I can't see you!

All multiplayer related discussion.

Moderator: Forum Guards

I can't see you!

Postby Zondartul » Tue Mar 31, 09 8:38 pm

So I open DXMP, search for servers, and only 4 of like 20 have any players on them. In sum there are 20 people online. Just that time of day maybe? I thought it could also be due to alot of servers being on a different masterserver. Otherwise would be pretty weird because when 20 people are on next day there should be none, I mean, DXMP would be dead ages ago like that. But it isn't. So where are everyone hiding? I bet at any time, globally there would be at least 50 people playing. Probably 80, and sometimes around 120. Unless this thing is really that dead.

So.... would you please list ALL working masterservers?
Zondartul
Poster

Postby Dex » Tue Mar 31, 09 9:00 pm

GameSpy.
0-20 players average.
Dex
Forum Hero

Postby Tonnochi » Tue Mar 31, 09 9:55 pm

I get the same thing, but it is because the game really is that dead.
Tonnochi
Forum Hero

Postby [FUC]King » Tue Mar 31, 09 10:54 pm

thats one of the reasons its a good idea for everyone to get involved in the new chat room, people who want to play mp can log into the chat too, that way players can meet up and see whos planning on playing mp.

dx.gamejam.org
[FUC]King

Postby Mr. Tastix » Wed Apr 01, 09 4:29 am

My problem with DXMP now is that it's gone... dare I say it... stale? People have played it out so many times, and while it IS a good game I don't doubt that people are moving on to other games due to better gameplay in general.

In their opinion ofc, for example, I used to like DXMP since it was the only game I knew, that and I liked RP servers, now I prefer Team Fortress 2 and sometimes a bit of Unreal Tournament. The latter is personal preference for me, UT seems to have more players and I can get into it more since on DXMP I gotta sort out keybinds and shit (I don't hate 0-Augs, but I don't like how slow paced it feels).
Blood is thicker than water and sweeter than candy.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby Baleout » Wed Apr 01, 09 5:57 pm

Stop trying to incite flame etc.
Baleout
Master

Postby Hanover Fist » Thu Apr 02, 09 12:50 am

I've never met a consistent player who was bad at 0 augs.

Although I've hardly met many players today who are any good at DXMP.
Last edited by Hanover Fist on Thu Apr 02, 09 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is a full wallet and a loaded clip
Hanover Fist
Master

Postby Mr. Tastix » Thu Apr 02, 09 8:52 am

[T]RECLAIMER wrote:I've never met a consistent player who was bad at 0 augs.

You haven't met me then lmao. But I was just impatient with it, it was far too slow-paced for my liking. I could never get used to it, I wasn't that great at it but with faster paced games (IMO that is) like Team Fortress 2 I feel better playing them and feel like I do much better on them.

[T]RECLAIMER wrote:Although I've hardly met many players today who are any good at DXMP.

Yeah, neither have I. But I stopped playing so I'm no good at DXMP anymore myself. I know the strategies I used but haven't played so long that I've gotten stale at using them.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby Hanover Fist » Thu Apr 02, 09 8:35 pm

I've never heard of you. Every player I speak to on forums says they were great once. I thought the reason was because they usaed to have a low ping 0 aug server they could destroy in.

The problem with that gametype is that its so simple and so elementary that anyone can excel at it in a matter of a few days practice and it instills a sense of false godliness.

Hence why fools like Majin or REN think they have any talent.
Last edited by Hanover Fist on Thu Apr 02, 09 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is a full wallet and a loaded clip
Hanover Fist
Master

Postby clyzm » Thu Apr 02, 09 9:35 pm

Hitting 3,000 homeruns is talent. Bowling a perfect game of 300 is talent. A few lucky strokes of the keyboard over a game barely 3 people play is not talent.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Mr. Tastix » Thu Apr 02, 09 11:20 pm

[T]RECLAIMER wrote:I've never heard of you. Every player I speak to on forums says they were great once. I thought the reason was because they usaed to have a low ping 0 aug server they could destroy in.

The problem with that gametype is that its so simple and so elementary that anyone can excel at it in a matter of a few days practice and it instills a sense of false godliness.

Hence why fools like Majin or REN think they have any talent.

I was never "great", I reckon I was good if not mediocre at best. I know the strategies, but not the implementation. Also note that living in NZ back when I played I got some pretty bad pings.

I have played on 0-Aug servers but that's not what I started playing. I started with Augs, and I've always preferred it. But playing Augs on anywhere between 400-2000 ping is really hard (dunno why the hell 400ms lags so much compared to 2000 though).

cataclyzm wrote:Hitting 3,000 homeruns is talent. Bowling a perfect game of 300 is talent. A few lucky strokes of the keyboard over a game barely 3 people play is not talent.

A few lucky strokes doesn't take much talent, it takes just that; luck. A few strokes without luck doesn't take talent either, I'm proving that right now by typing out this message.

Using those strokes to win a video game however by not hacking or sheer "luck" as some people might call it does not take luck IMO. Talent is involved in many games to be good if not excellent, I think so more in RPG's than in FPS' games personally but that's just my opinion.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby Zondartul » Mon Apr 06, 09 6:15 pm

Wait a second, surely Gamespy's isn't the only masterserver out there, no?
Zondartul
Poster

Postby Alex » Mon Apr 06, 09 6:25 pm

Nio wrote:Wait a second, surely Gamespy's isn't the only masterserver out there, no?

There are some player-hosted masterservers, but they are all kind of... crap. Yeah, that's basically it. They're crap.
Alex
Alpha

Postby ~[ß]Lost~ » Mon Apr 06, 09 11:27 pm

HDD21 will save DXMP with his masterserver /sarcasm.
Sike
clanb.deus-ex.net

Legion wrote:By default, I'm bi. However I've spent a great deal of time "burying" that aspect of me...
~[ß]Lost~
Poster

Postby Allan » Tue Apr 07, 09 8:11 am

Well, anything's better than nothing. Sometimes.

Even if it adds 2 extra servers using MMUserInterface.
Allan
Alpha

Postby ~ô¿ô~Nobody~ » Thu Apr 23, 09 12:01 am

Alex wrote:
Nio wrote:Wait a second, surely Gamespy's isn't the only masterserver out there, no?

There are some player-hosted masterservers, but they are all kind of... crap. Yeah, that's basically it. They're crap.

Pardon, why this?
Nobody is perfect...
------------------------------
Longc[A]t wrote:I still think Dae is a russian spambot.

~[A]Daedalus~ wrote:There will be a day when my patience goes away and you, along with all who rant with you, will get banned.

ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.
~ô¿ô~Nobody~
Alpha

Postby UT » Thu Apr 23, 09 12:13 am

The latter is personal preference for me, UT seems to have more players

You are talking about UT99?

yeah, they are still a lot of players there. But 30% of ut players have gone, cause they were addicted to WoW :?

Fuck games like wow :(
Tim Sweeeeeeney<3
James wrote:Of course I do I'm living the dream!!!!

DJ wrote:wat dream

Chloe wrote:me, ofc
UT
Elite

Location: Action de déterminer avec précision le lieu de quelque chose.

Postby James » Fri Apr 24, 09 12:20 pm

Chloe wrote:Fuck games like wow

Agreed. End game is fucking boring but I do not regret getting there.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Return to Multiplayer