Optimised DXMP maps

All multiplayer related discussion.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Optimised DXMP maps

Postby China » Fri Apr 15, 11 12:14 pm

Optimised versions of DXMP_Smuggler, DXMP_CMD and DXMP_Area51Bunker, these maps have alot of non essential actors and brushes removed in order to improve FPS and run smoother. The map sizes have been reduced from 10% to 30%. However the edits are quite subtle and the maps maintain there atmosphere and feel. These maps are suitable for both 0 Augs and Augged gameplay.

DXMP_Smuggler_Optimised http://www.mediafire.com/?yd24cot3zd23n6i

DXMP_CMD_Optimised http://www.mediafire.com/?2mssbuws1qmdtdw

DXMP_Area51Bunker_Optimised http://www.mediafire.com/?cqhea17kx8851af

C H I N E S E D E M O C R A C Y
http://dxmp.freeforums.org
www.chinnysdeusexblog.wordpress.com
China
Wannabe

Postby Dae » Fri Apr 15, 11 12:37 pm

Interesting.

Could you give examples of such actors?

Do they really run smoother?
Dae
Alpha

Postby China » Fri Apr 15, 11 1:48 pm

Chairs, shop lights, satellite dishes, plants etc.

These actors can be replaced with brushwork using the Textures from DeusExDeco, I remember seeing brushwork made trees from Mantra which were very nicely done.
Last edited by China on Fri Apr 15, 11 1:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
www.chinnysdeusexblog.wordpress.com
China
Wannabe

Postby Alex » Fri Apr 15, 11 2:28 pm

Some things can be replaced, but replacing chairs and plants? Come on man.
Alex
Alpha

Postby Professor Layton » Fri Apr 15, 11 3:20 pm

I really can't see how removing a few things like that would increase people's fps significantly. How much does it actually differ?

Not sure if removing stuff like the sattelite dishes are really subtle btw, they did offer more to hide behind than that little stub that's left behind now.
Last edited by Professor Layton on Fri Apr 15, 11 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby Gishank » Sat Apr 16, 11 9:28 am

Indeed, I agree it seems a bit excessive..

Additionally, with todays systems, I doubt anyone could have poor performence letalone notice an FPS increase with such adjustments to the maps.
Gishank
Forum Super Hero

Postby MainMan » Sat Apr 16, 11 11:22 am

This is crap - one of the great features of DX was the level of interactivity with the surroundings, I mean who hasn't played around with stacking crates, throwing plants at unatco troops, pushing sofas to block exits, etc. Even in MP, you're missing a part of Deus Ex by removing that level of engagement.

If you actually remodelled some of the geometry on the other hand, that could be useful, perhaps replacing some details with bitmaps.
<center>ty m7
</center>
MainMan
<i>Tru' Playa' Fer Defs</i>

Postby Marder » Sat Apr 16, 11 11:24 am

I've been told that Unreal Tournament refreshes non-essential actors (not characters or weps) at 1 per sec. For some reason DX refreshes all actors at 100 per second. There lies the issue. Deja has recoded this so that servers can refresh non-essential actors at 1 per second. This means alot of actors can now be stuffed into maps, perhaps even more than you see in single player.

I think though it is perception and not everyone knows this, therefore I anticipate a demand for Chinny's maps.
Marder
Poster

Postby James » Sat Apr 16, 11 11:30 am

I'll appreciate a better name than an ugly "Optimised" stuck to the end of them. :) DXMPO_? for instance. (Still ugly, but not unnecessarily long.)

Still the idea behind the maps need to be looked at again, as quoted:

Alex wrote:Some things can be replaced, but replacing chairs and plants?

Professor Layton wrote:Not sure if removing stuff like the sattelite dishes are really subtle btw, they did offer more to hide behind than that little stub that's left behind now.

Professor Layton wrote:I really can't see how removing a few things like that would increase people's fps significantly. How much does it actually differ?

MainMan wrote:If you actually remodelled some of the geometry on the other hand, that could be useful, perhaps replacing some details with bitmaps.
Last edited by James on Sat Apr 16, 11 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
James
Alpha

Postby Professor Layton » Sat Apr 16, 11 12:18 pm

Marder wrote:I've been told that Unreal Tournament refreshes non-essential actors (not characters or weps) at 1 per sec. For some reason DX refreshes all actors at 100 per second. There lies the issue.

Removing just a few things like chairs, lamps and sattelite dishes still shouldn't make any notable difference though, it's not like the maps are stuffed with 2000 chairs or so.
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby Rödewijk » Sat Apr 16, 11 12:26 pm

nice idea good work chinny :gj:

Gishank wrote:Indeed, I agree it seems a bit excessive..

Additionally, with todays systems, I doubt anyone could have poor performence letalone notice an FPS increase with such adjustments to the maps.

Trust me there are.
Last edited by Rödewijk on Sat Apr 16, 11 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rödewijk
Master

Postby James » Sat Apr 16, 11 12:59 pm

From 220fps to 230fps...?
Last edited by James on Sat Apr 16, 11 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James
Alpha

Postby Professor Layton » Sat Apr 16, 11 1:20 pm

Rödewijk wrote:nice idea good work chinny :gj:

Gishank wrote:Indeed, I agree it seems a bit excessive..

Trust me there are.
Got a comparison for this certain mapedit? I just really can't see how this would make a big difference, so any numbers would be great.

Edit: Testing it myself, will post results soon
Last edited by Professor Layton on Sat Apr 16, 11 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby Professor Layton » Sat Apr 16, 11 1:53 pm

Area51bunker, overlooking the whole map from the tower

DXMP_Area51Bunker = 128fps
DXMP_Area51Bunker_Optimised = 132fps

FPS increase = 3.125%

Smuggler, sat in the middle room in a corner, looking at a fixed spot near the turret

DXMP_Smuggler = 273 fps
DXMP_Smuggler_Optimised = 275 fps

FPS increase = 0.732%

With Area51bunker fps increasing about 3% on the most 'graphics-intensive' spot and Smuggler having an fps increase of less than 1%, I don't think it's worth the hassle to make people host these maps instead of their originals.

Just to relate those numbers a bit to people who still somehow don't get a lot of fps in this game:

30 fps with a 3.125% increase becomes 30.975 fps, which is not even a whole number more than 30 fps.

30 fps with a 0.732% increase becomes 30.219 fps, which doesn't really change anything.
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby James » Sat Apr 16, 11 2:03 pm

Not even 10fps!!

Chinny I suggest you find another way to optimise because even these drastic changes aren't enough. Mainman's suggestion is good, try that.
James
Alpha

Postby Professor Layton » Sat Apr 16, 11 2:09 pm

I think the main things that just drop your fps are other players and their augmentation effects. I've seen my fps drop massively, just due to all the bullets and players flying around. I'd say that would be a direction to look at, although it's probably going to be hard to implement something which edits as much as that.
GrandpaTerran wrote:THIS MAP HAS BEEN POSTPONED FOR NOW I'LL RE-DEVELOP WHEN I HAVE COMPLETED MY MAPPING TRAINING
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby Mastakilla » Sat Apr 16, 11 2:28 pm

MainMan wrote:This is crap - one of the great features of DX was the level of interactivity with the surroundings, I mean who hasn't played around with stacking crates, throwing plants at unatco troops, pushing sofas to block exits, etc. Even in MP, you're missing a part of Deus Ex by removing that level of engagement.

I agree on your point of interactivity etc. However, there are players who prefer just a straight on deathmatch, without lifting crates and chairs :lol:

Chinny is trying to do a good thing here, however, the minimal FPS increase could possibly be nullified by the fact that some people will have to download this map to join the server if they didn't download before joining (probably alot) which will affect ping again...

Still think these maps may be usefull in clanwars.
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Sat Apr 16, 11 2:29 pm

Still think these maps may be usefull in clanwars.

Oh I agree, but I think they should put stuff back in that aren't interactable (dishes).
Last edited by James on Tue Apr 19, 11 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
James
Alpha

Postby Rödewijk » Sat Apr 16, 11 3:12 pm

well just notice these textures in this pack is stil the normal ones whats best to do if u want fps inc is repack all textures in a new package and remove its detail layer.
Rödewijk
Master

Postby James » Sat Apr 16, 11 3:17 pm

Now that's just stupid. Wouldn't that end up being bigger than the original map at the cost of it running a little better which is still not significant? Seriously the cache shouldn't matter.
James
Alpha

Postby MainMan » Sat Apr 16, 11 3:26 pm

Something to consider: one thing which makes any server hosting default maps fast, is that no one is downloading anything from it. As soon as you start adding custom maps (even if they are smaller), it's going to slow it down.

On the other hand deus ex doesnt have that many players so after a while I guess everyone will have the maps..?
<center>ty m7
</center>
MainMan
<i>Tru' Playa' Fer Defs</i>

Return to Multiplayer