Future Of Deus Ex

All multiplayer related discussion.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Future Of Deus Ex

Postby -HDD21- » Sat Jan 03, 09 1:52 pm

Deus Ex has quite a few players, but one big problem. Quite alot of assholes.
In RPG alot of people item spam, ignore warnings and then end up banned. In the time ive hosted a popular RPG, I saw alot of idiots come and go along with genuine players.
I personally think alpha would do good back in DeusEx, i left and havnt opened it up in ages, im just determined to come back and continue coding and mapping and hosting for it. Cheap servers are avalable from:
counter-strike.com for very good prices. $14.99 for a 10 slot public. They dont even notice if you up it, you can even change a private to a public with Deus Ex and they wont even notice. And you can choose the hosting location.
When alpha left, quietness came up on it. With the alpha servers/players missing, alot of the fun itself was destroyed along with that. I was a dickhead in the [A] Server quite alot i know. And why did alpha leave?

Just the same reason many others did. One person. With quite a dirty mind.
Who thought they knew better than the game creators and destroyed it in the way he did. Breeching the privacy of a few players. Joined his fake server, you get a backdoor program asking for internet access on zone alam. Not antivirus detected, picked up with antispyware but the internet access was all ot ovous. it was like KAKDJ.exe which would do it whenever you joined. He wanted to breech the players privacy as well as change their masterserver. I think that is one of the worst things someone can do on the internet. On that machine: Photos, MSN Chatlogs, My dads work backed up to my PC, and other stuff. A couple of select people thought it was ok to breech the pricacy of players. Who suck up to dejavu

Now its 2009 and im, not sure what to do.. stay... leave the game and hang on the forums. I loved mapping and coding, And a few people can force people to give up their hobby.

RPG is filled 24/7 but requires an admin there alot to keep the players Inline. A question for you alex, when you hosted LEES HK, did you notice alot of players would lag the server by putting 100s of credits in the pool?
Also would put loads of cigs and sodacans in it? And also would spam items in the underground rooms?
A problem thats common with that map. On my one the furniture in the river and the bugging of the hospital elevator was common.
Also ladderbugging on the electricity pylons.
Not sure if many of you here saw that one, "LTKJM_Village"

Well not sure on its future, what do you lot think?

I may comeback and put up the RPG and CTDM again. But im not sure what to do...
Last edited by -HDD21- on Sat Jan 03, 09 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-HDD21-
Wannabe

Postby Alex » Sat Jan 03, 09 2:01 pm

Quick comment about my server: I protected it for that. Items thrown in the water were deleted, other items that could be used for item spamming would disappear after 2 minutes.
Alex
Alpha

Postby -HDD21- » Sat Jan 03, 09 2:04 pm

Thats alot better. Prventation better than cure. the cure: What i did is ban the offenders and reset the map. It got too annoying, one time i went in the pool myself and picked them all out 1 by 1 or i would then say to the players who did it:
"you will be kicked/banned if you dont pick them back up" if they had already had a warning.
-HDD21-
Wannabe

Postby Alex » Sat Jan 03, 09 2:06 pm

That's what I started with. Eventually I banned a few players but you will never be able to make sure noone does it, seeing as everyone does it. So I made some code adjustments.
Alex
Alpha

Postby -HDD21- » Sat Jan 03, 09 2:10 pm

Yeah thats the best way. I tried to convince players not to do it,but it was nigh impossable.
Neat solution you had
-HDD21-
Wannabe

Postby L3thal. » Sun Jan 04, 09 2:37 am

Alex is right on this. You need to prevent it, rather than relying on players to have the decency not to mess around. My MMCity mod had so many restrictions on players to stop any sort of disturbances, just so that we could have some normal RPG* play.

Hypocritical as it was, I made some hardcore console-checker (thanks to Alex's help) and other security features on top of that.

I just thought; if i were a player, how could I exploit bugs on this map/mod, etc? And I'd block those functions.

* when I say RPG I mean a real Role Playing Game where your process is logged in a config file with your registered account login details on a MySQL server, rather than a "RPGCity" or "FunLine" style of map.
L3thal.

Postby Mr. Tastix » Sun Jan 04, 09 3:04 am

Yeah, I done it once lol. But it's "novelty" wears off fast and most people on RPG servers would rather look for exploits to kill you in "god mode" areas rather than fill some pool up with crap items. On Lees HK server most of the people I saw just kept shooting people EVERYWHERE, and it does get annoying after a while.
Blood is thicker than water and sweeter than candy.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Re: Future Of Deus Ex

Postby Mastakilla » Sun Jan 04, 09 3:59 am

Hock wrote:Deus Ex has quite a few players, but one big problem. Quite alot of assholes.

News flash: All online games have assholes, all of them more than Deus Ex because their community tend the be a bit bigger.

Although Deus Ex is the only game with assholes in SP
*thinks of Manderley*
Last edited by Mastakilla on Sun Jan 04, 09 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero

Postby Dae » Sun Jan 04, 09 4:18 pm

MastaKilla wrote:Although Deus Ex is the only game with assholes in SP

Topic has been split to "Assholes in singleplayers".
Dae
Alpha

Postby Psycho » Mon Jan 05, 09 10:45 pm

Hi HDD?
Psycho
Forum Hero

Postby -HDD21- » Tue Jan 06, 09 2:22 am

we all know =p
-HDD21-
Wannabe

Postby Survive. » Thu Jan 08, 09 3:07 am

I was actually browsing in The Game for Deus Ex. Not like I need another copy since I have like 5, just to check if they still stock them and people buy them, didn't even find one copy...
Survive.
Master

Return to Multiplayer