Moderator: Forum Guards

IGN lay offs, Gamespy being shut down

Postby James » Fri Feb 22, 13 12:42 am

Better check if this affects DX.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Professor Layton » Fri Feb 22, 13 11:16 am

Didn't Gamespy already get split from IGN last year?

As far as I know, it's currently owned by "Glu". I don't know if that changes the situation much for the masterserver though, as they've been doing a good job at shutting down masterservers of old games.
GrandpaTerran wrote:THIS MAP HAS BEEN POSTPONED FOR NOW I'LL RE-DEVELOP WHEN I HAVE COMPLETED MY MAPPING TRAINING
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby Alex » Fri Feb 22, 13 11:41 am

Which department of GameSpy is responsible for the masterserver though? You have GameSpy Industries and GameSpy Technology, gamespy.com being GameSpy Industries.
Alex
Alpha

Postby James » Fri Feb 22, 13 12:37 pm

As far as I know in press/journalist reports they're shutting down most brands that aren't actually IGN. It woul dbe likely they'll shut down both GameSpy companies.

edit: statement from the website journalism part

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/articles/122/1227460p1.html
Last edited by James on Fri Feb 22, 13 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Alex » Fri Feb 22, 13 4:28 pm

GameSpy is still owned by IGN, GameSpy Technogy was sold to Glu in August 2012.

Actually states it here: http://uk.gamespy.com/bios/index.html
Note: GameSpy Tech is now owned and operated by GLU Mobile, and is not affiliated with GameSpy.com (confusing, we know). Please do not use the form below for technical support.

Thus only GameSpy is being shut down, not the masterserver.
Alex
Alpha

Postby Professor Layton » Fri Feb 22, 13 6:22 pm

But Glu has been known for shutting down several masterservers due to lack of payment from the publisher of those games. I guess dx masterserver will be up till whenever it has been paid for, which I don't know. Kind of doubt it will be renewed, especially with the amounts Glu has been asking lately. (over 10k pound for 'middleware' per game year, although I'm not sure if the middleware meant something else other than just a masterserver for the games that have been shut down, though. (neverwinter nights, sniper elite, etc))
GrandpaTerran wrote:THIS MAP HAS BEEN POSTPONED FOR NOW I'LL RE-DEVELOP WHEN I HAVE COMPLETED MY MAPPING TRAINING
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby -Majin- » Sun Feb 24, 13 10:58 am

Lol Yeyyy good news :)
-Majin-

Postby Shinobi » Sun Mar 03, 13 9:33 pm

^Tit.

Right then, what can we do?
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Shinobi
Master

Postby Tejas » Mon Mar 04, 13 3:03 am

who needs the master server we just enter by ip ive been waiting for this to happen
Loyalty-Honor-Respect - Cant be bought it comes from within urself.

http://66.150.214.147/stats/hlstats.php ... s&game=css
Tejas
Poster

Postby Psychotic » Mon Mar 04, 13 3:08 am

Well, it has to happen sometime, and the only people it's likely to affect are people who know how to enter via IP anyway.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Tejas » Mon Mar 04, 13 3:17 am

Log: Resolving master0.gamespy.com...
Log: Resolving master.epicgames.com...
Log: Resolving master.fragaholic.com...
miniMTL: Initalizing miniMTL loader...
Log: Resolved master0.gamespy.com (69.10.30.248)
Nephthys: 2013/03/03 20:14:10: NptServerUplink: Port 7795 successfully bound for master server master0.gamespy.com:27900
Log: AInternetLink Resolve failed: Can't find host master.epicgames.com (WSAHOST_NOT_FOUND)
ScriptLog: UdpServerUplink: Failed to resolve master server address, aborting.
Log: Resolved master.fragaholic.com (69.81.144.250)
Nephthys: 2013/03/03 20:14:10: NptServerUplink: Port 7796 successfully bound for master server master.fragaholic.com:27900
Loyalty-Honor-Respect - Cant be bought it comes from within urself.

http://66.150.214.147/stats/hlstats.php ... s&game=css
Tejas
Poster

Postby Clancy Stein » Mon Mar 04, 13 9:55 am

The last of a dying breed of Dxers will be those that log into an alternate MSL bound in their system user files. Secret game communities like this probably exist for all the old MPs that don't have visible serverlists.....
Clancy Stein
Poster

Postby ~DJ~ » Mon Mar 04, 13 3:18 pm

I thought UT99's masterserver was the same as DX and many other unreal games, so I don't really think that the masterserver will be shut down for a long time.. IT'S STILL HERE BTW
~DJ~
Forum Super Hero

Postby Psychotic » Wed Mar 06, 13 9:40 pm

Clancy Stein wrote:The last of a dying breed of Dxers will be those that log into an alternate MSL bound in their system user files. Secret game communities like this probably exist for all the old MPs that don't have visible serverlists.....

This is true. It only takes a quick Google search for your favourite game of the 90s to confirm this.

Look hard enough and you'll find a few people playing DOOM multiplayer, too.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby -HDD21- » Tue Mar 26, 13 2:09 am

I came out to say this, that as long as people want to play, there will always be a way. I actually last year tried to buy the fragaholic domain from red fire as all servers *uplink* to it by default, frustrates me the domain was just sitting, he renewed it but did sod all with it.

It would mean any new players hosting could be notified at once, and contacting the likes of VALVE for deus ex on steam to have the default config files edited for this reason? Most newcomers i saw last time i played got the game on steam anyway.

I do not play multiplayer games anymore, I am always too busy with my studies and travelling. My best friends whom i have known for a while now are long distance, but we all appreciate each other more for that. Not long split up from my boyfriend of two years. But i would have hosted a masterserver on a VPS if i could have got that domain, just because it would have given something back to the old-timers. A shame, really :( the unreal community has backup servers in the 227 patch for the same reason, i actually helped them fix a crash bug i found while experimenting with UCC which was the same as their UCC masterserver, there was a bug which could instantly crash the master server, the ucc version in DX did not have the problem, the problem was based in IPDrv. I wonder how the switch to ipv6 would affect old unreal based games?

The saying here, is enjoy what we have, while we have it and make the most of everything in life. :) I don't play DX, its a shadow of what it was and to me just seems too empty now, i play SP sometimes and am half way through the nameless mod!
Last edited by -HDD21- on Tue Mar 26, 13 2:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
-HDD21-
Wannabe

Postby Stoner420 » Tue Mar 26, 13 3:17 am

<censored>
Stoner420

Return to Multiplayer