What we know so far

Discussion about the prequel by Square Enix.

Moderator: Forum Guards

What we know so far

Postby James » Thu Nov 29, 07 12:37 am

I'll like to start off with something I took from 4chan:

Here's what we know about Deus Ex 3:

*it's shaping up like it might be a prequel, as images in the teaser set it in 2027, long before Deus Ex 1 (2052)
*Worth noting is at one point Warren Spector conceived a concept for DX3 that was essentially a prequel to DX1
*It looks like many of the Montreal people HAVE played and praise DX1
*Montreal wants to mend bridges with DX1 players while "also giving the game a broader appeal."
*Eidos Montreal is hosting an open house on December 1st

And that's all we know at the moment.

References:
-http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118287
-http://eidosmontreal.com/
Last edited by James on Thu Nov 29, 07 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Tonnochi » Thu Nov 29, 07 12:58 am

Deus Ex was in 2054, and the trailer wasn't set in 2027, there was only one picture. I think it was a flashback.
Tonnochi
Forum Hero

Postby James » Thu Nov 29, 07 12:59 am

He said a picture(s) set in 2027, NOT the entire trailer

Also, it is blooming 2052.
Last edited by James on Thu Nov 29, 07 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Mr. Tastix » Thu Nov 29, 07 1:04 am

2052-2054, really. However there are many notations in the first game for the year to be 2054. Also, the one picture may not mean it's a prequel, note that. It could be, but it might not be.
Blood is thicker than water and sweeter than candy.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby James » Thu Nov 29, 07 1:05 am

Aye but many people have speculated this, such as here.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Mr. Tastix » Thu Nov 29, 07 1:13 am

Isn't that what this topic is for? XD
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby Tonnochi » Thu Nov 29, 07 1:34 am

Back to Deus Ex 3.

Don't forget about Invisible War. I would absolutely hate for them to forget IWar. Let's start dishing out the facts on IWar for now.

IWar takes place in 2072 (which it is specifically noted in IWar that it is 20 years after The Collapse. And seeing that Deus Ex takes place in a week, you're right.)

With the endings of IWar, chances are its a prequel. Dammit.
Tonnochi
Forum Hero

Postby VodunLoas » Thu Nov 29, 07 1:57 am

Ok you think JC was released as an adult or kid from his tank?
Also, if JC is a clone of Paul, why does Paul bare the same nanotech which seems you start off on it as a fetus?
VodunLoas
Alpha

Postby James » Thu Nov 29, 07 1:59 am

I'd love the prequel, I stated otherwise in May but now that I think about it, alot of things happened before DX1. And the dreams of being a mechanical augmented agent where customization makes you appear less human and more robotic makes me cream.

From "Engine?" topic:

~Psychotic~ wrote:There is a lot I'd like to know about the history of DX, but really in the end, only Warren Spector really knows.

He had in mind if ever a DX3, he had it in mind to be a prequel to DX1.

From "TEASER TRAILER"

Like I said, could be the beginning of it all. We were TOLD that JC and Paul were the first - they THOUGHT they were. In truth, they mat not be.

If this is a prequel, does it mean we can't kill Page? DAMN!

I will answer the JC and Paul idea next.

Man, I know the feeling.

Was JC released as a kid or an adult, and how would he have any knowledge if he was released as the adult?

Also if JC is a clone of Paul, then why does paul have the same nano features, that would seem you need to be started from a fetus.

This is all covered in the DX bible, JC is like you stated confirmed to be a clown of Paul, Paul had a family but was also lied to by the NSF that both JC and him are clones, to ensure his decision.
Paul was augmented in his adult stages IIRC, JC was already augmented but memory was implanted that he got augmented too in his adult stage.
I think that its safe to say that Paul was told he had a brother who was living somewhere else, and memories implanted into each of knowing each other, infact at the docks at the beginning of the game is the only time you can be sure they've met eachother, prehaps even for the first time.

Deus Ex is fucked up.
Last edited by James on Thu Nov 29, 07 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Mr. Tastix » Thu Nov 29, 07 2:07 am

Lol. Yes, yes it is. I'll be pissed if it is a prequel only because we can't kill Page... the bastard.

EDIT: Also, if JC was an adult as an Aug, he could have easily had his memory altered. As you said.
Last edited by Mr. Tastix on Thu Nov 29, 07 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby Tonnochi » Thu Nov 29, 07 2:13 am

AquaShock wrote:Also, if JC is a clone of Paul, why does Paul bare the same nanotech which seems you start off on it as a fetus?

The only quote that I can cite towards this matter is when JC is talking to Morpheus.

"I'm engineered. So what? My brother and I expected as much while we were growing up."

Of course, he could mean he and Paul suspected that only JC was engineered. But the strongest evidence is in the beginning cinematic when Page and Simons refer to JC and Paul as "units". They were obviously using Paul as the pet project, but then when they were ready to move on, they cloned the primary.

To be off-topic for a second, I am so happy that we can have the same intelligent speculation as PDX.
Tonnochi
Forum Hero

Postby Mr. Tastix » Thu Nov 29, 07 2:18 am

"I'm engineered. So what? My brother and I expected as much while we were growing up." - Morephus pwns, actually, that whole areac pwns. Anyways, growing up, eh? That could be another altered memory.

They were basically TOLD to have "memories" of their "growing up." But note we're only thinking of this cos of DX3. This may never have been contemplated on by Spector.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby James » Thu Nov 29, 07 2:27 am

The Amory Wars actually borrows alot from Deus Ex.
Those unfamilar with the story, there is a family called the Kilgannons, the parents being a couple named Coheed and Cambria.
Coheed has a brother called Jesse, one day, he is stopped by a man who is basically a general of the army. He wants to discuss important matters.

General: "Mr. Kilgannon, when was the last time you saw your brother?"
Coheed: "Jesse? I couldn't tell you how long its been."
G "The Truth is, you've NEVER seen your "brother". Sir, forty-two years ago in responce to the mage wars. a Dr. Leonard Hohenberger created a anti-terrorist unit called K.B.I.--"

Starting to sound familar?
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Mr. Tastix » Thu Nov 29, 07 2:35 am

Rofl. WTF?
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby VodunLoas » Thu Nov 29, 07 11:44 am

Start reading at the bottom where it says 'JC and Paul Denton -- A Detailed Biography' and continue on a few pages, good stuff to know!
http://archive.gamespy.com/articles/apr ... ndex2.shtm

An interesting part says "Shortly after J.C. was born, scientists invented an incubator that could bring a clone to term from the embryonic stage. The number of clones available for experiments grew dramatically, and the doctors could now perform their experiments with "control" clones. The pace of progress increased."

Now that looked like an incubator with a fetus in it on the Teaser Trailer.
Last edited by VodunLoas on Thu Nov 29, 07 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
VodunLoas
Alpha

Postby Mr. Tastix » Thu Nov 29, 07 11:47 am

Yeah, I've read some of that bible.

Question: Who wrote this so-called DX Bible and where do they get their information from?
Last edited by Mr. Tastix on Thu Nov 29, 07 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby James » Thu Nov 29, 07 11:56 am

It was donated to Gamespy by The Deus Ex team, as it is their collab. :)
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Mr. Tastix » Thu Nov 29, 07 12:06 pm

It's incredibly interesting. Especially the part how MJ12 made many clones of Paul and yet, in the end, they kept only one - JC. And the fact Paul never found out? If this were real, I'd probably be one of the many people with a sign saying "No Augs" if I knew anything about it. For fairly good reason too.

EDIT: Paul was born around 2018 according to the bible, if JC is 11 years younger. That would make him 9 years old in 2027.
Last edited by Mr. Tastix on Thu Nov 29, 07 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby James » Thu Nov 29, 07 12:11 pm

Of course, however Paul used his free will and survived because of his brother, who also had free will except he was intended to obey and be a puppet. In the end, JC has a choice of who will he be the puppet to, he chooses Helios, a mutual benefit and to find another purpose in his life, what he was made for.
Even if artificial and engineered by scientists playing God, will he still follow God's law and creation? I think so, which explains the title of the game.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby VodunLoas » Thu Nov 29, 07 12:22 pm

More info from DXBible:

Defining Humanity

There are no more significant racial divisions, a good thing, but this is far from a utopian world where all men are created equal. In addition to economic divisions, there are divisions among men based on augmentation. Specifically, the totally human of this world look down their noses at those who have been mechanically augmented.

Despite the effectiveness, and in some cases, the necessity of body modification, augmented humans are considered monsters. They look like primitive Borg and are widely feared by humans. The nano-augmented characters (like the player) are the first augmented humans who can "pass." To look at one, you might not even notice he or she is not a full human. This creates a tension among the three types of humans:

* Total humans consider themselves purse and are at the top of the heap. They need augmented humans but fear and distrust them. Most total humans don't even know nano-augmented humans exist.

* Mechanically augmented humans have their own airport security systems and have to register with government authorities. They are second-class citizens, looked down upon even by the non-augmented poor. There's no way a mechanically augmented human can pass for normal for very long. They're not allowed in certain locations and have separate facilities, ostensibly tailored to their unique needs but really as a way of controlling them.

* Nano-augmented humans are resented by their mechanically augmented brothers and sisters. They're as powerful as mechanically augmented humans but suffer none of the stigma associated with augmentation. They can pass through airport security and mingle with humans freely.
Last edited by VodunLoas on Thu Nov 29, 07 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VodunLoas
Alpha

Postby Mr. Tastix » Thu Nov 29, 07 12:28 pm

Just read that, lol. I'm onto Part 3.

EDIT: You know, A LOT of Deus Ex revolves around religion and greek mythology (just look at the four AI; Morpheus, Daedalus, Icarus and Helios). Then look at the DX3 trailer at the reference to sections of the Decalogue.

Why so much interest in religion and greek?
Last edited by Mr. Tastix on Thu Nov 29, 07 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby Siva » Thu Nov 29, 07 1:16 pm

Deus Ex Machina means "intervention of the gods". or something like that.

And I suppose, on quite a few levels, the game itself plays out like a Greek Philosophy.
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby James » Thu Nov 29, 07 1:18 pm

God from the machine yes, but I've heard the intervention thing before.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Mr. Tastix » Thu Nov 29, 07 1:28 pm

I am not saying DX plays out like greek philosophy. I'm just saying how much fucking references TO greek philosophy it HAS. Jesus fucking christ...
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby James » Thu Nov 29, 07 1:29 pm

Yeah theres alot, of course theres the whole Jesus Christ Denton thing, even referenced in the game itself.

Manderly:
"Jesus CHRIST Denton!"
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Mr. Tastix » Thu Nov 29, 07 1:51 pm

LOL. But that's in a much different context. Not as in "Hi, Jesus Christ Denton." but as in "Jesus CHRIST Denton, what the fuck?!"
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby James » Thu Nov 29, 07 1:52 pm

hehehe, its always been implied that the initials are what you imagine them to be, but obviously they meant Jesus Christ because of the whole God thing.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby VodunLoas » Thu Nov 29, 07 1:58 pm

In the DX Bible it says JC was an embryo placed in Paul's mother because she wanted another baby but couldn't because of some problems. Well the point is, why is there a tank for JC in DX1, if he was born out of Paul's Mother? They didn't make them incubators until after JC was born says the DX Bible!?
VodunLoas
Alpha

Postby Siva » Thu Nov 29, 07 2:01 pm

~Psychotic~ wrote:I am not saying DX plays out like greek philosophy. I'm just saying how much fucking references TO greek philosophy it HAS. Jesus fucking christ...

AND I WAS SAYING BECAUSE IT HAS SO MANY REFERENCES TO A GREEK PHILOSOPHY, ONE COULD SEE ON A DIFFERENT WAVELENGTH THAT DEUS EX IS A CARICATURE OF REAL LIFE BASED ON PHILOSOPHIES PERPETUATED BY CERTAIN GREEK PHILOSOPHERS.
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby James » Thu Nov 29, 07 2:02 pm

I could guess its just there as the final revelation, and it was actually where he was created as a embryo of course, maybe he got taken there unconscious for his augmentation operation too.

It could be anything really.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Next

Return to Deus Ex: Human Revolution