely a public affair.

however, it goes wrong when the Templars, a fanatical Anti-Biomod cult, capture her Holiness (Nicolette duClare) and hold her in custody in the Black Gate of Trier

now this is when the physical nostalgia kicks in - the Black Gate is designed to remind Ex DX players of le Cathedrale de Payens, in Paris.
however, notice Warren Spector's genius here (by that i mean whoever actualy wrote the plot)

if you remmber correctly, the Cathedrale de Payens was occupied with MJ-12, and they were oppressing the Templars

this time around, it is the Templar Paladins who are oppressing the ApolstCorp Scientists, who are the sons of VersaLife and MJ-12

in effect, the tides have turned!
for better/worse?
well, worse for AlexD, since he is "Up to my eyeballs in biomods!"

tbh, i think that subtle turn is abseloutly great, and ingenious storywriting

anyway, what i am building up to is, *you guessed it*, JC's Sanctuary in the Shackleton Ice Shelf in Antartica
*btw, this is impossible cos the shackleton ice shelf melts for 6months of the year, and that is why the explorer Shackleton never reached the south poll, lol, but or the story's sake... leave it at that*

anyway, when in JC's sanctuary, you experience the most AMAZING peices of cinematography and sound ever
the eerie sounds of crying greasles and karkians, and of course, how would we miss the cries of Greys - JC's sworn followers
in the distance

surrounded by the colours of the Helios AI, you walk through the complex base, at the same time Visiting an array of JC Denton's memories - including:
Jock's Hong Kong apartment,
JC's UNATCO office,
Juan Lebedev's Boeing,
and of course,
Area51 Level4, the place where JC himself was created *you actually go into the room with the 4 creating tubes*

and that is where you neturalise your old friend Billie Adams, who has been working against you and the Illuminati with the Templars

the thing that makes this for me is not only seeing these memorable locations recreated in the excellent graphcis and texture in DXIW, but actually hearing recreations of the original Music, including Opponent Withing - the UNATCO return music in DX, and the LaGuardia airbase music in DX

great stuff

another Excellent touch was upon reading some of the books in both JC's apartment and Juan's Boeing, i found 2 different Chapters of the novel by Andrew Hammond's novel, Jacob's Shadow:
See here for my short analysis: http://www.freewebs.com/momclansite/Deu ... shadow.htm

i will long remember the philosophical discussion that AlexDenton has with his clone source, JCDenton

it mirrors the conversation JC had, two decades before, with an AI construct called Morhpeus, which was in the Basement of Morgan Everette's manse
it is about the justification and morality of there being a single AI construct watching over and to an extent controlling the world, like the Echelon Intellect, aka Daedalus and Icarus (and then of coruse, Helios)

there is the issue of the freedom of human kind, meaning that watching over other humans is an infringement of their rights, etc

however, the argument that both Morpheus and now JC put forward, is the idea of a god

having a single intellect like Helios would, to and extent, fullfill mankinds longing for a God:
"if there were no God, it would me necessary for man to invent him"
in a sense, humans are physically construction a God, int he form of both human and AI

JC and Helios

with both the ability to Feel, understand and create like a human, but also the ability to watch, understand actions, and know like an AI, this All Seeing God like being will be able to fully understand the thoughts and needs of any other human being in a single glance, and can equalise society by helping those who are unfortunate, and making everyone equal

much like the God we believe in

JCs method of achieving equality is to breed a new race
a new kind of being
the Augmented body....like his own

originally developed as a tool of war, the Augmented body was one of VersaLife's most amasing achievements, as it made us one step closer to the Ninth Man - the perfect being

JC, instead of abolishing BioMods, like the Templars want, in order to preserve the purity of human DNA, wants to exploit the advantages of augmentations and grant humans equality on both a physical and intellectual basis
from then on, he can make sure that all humans are equal and perfect, and abolish war and hate, and have everyone in the world following his path of intellectual understanding and love for one another

JC wants utopia

*now, can you say that DX:IW was a let-down?
hell no
Invisible war is a masterpiece, like DeusEx

it is a sheer Masterpiece
Last edited by AlexDenton on Sun Dec 26, 04 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey! Hey, Guys! Check My Girlfriend's Rack!
AlexDenton
Forum Legend

Postby Jeoh » Sun Dec 26, 04 9:42 am

Except that they consolinised it.
:)
Jeoh
Forum Legend

Postby AlexDenton » Sun Dec 26, 04 5:55 pm

DX was available for PS

btw, i realise that that post is enormous (almost 1500 words)

will embolden the most important bits
AlexDenton
Forum Legend

Postby Jeoh » Wed Jan 05, 05 1:14 am

DX was available for PS AFTER is was a PC GAME. Deus Ex:IW was made for consoles and fixed up for PC.

I thought the storyline was great too. The endings... all erm 5 of them?

Illuminati
The ORDER
Those heavily modified alien looking things
DANCE party
and I forget the last one

Anyway they all sucked.
Jeoh
Forum Legend

Postby Jeoh » Wed Jan 05, 05 1:15 am

oh duh... and merging with JCDENTON
Jeoh
Forum Legend

Postby Jeoh » Wed Jan 05, 05 1:19 am

BTw each ending could be consolidated down into an already existant form of government.

Merge with JC - Ending shows a communistic sort of society
Side with Templars - A heavily theologically based society
Side with those trader thingamajigs - anarchy
Illuminati - Dictatorship
Dance Party - Canada.
Jeoh
Forum Legend

Postby AlexDenton » Wed Jan 05, 05 6:19 pm

Anonymous wrote:BTw each ending could be consolidated down into an already existant form of government.

Merge with JC - Ending shows a communistic sort of society
Side with Templars - A heavily theologically based society
Side with those trader thingamajigs - anarchy
Illuminati - Dictatorship
Dance Party - Canada.

i ahve to disagree wtih you there

Merge with JC - Communism - correct to and extent, but i would rahter use Marxism, as it depicts a utopian society
Templars - wrong, im afraid. the templars are actually anti-science, and they are literally obsessed with the concept of pure blood. you see, the original knights beleived they were direct descendants from Jesus, and taht their blood was the purest of all mankinds. therefore, they would see science as an interference with the natural law of DNA
OMAR - they are the traders :wink: -yes anarchy
Illuminati - 100% dedicated to science, and very very anti-religious, however, the leaders, (chad dumier, and DuClare) wanted to merge the idea of science and religion in order to gain complete controll.
however, the illuminati would prefer a more scientific approach to life, and nothing to do with dictatorship, no, but rather descretion and puppet-ruling, for example, teh way the infiltrated the original US government
the illuminati basically took over the FreeMasons areound the time of the US Revolution, and when Washington set up the first goverment, that senate was made of freemasons, and the illuminati practically controlled over half of the original senate
whether there is still an Illuminatus in the US senate... no one knows

Dance Party - le W la T el F :wink:
AlexDenton
Forum Legend

Postby Jeoh » Thu Jan 06, 05 6:24 am

got the templars and illuminati backwards
Jeoh
Forum Legend

Postby Jeoh » Thu Jan 06, 05 6:27 am

or actually, I didn't... the Templars ending was heavily theological...

The illuminati was a dictatorship ebhind the mask of democracy.
Jeoh
Forum Legend

Postby Whiplash » Sat Aug 26, 06 8:26 am

'scuse me for reviving this topic but I didn't have DXIW until recently.

First of all, I was not surprised when I found Nicolette DuClare to be the head of the Order church - "Her Holiness" voice was a dead giveaway. Very unmistakeable.

My favorite piece of nostalgia in DXIW? Talk to one of the bums in the UNATCO building on liberty island and you'll find out that UNATCO got Gunther Hermann the skull gun he so badly wanted, but that he didn't survive to collect it: the bum you talked to found it there somewere.

BTW what's the story with the "Dance Party ending???" I never heard of that?
Come visit XPS

We're recruiting fighters and mappers.

We also offer a public mapping service.
Whiplash

Postby Dae » Sat Aug 26, 06 8:36 am

Whiplash wrote:'BTW what's the story with the "Dance Party ending???" I never heard of that?

You have to take the flag in the entrance to UNATCO building and flush the toilet in Manderley's office while holding it in hands 8)
Dae
Alpha

Re: The Storyline/The Inspiration/The Mentality/The Human Ps

Postby Imperial » Thu Sep 21, 06 4:57 pm

AlexDenton wrote:t0mgz0rz

it was annoying for me that you found out that Chad Dumier was leader of the WTO enclaves so early on, and it pissed me off to find that Chad was preaching against JCDenton, when JC had saved his ass and the rest of the Silhouette in the paris Catacombes

[/b]

He had a reason for preacing against jc if you were one of the ones, who, didn't save the hostages and killed all his people.One of my favourite parts is when I come back with no hostages( after killing them with a sawed off much to their suprise) and tell chad that the hostages didn't make it. Then chad, showing no gratefullness gets killed, because imo he was an arrogrant, persumptious prick to begin with. he and all his people pay the price. It was fun telling the kid his mother was dead then killing him after he got emotinal. Pathetic.

He comes back?Ah no, but I killed him!! Zombieeee
I sell donuts, if you want my donuts, give me a call.

DONUTS
Imperial
Forum Hero

Postby Zantinzuken » Thu Sep 21, 06 5:12 pm

Watch your dates there Imperial, this topic is a lil' old ;)
Zantinzuken
NINNY BOYYYYY

Postby Josh_Stargunner » Thu Apr 05, 07 2:31 pm

REVIVIFICATION! This topic is reactivated by mee! Well alexdenton you have a very nice summary of the game and its inner meaning, which i think impey there missed, by brutally slaying every non god npc!
Josh_Stargunner
Wannabe

Postby Imperial » Thu Apr 05, 07 2:48 pm

:D
It would have been boring to just save them.. they didn't deserve it lol
I sell donuts, if you want my donuts, give me a call.

DONUTS
Imperial
Forum Hero

Postby Josh_Stargunner » Thu Apr 05, 07 3:51 pm

well when i played that game i was only 11, i played IW shortly after it came out, cannot remember when that was, but all i can remember is that IW was shorter and simpler, that was the only downside to it all!
Josh_Stargunner
Wannabe

Return to Deus Ex: Invisible War