I cba to reset passwords on another forum but

All multiplayer related discussion.

Moderator: Forum Guards

I cba to reset passwords on another forum but

Postby James » Sun Dec 14, 14 2:00 am

I'm actually planning and started on getting back into Deus Ex as a casual thing. Holy fuck you guys still love dumb ass drama rofl
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Re: I cba to reset passwords on another forum but

Postby Kaiden » Sun Dec 14, 14 3:26 am

Nice to see a lot of servers when querying Alex's MS at least, not sure how popular it gets though!
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Mon Dec 15, 14 7:29 am

Dramas wat?
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Bear » Mon Dec 15, 14 10:28 am

There's a lot of talk about cheating and who cheats etc. We could really use more players still!
Bear
Addict

Postby James » Tue Dec 16, 14 4:32 pm

Those posts are kinda obnoxious though, never really understood that forum's culture and it's a shame it's the more active one right now.

When do you guys wanna play this week btw? I can't really stay active unless I arrange it because I keep getting dragged into tons of other games.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Tue Dec 16, 14 10:34 pm

When do you guys wanna play this week btw? I can't really stay active unless I arrange it because I keep getting dragged into tons of other games.

Story of my life.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Wed Dec 17, 14 1:37 am

SR is very dumb.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Mastakilla » Thu Dec 18, 14 1:25 pm

The only reason it's the more active one is because of said drama, lol. Seems to be dieing down now though. I've been guilty of participating but I can't ignore the stupid crap some people come out with especially when all this game needs is people to actually play it, rather then argue about it.

SO YEAH, when are people hooking up? I need to get a few games in cause I got a clanwar coming up omgomgomgomg.
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Thu Dec 18, 14 1:36 pm

ddddd
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Fri Dec 19, 14 4:03 am

I'd play again. I'd have to set it up and it'll take me a long time to get used to things, since DXMP was the only competitive fps I ever got into other than TF2 and I wasn't particularly good at that.

The lag might be an issue but fuck it, that's why us Oceanic players had dem high ping techniques.

I wish Steam would auto-join group chat and retain the damn settings I select. The only reason I don't join as often is because I get too caught up in whatever else I'm playing and forget.
Psychotic
Master

Postby synthetic » Fri Dec 19, 14 7:13 pm

I am 50% of the reason there is drama, for very simple reason: game has been abandoned and some kids believe that abusing as many bugs and cheats as possible is excused under the circumstances. The specific issue is limited to a single small group of players with cheating history. Because I've waged war against that kind of mentality, the other half of drama is returned to me in the shape of various insults and fake proof threads.

If there is no drama, it would still not change the facts. Simply because some people don't know whats happening doesn't mean that they don't care when they repeatedly die in server. When they die, suddenly everybody begins to care. When some of the players don't even play the game, then of course its comfortable to spam irresponsible hippie bollocks in threads actually relevant to the activity in the game.

I remember the old clans extremely well even if I started around the time that most of them were at their deathbed. The rest I've researched due to my personal interest in history and dxmp both.

Drama aside, the second half of my post encourages everybody to play because right now classic dxmp games are surprisingly active, surprisingly technical, and feature both old vets and new generation of augers. To void any concern about cheats I recommend everybody to embrace servers that either use firefix enabled miniMTL OR newest ANNA by Alex. Once latter is properly released, it will be the best classic feel server patch as miniMTL has lot of server related things modified.

For me it is both rewarding (25%-50% of today's active augers joined my clan as 0augers, and in turn they'd teach and train their friends after moving on) and also very surprising that it is possible to even have this fun games almost exactly 14 years after DXMP release. Use your chance before its gone, imo.
[TSS][¥]{¥+EoD}{RF}{MoH}[G][NEM][UE][N]{U}[REN][BM][FGS][THC][:¤:]
synthetic
Forum Hero

Postby synthetic » Fri Dec 19, 14 7:26 pm

On the note of actual action:

1) set up COMFORTABLE keys for all augmentations + medkit, biocell, any belt item you cannot easily reach (for me 5 and onwards). It doesnt really matter what the hell you bind them to, just make sure you are comfortable with each one. Another trick is to logically place them after other games or programs you use, ie shields or functions that save your ass sharing same buttons across games

2) average skill level in every day games is surprisingly high, so in order to acclimatise properly, take your time to observe what players are doing and why they are doing it. I heartily recommend cloak as one of first augs to any rusty or new players. Preferably along with lockpicking skill upgrade and-or heavies for streakup.

3) remember classic DXMP is survival game, it sometimes allows you to rage and at times play fairly recklessly, but survival is absolutely everything. For the sake of survival you run away from fight, for its sake you set up traps and even draw a plan in your head before clicking that respawn button.

4) Its easy to forget but every map in DXMP is actually extremely important in its unique free loot locations and lockers. Basically, DXMP map determines the feel of entire game, maps here are not random deathmatch copy pasta where its new geometry and maybe textures but same old shit. No, every map is a new, unique game. Useful tip here is to remember or learn where drops are on each map, especially free ones but also locked ones.

5) if you shell (he20) people will rage. Just saying. Imo its completely fine but DXMP is a game where risks and rewards are extremely high so people will rage (and so will you) nomatter what. Shells are one of the surest ways to make sure they do (and you do). Useful tip here is to concentrate and remember you have ADS aug, or if your enemy rages then either ignore or adjust your plan to accommodate others' feelings (lol).

6) DXMP TDM is team game. Seems logical if you think about gametype's name, but it absolutely is TEAM game. It means if one team has better teamwork and strategy in place, your team can easily loose no matter how strong someone in your team thinks he is. Sometimes you can even get hopelessly destroyed simply because team balance is such, not because youre hopeless player. So learn to distinguish between individual skill and between what is team BALANCE. Understanding this also allows to minimize the frustration of loss.

7) For best performance on new pcs, use Kentie's exe and renderer both. Ive set up an installer (link) that should install MTL, exe patch, d3d10 renderer, and shortcuts to run DXMP with old ini file location. Basically if you have problems with errors youre either missing one of the vb runtimes listed on Kentie's website, or youre trying to run game online with guifix, or youre having problems with new cache folder permissions and could try fix it by launching game with -localdata parameter in target field. All this also works in Steam. For this installer you'll need at least winVista or newer, and directx10 or better graphics card. Its possible the installer only works for win7 64 bit tho but all this can be set up manually just the same.
synthetic
Forum Hero

Postby James » Sat Dec 20, 14 2:58 pm

tfw newbies don't even know who i am, not that they should but everyone thinks im solid or alex
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Bear » Sat Dec 20, 14 7:03 pm

Think its because of your ping, I assume you get around the same as those two.
Bear
Addict

Postby synthetic » Sun Dec 21, 14 4:46 pm

Since I've reinstalled windows and dx quite a few times this year - and at times even lost my ini settings or wanted separate installations with altering binds - I can try form a shorter post of what I'd do in order to play dxmp from zero:

I'd put on mood music, install game - likely from steam or gog or goty download. I'd use the crapinstaller I threw together, OR start frantically googling kenties page, mtl installer, masterserver installer. On steam I'd rclick game in lib and add -localdata launch parameter.

Now I got stuff setup to work and down to settings. I start game up, quickly set FOV, reso, sound latency if i get crackling. If you have no idea what fov is use autofov or 110-120 for pro default. I'd personally also check the rawinput there. hud scale mod option crashes mp game so dont select it. Renderer selected direct3D10 by kentie obviously.

I go to some quiet server (or just sit on logo screen) and start typing binds in, canging them if im unhappy about results. Obviously, some BTDM server would work perfect, or host nondedicated for yourself.

Now I'd just type in where i want some function or other, shields i use c v z x etc in other games too so i bind emp shield nrg shield and such there.. bally and ads to r and q.. speed to e. Following is how I like to set it up, more or less. Note that you can easily type in ¦ while ingame.. thus joining several augs or functions.

Code: Select all
bindkey F1 BuySkills|ActivateBelt 1|OnRelease ActivateBelt 1
bindkey F2 BuySkills|ActivateBelt 2|OnRelease ActivateBelt 2
bindkey F3 BuySkills|ActivateBelt 3|OnRelease ActivateBelt 3
bindkey F4 BuySkills|ActivateBelt 4|OnRelease ActivateBelt 4
bindkey SingleQuote DeactivateAllAugs
bindkey 1 activatebelt 1
bindkey 2 activatebelt 2
bindkey 3 activatebelt 3
bindkey 4 ActivateBelt 4
bindkey 5 buyskills|activatebelt 5
bindkey 6 buyskills|activatebelt 6
bindkey 7 buyskills|activatebelt 7
bindkey 8 buyskills|activatebelt 8
bindkey 9 BuySkills|ActivateBelt 9|OnRelease ActivateBelt 9
bindkey 0 BuySkills|ActivateBelt 0|OnRelease ActivateBelt 0
bindkey backspace mutate mapvote
bindkey tab switchammo
bindkey q dualmapf6
bindkey e dualmapf7
bindkey r dualmapf9
bindkey t activatebelt 7
bindkey capslock either like vision aug or switchammo
bindkey f activatebelt 9|onrelease parseleftclick
bindkey g activatebelt 6
bindkey shift duck
bindkey JoyZ dualmapf12
bindkey z dualmapf5
bindkey x dualmapf4
bindkey c dualmapf3
bindkey v dualmapf11
bindkey n dualmapf8
bindkey m dualmapf10
bindkey comma Stat Net|Stat FPS
bindkey ctrl activatebelt 8
bindkey alt activatebelt 0
bindkey space jump
bindkey p ping
bindkey h activatebelt 5
bindkey L DropItem
bindkey RightMouse ToggleScope
bindkey MouseWheelDown parserightclick
bindkey MouseWheelUp parserightclick
bindkey NumPad6 TeamTalk
bindkey NumPad3 Talk
bindkey NumPadPeriod FeignDeath
bindkey Enter showscores
bindkey UnknownDF DeactivateAllAugs

and then i just play and if i dont like something i quickly type in bindkey command. In game I use all grenades, prioritize lockpicking and main weapon skill, and if I dont like dying much I go for cloak.. remember having 0% bio is pretty much like having 0% health. So you probably want to do something about that with your movement and upgrade choices. bio=health. Surprisingly or not, something like atdm works out like adventure and exploration game where last thing you want to do is run into stronger enemy or -even worse - whole team of them. So you definitely want to think first WHERE exactly youre going and how.
synthetic
Forum Hero

Postby synthetic » Tue Dec 23, 14 10:44 am

Couple things I've noticed very recently:

1) if your kentie's exe is not saving your fov, fps etc settings, change them manually from ini file under the renderer block (or do it in game with preferences). Friend of mine for some reason couldn't get values to stick no matter what even though ini edits did save for the new Deusexe block (but didnt for D3D10drv).

2) There are 5 clans with an average 4 active members each in atdm right now! This is a very recent development and completely phenomenal. FGS and Alpha have around 0-2 active members and even that is great news.

3) Currently it seems no admins are interested in enabling firefix so choose server and playing strategy accordingly. Easy way to test your server is by setting fps cap to 300 in 'preferences' command and see what effect it has in game. Fixed server either shows DT value (ANNA) or caps fps to 150 (miniMTL), or in certain cases bugs you up so you float in air (miniMTL).

edit
4) If you get stutters in some specific servers with movement and such, and have applied all fixes to game already, then try setting netspeed to 10000 (or 9000 or somesuch). Command for that is NETSPEED 9000 and to check current netspeed the command is STATNET which toggles it on and off both. Note that such a server might reset your netspeed to 10k even if you change it to 9k, which shouldnt be a major issue.. I experienced stutters mainly with 20 000 netspeed.
On the other hand, having something like 2400 netspeed will lag you, especially in some servers. It (extremely low netspeed) can also double your ping in some circumstances.
synthetic
Forum Hero

Return to Multiplayer