Steam group for organising DXMP games

All multiplayer related discussion.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Steam group for organising DXMP games

Postby Paul Denton » Tue Aug 27, 13 8:06 am

A friend and I are eager to play some multiplayer DX, but the server list is barren as hell, so we've created a Steam group for setting games up. If anyone's interested, here's the link:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/dx_mp
Last edited by Paul Denton on Thu Aug 29, 13 4:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Paul Denton

Postby Psychotic » Tue Aug 27, 13 9:25 am

It might benefit you more to use the "official" one most of us here are at:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/dxmp
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Tue Aug 27, 13 9:25 am

I made it already.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/dxmp

edit: I LOST THE RACE
Last edited by James on Tue Aug 27, 13 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Paul Denton » Thu Aug 29, 13 4:07 am

I am aware of it, however that group appears to be for people who have played DXMP, not people who want to play DXMP. The purpose of my group is to arrange games, not to reminisce.
Paul Denton

Postby Psychotic » Thu Aug 29, 13 4:18 am

Paul Denton wrote:I am aware of it, however that group appears to be for people who have played DXMP, not people who want to play DXMP. The purpose of my group is to arrange games, not to reminisce.

We "reminisce" because some of us just don't want to play the game anymore. It's up to those who do to create games.

Splitting the community with numerous, meaningless Steam groups does not help. Join the chat, be active in our own community, and perhaps you'll spur interest.

You'd have to do all of this in your own group anyway, so why bother with the new one?
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby synthetic » Thu Aug 29, 13 5:53 am

I'll join it when I happen to log into Steam. Multitude of groups generally is a bit lame, but in this case I tend to agree with your reasons.

All relevant steam groups have been advertised now, so how about leaving it at that. Anyone who wishes to rant on about it could go and read the steam forums of the big DXMP group.
[TSS][¥]{¥+EoD}{RF}{MoH}[G][NEM][UE][N]{U}[REN][BM][FGS][THC][:¤:]
synthetic
Forum Hero

Postby James » Thu Aug 29, 13 10:51 am

Paul Denton wrote:I am aware of it, however that group appears to be for people who have played DXMP, not people who want to play DXMP. The purpose of my group is to arrange games, not to reminisce.

That's incorrect. I welcome anyone as clearly stated. Past or present is irrelevant.
Last edited by James on Thu Aug 29, 13 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Paul Denton » Thu Aug 29, 13 4:29 pm

Your group's scope encompasses that of mine, but that doesn't make mine redundant. I'd like to concentrate what is left of the active DXMP community in one place, that is all. I would also like to make use of the event tab to promote games.

I'll join your group if you join mine :wink:
Paul Denton

Postby James » Thu Aug 29, 13 5:17 pm

Nah, I don't want to segregate communities more than they are already. :S
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Thu Aug 29, 13 6:19 pm

Paul Denton wrote:Your group's scope encompasses that of mine, but that doesn't make mine redundant. I'd like to concentrate what is left of the active DXMP community in one place, that is all. I would also like to make use of the event tab to promote games.

Incorrect. Your group encompasses what James group has already been doing for years.

Whether it's "active" or not is subjective, and since you have not joined or tried to promote activity within our own community why should we be inclined to do the same for a group that is effectively offering the same thing?

The two can't truly work together. The original was created to bind the Steam DX community together but yours simply exists to divide it further.
Last edited by Psychotic on Thu Aug 29, 13 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Psycho » Thu Aug 29, 13 6:52 pm

We have a Skype group for playing ATDM, perhaps setting one up for whatever gametype you want to play would be a good idea.
Psycho
Forum Hero

Postby Aidan » Thu Aug 29, 13 8:21 pm

Or just use mumble because it's dirt cheap, and works a hell of a lot better. I'm sorry, but Skype is utter trash for gaming, and there's no real excuse to use for gaming with more than 2 people.

http://www.mumble-servers.com/

These guys offer 2 cents USD per slot. That's $1 USD per month for a 50 player mumble server.

Then you can organize the mumble channels based on what server/game-type people are playing.

Surely (even if everyone is REALLY fucking poor) players can donate 2 cents per month.
Last edited by Aidan on Thu Aug 29, 13 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Paul Denton » Thu Aug 29, 13 8:32 pm

Magniir wrote:Incorrect. Your group encompasses what James group has already been doing for years.

Whether it's "active" or not is subjective, and since you have not joined or tried to promote activity within our own community why should we be inclined to do the same for a group that is effectively offering the same thing?

The two can't truly work together. The original was created to bind the Steam DX community together but yours simply exists to divide it further.

My group's scope is encompassed by that of James' because it caters to a fraction of that group's target audience, namely those who still play DXMP. My group doesn't offer the same thing; James' group doesn't appear to have set up any games and, moreover, the advantage of a group specifically for people who still play DXMP is that one can invite any given member to play and reasonably expect them to be interested. I don't intend my group to be used for discussing DXMP, that would be your arena. It doesn't divide the community because the two groups perform different functions and one can belong to both.

Also, I'm sorry, but if anything is divisive it is your hostile/territorial attitude. I'm hardly trying to undermine your community, I just want to make it as convenient as possible for people to play DXMP.

Psycho wrote:We have a Skype group for playing ATDM, perhaps setting one up for whatever gametype you want to play would be a good idea.

I had considered Skype, but I decided that Steam would be more convenient. If someone doesn't use Steam then I'll consider it!
Paul Denton

Postby Aidan » Thu Aug 29, 13 9:46 pm

OKAY SO LETS LOOK AT THE FACTS...

JAMES

YOU

BASED ON THESE FACTS ALONE...

It is simply counterproductive to create another group. James' group has been around since '09, and is the only large DXMP group to date. All players know about it, and many players use it.

Making another group is arbitrary. If you already knew about the larger group, then the only reason for making your own group would be to 'have your own group.' So really, players aren't getting anything out of it. Players are being pulled away from the main DXMP community, because you wanted 'your own group.'

Of course many of us don't play DXMP anymore. It's an old game, we've all played the shit out of it, and many of us are too busy with life to play the new games coming out, AND still play DXMP. However, this doesn't mean that no one in our group plays Deus Ex...

Being Active = Subject to whether or not someone feels like playing the game. The figure of active players is not constant; It's a fluctuating variable. One who isn't active for 1 month, might be active the next 2. So on, and so forth. So to claim active members is pointless, and AGAIN counterproductive.

I'm not saying you can't make ANY group...

I'm letting you know that it's pointless to create another group of the same.

There is a known DXMP steam group. There is a known DXMP Skype group (psycho's group).

Other than those two, go crazy.
Last edited by Aidan on Thu Aug 29, 13 10:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Thu Aug 29, 13 10:12 pm

I appreciate the defense but I don't think it was worth the argument. :(
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Thu Aug 29, 13 10:17 pm

Yeah probably not.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Paul Denton » Thu Aug 29, 13 10:21 pm

Dr.Mordin wrote:It is simply counterproductive to create another group. James' group has been around since '09, and is the only large DXMP group to date. All players know about it, and many players use it.

Making another group is arbitrary. If you already knew about the larger group, then the only reason for making your own group would be to 'have your own group.' So really, players aren't getting anything out of it. Players are being pulled away from the main DXMP community, because you wanted 'your own group.'

How are they being pulled away from your group by using my group to find people to play DXMP with?

Dr.Mordin wrote:Of course many of us don't play DXMP anymore. It's an old game, we've all played the shit out of it, and many of us are too busy with life to play the new games coming out, AND still play DXMP. However, this doesn't mean that no one in our group plays Deus Ex...

Being Active = Subject to whether or not someone feels like playing the game. The figure of active players is not constant; It's a fluctuating variable. One who isn't active for 1 month, might be active the next 2. So on, and so forth. So to claim active members is pointless, and AGAIN counterproductive.

I would rather have a small group of people who get together to play every so often than a large number of people, most of which haven't played in years. I would guess that most of your members fall into the latter category.

EDIT: That is to say that "active" to me doesn't mean that you play constantly, it means that you're up to play occasionally, even if that means taking a couple of months off.
Last edited by Paul Denton on Thu Aug 29, 13 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Denton

Postby James » Thu Aug 29, 13 10:42 pm

Nothing is stopping anyone from organizing it in the group I made. I mean come on what even stopped you from asking if the group could do that? It's simply lazy to even shrug it off as in-active players when the group was clearly made was to bring in DXMP players.

But whatever this is getting out of hand. Whatever floats your boat, just don't assume. Segregating the community is lame.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Thu Aug 29, 13 10:49 pm

I'm going to make a DXMP group for Coloured players
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Thu Aug 29, 13 10:50 pm

dxmp rpg meetup group
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Fri Aug 30, 13 12:18 am

damn what happened in this topic

:-({|=
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Aidan » Fri Aug 30, 13 12:46 am

dxmp rpg group for Coloured people m8
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Paul Denton » Fri Aug 30, 13 12:50 am

James wrote:Nothing is stopping anyone from organizing it in the group I made. I mean come on what even stopped you from asking if the group could do that? It's simply lazy to even shrug it off as in-active players when the group was clearly made was to bring in DXMP players.

But whatever this is getting out of hand. Whatever floats your boat, just don't assume. Segregating the community is lame.

It's difficult to find people who still play DXMP in a group with 126 members, hence the appeal of a group for getting into contact with those still interested. Communities are flexible, they don't need to be confined to particular group or forum.

Dr.Mordin wrote:I'm going to make a DXMP group for Coloured players

James wrote:dxmp rpg meetup group

Nice, guys. I'm out.
Paul Denton

Postby Aidan » Fri Aug 30, 13 12:54 am

Paul Denton wrote:
James wrote:Nothing is stopping anyone from organizing it in the group I made. I mean come on what even stopped you from asking if the group could do that? It's simply lazy to even shrug it off as in-active players when the group was clearly made was to bring in DXMP players.

It's difficult to find people who still play DXMP in a group with 126 members, hence the appeal of a group for getting into contact with those still interested. Communities are flexible, they don't need to be confined to particular group or forum.

Dr.Mordin wrote:I'm going to make a DXMP group for Coloured players

James wrote:dxmp rpg meetup group

Nice, guys. I'm out.

Take care m8
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Fri Aug 30, 13 1:05 am

rip agenda
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby AdamJensen » Fri Aug 30, 13 1:15 am

I think OP made the right decision by creating his own group. While James group is filled with people who just sit in chat and talk, OP’s group will be playing DXMP with other people.
Therefore, that is one of the reason on why I joined Paul’s group and not James’s.

synthetic wrote:I'll join it when I happen to log into Steam. Multitude of groups generally is a bit lame, but in this case I tend to agree with your reasons.

All relevant steam groups have been advertised now, so how about leaving it at that. Anyone who wishes to rant on about it could go and read the steam forums of the big DXMP group.

If you think so, then stay away from us.
Last edited by AdamJensen on Fri Aug 30, 13 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
AdamJensen

Postby James » Fri Aug 30, 13 1:24 am

Hey look, they're elitist and lying to fit their agenda. Man who gives a fuck honestly, anyone can use my DXMP group for anything they want lol that's why anyone's welcome I just didn't want DXMP to lose touch with eachother.
Last edited by James on Fri Aug 30, 13 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby James » Fri Aug 30, 13 2:18 am

Wait Rand does the forum topics in the DXMP group offend you? Hell I was pretty disappointed no one used them but you can't disregard it if you look at the very first topic posted there that I posted.
Plus it's a dumb, recentish addition to Steam groups that's underused in general.

Seriously I am so so confused over this new group even existing.
Last edited by James on Fri Aug 30, 13 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Fri Aug 30, 13 3:11 am

James wrote:Hey look, they're elitist and lying to fit their agenda. Man who gives a fuck honestly, anyone can use my DXMP group for anything they want lol that's why anyone's welcome I just didn't want DXMP to lose touch with eachother.

This was pretty much my assumption on what the entire group was for: To fuck about like we've been doing on these forums for years (in a "live" setting).

The Steam group forums were a tad pointless for us because most of the more active members were already posting on here, so it just seemed a bit odd to start posting over there.

Thing is, as little as I go into the DXMP chat, I don't see people asking about setting up DXMP games in relation to it either on here or over there. People could use both to do so (and some do outside of the Steam group here and on other forums) but I don't see it.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Aidan » Fri Aug 30, 13 4:24 am

Nobody uses the discussion board. He could use it for active DXMP players, but he doesn't want to.

It doesn't matter to him though. I've dealt with guys like this in the past, he's a control freak. No amount of discussion will convince him that we have a better option.

HE NEEDS CONTROL.

Whatever though, I don't really give a shit.
Last edited by Aidan on Fri Aug 30, 13 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Next

Return to Multiplayer