CGL Details!

All multiplayer related discussion.

Moderator: Forum Guards

CGL Details!

Postby Survive. » Fri Apr 11, 08 11:30 pm

Crosshair Gaming League UK
As the title states, there is a new e-gaming league opening up very soon called the CGL (Crosshair Gaming League) who will provide ladders for the ‘older’ games of our generation.

It is still in the construction phase, but it is nearing release and we are hoping it will be going live by the end of next week (18th – variable). Once the league is open, there will be a new classic game being added every week, and on the second week Deus Ex will be added to the equation.

The problem:
Now the only problem at the moment is, there aren’t many competitive teams available for Deus Ex, so over the next two weeks our goal is to try and form as many new teams as possible, and to spread the word about the new league.
So basically, the more teams the better the competition.

How the league works:
Every team is entered into a qualification ladder, where they will battle against each other until 5 teams are left (all knocked out teams will automatically be entered into the games open ladder), the 5 teams that defeated the competition will be entered into a champions ladder where they will play against each other. The winning team from this ladder will be given the chance to play as the CGL’s corporate team, where they will be given the chance to earn servers, web space and other materials essential to running a successful clan. Once all of this is over, all teams (including the CGL’s new corporate team) will be entered into the games ‘open ladder’ where they will play against each other at their own leisure.

Ranking:
All results from wars played in the open ladder will be entered into the sites global ladder ranking and the teams ranking, where every single team in the ladder will be ranked against each other.

I'm Clanless...what now?
The CGL can help you, wether you are looking for a team to play for or want to start your own team, we provide you with everything needed. Theres nothing to loose, and alot to gain, you could end up playing as CGL's corporate team!

For more information or updates you can contact the managing director at (butter_monkey@hotmail.co.uk) or me at (rfdan@hotmail.co.uk)

Also, there will be regular news updates on the progress of the site and launch of the league at http://195.12.48.125/~crossha/.
Last edited by Survive. on Sat Apr 12, 08 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Survive.
Master

Postby Psycho » Sun Apr 13, 08 7:37 pm

Why no responce? I think its a brilliant idea, judging by the website it looks like it will be succesfull.
Psycho
Forum Hero

Postby Alex » Sun Apr 13, 08 8:04 pm

Been done before, unbalanced teams, etc.. Conclusion: Failure.
Alex
Alpha

Postby James » Sun Apr 13, 08 8:56 pm

Not very sure this will go anywhere other than amateur ladders.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Siva » Sun Apr 13, 08 9:11 pm

Been done. The games that have dedicated communities (like Deus Ex) will never get much larger than they are. This is why games like Natural Selection don't have CAL play anymore.

And the games that have communities large enough already have dedicated leagues such as CAL, CPL (I think this got shut down?), TWL, MLG(for the consoles), WGS(I think this got shut down also..?).
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby Psycho » Sun Apr 13, 08 9:58 pm

But this might be difrent?
Psycho
Forum Hero

Postby Nickel » Sun Apr 13, 08 10:05 pm

Hi, I'm the managing director over at the Crosshair Gaming League UK, and I respect your opinion, but I don't think that you've got the full picture, which is technically my fault for not explaining fully.

Deus Ex won't be the only game we are creating a league for, it is a league designed for older games starting with Soldier of Fortune 2 and every week a new game will be added (DX - 2nd week) until we have an evergrowing community. As for the league failing, your entitled to your opinion, also out of interest, were these leagues ran by dedicated companies? Or just players from the game who wanted more?

So I hope that has shed some light on some topics you were unsure of before.

Thank you all for your feedback, it's very useful.
Last edited by Nickel on Sun Apr 13, 08 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nickel

Postby Psycho » Sun Apr 13, 08 10:35 pm

Full Stop :D
Psycho
Forum Hero

Postby Alex » Mon Apr 14, 08 8:24 am

Nickel wrote:Hi, I'm the managing director over at the Crosshair Gaming League UK, and I respect your opinion, but I don't think that you've got the full picture, which is technically my fault for not explaining fully.

Deus Ex won't be the only game we are creating a league for, it is a league designed for older games starting with Soldier of Fortune 2 and every week a new game will be added (DX - 2nd week) until we have an evergrowing community. As for the league failing, your entitled to your opinion, also out of interest, were these leagues ran by dedicated companies? Or just players from the game who wanted more?

So I hope that has shed some light on some topics you were unsure of before.

Thank you all for your feedback, it's very useful.

I doubt it's run by dedicated companies (I mean this leage). Name 1 company who would do this for a game like Deus Ex that has no market value, whatsoever.
EDIT: Small edit, I read that winners get a clanserver. Thing is, this system is teambased, teams are not clanbased thus most likely contain the best players of different teams. How do you do that then? Seems to be that you guys didn't spend too much time thinking about this.
Last edited by Alex on Mon Apr 14, 08 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alex
Alpha

Postby [FGS]ShadowRunner » Tue Apr 15, 08 4:23 pm

Hi, I'm the managing director over at the Crosshair Gaming League UK

A league was attempted in 2006/2007 by JTB and REN clans, a server was prepared... but it seemed to hinge on one person, his computer and his holiday, then fell apart cos this person did not have professional budget or time committment.

Also many leagues in the past have failed.

The community suffered a spate of botnet/dos attacks on servers and this crippled a dwindling community. Those that are left consist of unskilled and semi-skilled new players and those that are mostly editors and mappers and coders and people who have invested something into the game and mostly have been playing from release or soon after. The community is unbalanced in this respect in servers and I think people's expectations of a league being successful or doing anything for DX are very low. The last attempt just served to show that numbers of players had reached critical mass last year. Seeing more than 20 online now is a good thing.

Also there is the issue that the community is quite fragmented at the moment. Some people 0-aug, some people aug, some people only fight custom mods like RPG, Altfire or Fun servers. One of the reigning 0-aug clans will fight us in 0-aug, but not in Altfire, another clan will fight DXSG, but not without augs or normal weps etc...

Having said all that, I am not trying to be pessimistic, your project is positive news and my clan will support it however we can. There have been past failures, so you may find some ppl aren't gonna waste time on this project until they see some results, but personally I am excited and positive about this event...
[FGS]ShadowRunner
Addict

Postby {17}agentsmith » Tue Apr 15, 08 7:02 pm

im looking forward to ir and i think if people try and support it it will succeed :)
maxtor01 wrote:Yea virtual memory! the head seeks STRONG left and right and THE command makes you have to reboot when your eatmemmed. so u may have to repair windows if it screws up install and i didnt say he could shut it down (my uncle is arrogent). and i BACK up like no tomorrow!
{17}agentsmith
Poster

Postby Psycho » Tue Apr 15, 08 8:51 pm

Doubting would not help at all.
Last edited by Psycho on Tue Apr 15, 08 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psycho
Forum Hero

Postby Alex » Tue Apr 15, 08 10:03 pm

So I just had a talk with the "Managing Director" of the League. Yes, Managing Director, a real company! Even though they didn't have a tax number when I asked for one.

Anyways, I found out how the teams work. They want teams with leader, co-leader and members. Not just a group of friends, no, they want entire clans to be made!

So basically... MULTI-CLANNING, HERE WE COME!
Alex
Alpha

Postby [FGS]ShadowRunner » Wed Apr 16, 08 2:33 am

can't an entire clan just enter? Or is the whole point that I fight with someone from another clan?

Our clan already got about 4 different ranks/type of player...
[FGS]ShadowRunner
Addict

Postby Psycho » Wed Apr 16, 08 7:53 am

Alex wrote:So I just had a talk with the "Managing Director" of the League. Yes, Managing Director, a real company! Even though they didn't have a tax number when I asked for one.

Anyways, I found out how the teams work. They want teams with leader, co-leader and members. Not just a group of friends, no, they want entire clans to be made!

So basically... MULTI-CLANNING, HERE WE COME!

I think you have the wrong end of the stick here. If you are clanless CLANLESS you will be allowed to form together with another person who perhaps hasn't been chosen for their clans team.

So if you want to be hypocritical be my guest, if it was you doing this sort of league you would hate it if people slag it off.

Do you have a tax number for your moding? Well you ask for money, you must have a tax number?
Psycho
Forum Hero

Postby Bear » Wed Apr 16, 08 5:17 pm

So, you can choose bots?
Bear
Addict

Postby Psycho » Wed Apr 16, 08 7:31 pm

I don't know? :D
Psycho
Forum Hero

Postby rob » Thu Apr 17, 08 8:04 am

just wondering where the prizes will come from, a server sounds VERY nice indeed, where and who will be hosting this.

btw i fixed my dx so maybe i can gather some [N]s dick.
________
4500gt
Last edited by rob on Fri Feb 18, 11 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob
Regular

Postby Survive. » Thu Apr 17, 08 8:33 am

I can't see where people get this idea of a server? Probably from the ARM forum but that's some mixed info :p

Anyhow, we shall see later on what will happen. :)
Survive.
Master

Postby Alex » Thu Apr 17, 08 9:51 am

¤[ß2S]¤Sürvívë wrote:I can't see where people get this idea of a server? Probably from the ARM forum but that's some mixed info :p

Anyhow, we shall see later on what will happen. :)

I decided no longer to interfere with this, but as you know, your brother (psycho) posted on the ARM forums that you could win "clanservers and shiz". This idea does not come from out of the blue.
Alex
Alpha

Postby Mr. Tastix » Thu Apr 17, 08 10:02 am

~þsÿçhø~ wrote:Do you have a tax number for your moding? Well you ask for money, you must have a tax number?

The difference with Alex is he makes modifications as an INDIVIDUAL. This weird "Manager" guy claims that he owns a company. A company asks for money and they should be paying taxes if they are a company.

I'm fairly sure Alex would work for most of his money so asking for some money for mods isn't uncommon. People do it all the time for websites or graphics. It's called freelancing.
Blood is thicker than water and sweeter than candy.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby Zantinzuken » Thu Apr 17, 08 6:39 pm

rob wrote:just wondering where the prizes will come from, a server sounds VERY nice indeed, where and who will be hosting this.

Myself and Eric's been playing regularly.
Zantinzuken
NINNY BOYYYYY

Postby Cyrus » Thu Apr 17, 08 6:48 pm

klept0 wrote:
rob wrote:just wondering where the prizes will come from, a server sounds VERY nice indeed, where and who will be hosting this.

Myself and Eric's been playing regularly.

Only a tiny bit!

THANKS KEITH
Cyrus
Commander of IRELAND

Postby synthetic » Thu Apr 17, 08 6:50 pm

Thought I replied here, but I guess not. REN will be participating.
Last edited by synthetic on Thu Apr 17, 08 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[TSS][¥]{¥+EoD}{RF}{MoH}[G][NEM][UE][N]{U}[REN][BM][FGS][THC][:¤:]
synthetic
Forum Hero

Postby Cozmo » Thu Apr 17, 08 8:37 pm

Man, everyone's so pessimistic. :|
Cozmo_RPG (v1 & v2)
MPConversations - A tool for creating multiplayer RPG stuff
Cozmo
Master

Postby [FGS]ShadowRunner » Thu Apr 17, 08 9:21 pm

REN and FGS aint... B2S aint obviously...
[FGS]ShadowRunner
Addict

Postby Mr. Tastix » Fri Apr 18, 08 1:32 am

LOL. B2S isn't participating even though one of the LEADERS is openly advertising CGL? Well that's just dandy, ain't it?
Blood is thicker than water and sweeter than candy.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby Psycho » Fri Apr 18, 08 7:50 am

[FGS]ShadowRunner wrote:REN and FGS aint... B2S aint obviously...

Why's that?
Psycho
Forum Hero

Postby Survive. » Fri Apr 18, 08 8:24 am

¤[ß2S]¤Cozmo wrote:Man, everyone's so pessimistic. :|
[FGS]ShadowRunner wrote:REN and FGS aint... B2S aint obviously...

/\

Ok,
PESSIMISTIC: Adjective - Expecting the worst possible outcome :o

And RTK ain't pessimistic ;)

---

Not sure where my brother got that idea about the clanserver from

:?

Anyhow, sorry for any confusion!
Survive.
Master

Postby Nickel » Mon Apr 21, 08 10:25 am

Hey again,

Haven't been checking back recently enough it seems, just been reading your comments and I respect your opinions, I would, however, like to thank everyone who's been supporting the idea and I hope I can put an answer to the confusion about the CGL.

Registered Company
Alex and I did in fact have a chat on MSN, I contentedly answered his questions to do with the community side of the league, however, what he failed to mention was that I am not allowed to release any information about our funds and where it comes from until the opening live date of the site. Now I know this sounds very weird and it looks like we don't have any funding etc etc, but rest assured, alot of work and commitment is going into this project. (I will release more information about how exactly this league is registered as a company once the site goes live)

Multi Clanning
As I've pointed out on other forums (I apologize for not updating here as much as I should have) there is nothing at all stopping you registering your whole clan as a team (it is encouraged over 'multi-clanning') and also when we refer to teams, we also mean clans. So my fault for the confusion there. But also, as Psycho said, if you are clanless and you want to start your own clan/team, you have the perfect right to.

Also about what Alex was saying about all the higher-skilled players being in one team/clan. I'm sure everyone here who has experience of playing under or managing a organized team/clan knows that any team can get better with the right type of training and management, it happens all the time on the more popular leagues (i.e. ED, CB, TWL, CGL, FGL etc)

Prizes
This server prize idea has been thrown around recently, I'm glad it has, as I think it's a good idea, so if you have any other suggestions please feel free to let us know :)

So whats happening now?
I'm very pleased to announce that the CGL is very close to release and internal testing, we expect it to be ready by mid next week (around about the 30th) but I'm not making any promises :P

Things have been starting to look up for the league and we're looking forward to it's release, we hope you are too.

Anymore questions or comments are welcomed with open arms

- Cheers :D

EDIT:
One quick addition to my post, after going around the other clan forums, I picked up a good idea one of their members had. But before I go ahead, I wouldn't want to disturb how you all run your clans at the moment and if you don't want to, you don't have to at all.

The idea was: form squads within your clans for different ladders, for example:

Example Clan (EC)
- EC (0-aug'ed squad)
- EC (full-aug'ed squad)

etc.

But as I said, it's only a suggestion, you don't have to follow it at all.
Last edited by Nickel on Mon Apr 21, 08 10:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Nickel

Next

Return to Multiplayer