CTF Conversions

All multiplayer related discussion.

Moderator: Forum Guards

CTF Conversions

Postby Shinobi » Wed Apr 20, 11 11:26 am

Hey guys.

I've been fiddling with MiniMTL222 and the CTF gametype.

I'm hosting a server for the next few hours called Shinobi's Zero Aug CTF Server. There will be a small selection of maps I have edited to make compatible with minimtl222's CTF gametype. All default maps (including Cathedral so be aware of mismatches!), one or two popular DXMP maps and some absolutely terrible maps just for good measure.

I haven't asked map authors for permission in most cases as I've seen most of these maps in many different forms on DXMP, and all I'm doing is simply adding the CTF flags, all credits remain intact. Obviously if anyone isn't happy with me doing this, I will happily stop hosting and delete my edited versions.

So far....

DXMP_Area51Bunker
DXMP_Cathedral
DXMP_CMD
DXMP_CTF_EnemyAtTheGates
DXMP_CTF_Ninja's_Sniper
DXMP_CTF_Zan-Goh
DXMP_Silo
DXMP_Smuggler

Please feel free to PM me regarding these map changes, and post any requests or suggestions here.
Last edited by Shinobi on Wed Apr 20, 11 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Shinobi
Master

Postby China » Wed Apr 20, 11 12:25 pm

Have you asked permission of the map authors?, you could always make your own versions of these maps I guess.
www.chinnysdeusexblog.wordpress.com
China
Wannabe

Postby Shinobi » Wed Apr 20, 11 12:48 pm

I haven't actually asked permission of any map authors, no. But I don't think simply adding a CTF flag and changing the name is harmful, I'm literally just adding a spawnpoint disguised as a CTF flag, nothing else.

OP EDITED
Last edited by Shinobi on Wed Apr 20, 11 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shinobi
Master

Postby China » Wed Apr 20, 11 1:47 pm

I'm going to be making some smaller maps soon and so I might have something which would suit this CTF gametype.
www.chinnysdeusexblog.wordpress.com
China
Wannabe

Postby Shinobi » Wed Apr 20, 11 1:51 pm

Tidy. Perhaps when I get a server from GD we can put together a CTF maplist
Shinobi
Master

Postby Cozmo » Thu Apr 21, 11 11:54 am

Is it litterally just adding the flags? In that case, you could add them via a mutator with map specific coordinates from a .ini without having to edit the map itself at all. No permission needed (unless mapper intentions or w/e) and saves a lot of downloading. Deja might have coded that in already though.
Cozmo_RPG (v1 & v2)
MPConversations - A tool for creating multiplayer RPG stuff
Cozmo
Master

Postby ~DJ~ » Thu Apr 21, 11 11:59 am

Yeah he has.
~DJ~
Forum Super Hero

Postby Shinobi » Sun Apr 24, 11 4:01 pm

Cozmo wrote:Is it litterally just adding the flags? In that case, you could add them via a mutator with map specific coordinates from a .ini without having to edit the map itself at all. No permission needed (unless mapper intentions or w/e) and saves a lot of downloading. Deja might have coded that in already though.

I don't know how to do that. Could someone help?

Also, server is now up including all originals and:

DXMP_CTF_Cavern
DXMP_CTF_Dressing-Room
and the ones listed above.

Server will become 24/7 in a few weeks. Maybe.
Last edited by Shinobi on Sun Apr 24, 11 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shinobi
Master

Postby Marder » Tue May 03, 11 1:34 pm

The default maps, with the exception of Cathedral, all need significant changes anyway to be balanced properly for CTF play. Removal or adding of spawns, so with the exception of Cathedral possibly, they'll have to be downloaded anyway. With that in mind, Deja made other requests for CTF server maps, to be more beginner-friendly, such as brightening the maps slightly, making them turret-heavy, making all wep racks and bot cabinets/lockers standard DXMP ones etc. Of course there's nothing stopping you guys making your own style of CTF map for different CTF servers, but those are his requirements for inclusion in the "official" (LOL) CTF server. I'm just repeating what he said.

I intended personally to credit Alpha for development in the author/motd tag bits, although I don't think he's actively claiming any actual credit himself for MiniMTL.

These are the maps that either Rody, DV or myself have done or are finishing:
CMD
Smuggler
Sector3x
A51
A51 mini
Landerneau 2
One Small Step -hardly started
Nevada
Rody made another, forget the name, wasn't a default map.
Imperator would be a good CTF map, but needs a lot of work to remove custom crap from it.

From my experience so far, I'd be prepared for more than one beta test. Flag placement is very crucial. It's best to get two players to time their runs to the flags and try to equalize that. Also bear in mind escape routes, are they fairly balanced. Take a look at the CMD map Deja edited, how he's edited the turrets/lobby/containers to make both flags equal. (The lobby is well protected and difficult to enter and perhaps hard to steal from. The containers are very unprotected, easy to enter and perhaps due to the water, easier to steal from. But if the flag was not behind a container, it would be impossible to guard. So it needs precision.)

Besides the features of MiniMTL, this flag placement and editing of default maps to balance the flag gameplay is the only real improvement I can see on CTF maps that I have played in the past. Not to the mention the blissful absence of autosniper.
Last edited by Marder on Tue May 03, 11 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marder
Poster

Postby MainMan » Tue May 03, 11 7:56 pm

nice... Landerneau... never knew that thing was still kicking around - it was a map I made a few years ago for DXAG
<center>ty m7
</center>
MainMan
<i>Tru' Playa' Fer Defs</i>

Postby Marder » Wed May 04, 11 12:54 pm

You're listed in the map as author, if you look at my site, it's listed as a MM map.

Edit: (concise) I followed your instructions and removed alot of things I did, except the Furhpark vehicles. Looks much better. The dawn shifting light actors lagged when hosted, so I've removed until someone can fix that, maybe that's possible in future.

I had one question. When you passed me Landerneau2, one end of the village wasn't finished, there was a big big subtract into the floor. Were you intending to make a canal or a basement? It looked like a canal, so I guessed that. The water tunnel was missing, so mine is not identical. Also the church was empty and I filled it with some benches and an altar. Also I don't have the original map, so can't remember the wooden market very well. If you want to supply any parts of Landerneau 1, I can add them in.

I'm just testing and fixing stuff on it right now, shall/can I pass it to you before I release? One for CTF and one for ATDM/Normal.

Also once you're happy with V2, we can remove the altfire version and replace it. Oh and thanks, I learned some very important things from working with you on it.
A bit dark, but that's my monitor. WIP shots...
EDIT: added more pics
For those of you who don't fully appreciate a Tiger smashing into the side of a house...
Vehicle on right is a Fuhrpark version of sdkfz251 Hanomag.
Last edited by Marder on Thu May 05, 11 5:22 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Marder
Poster

Postby Marder » Wed Jun 15, 11 1:30 pm

Sorry for double post but to add that Steve Newman or FaceDesigns aka Face who made DXMP_Towers has remade the map in a 2011 version, richer and more detailed with some minor gameplay changes, i.e. multiple exits etc. Had a play, very nice map, so this will be available as a aug map and CTF map.
Marder
Poster

Return to Multiplayer