Deus Ex 3 to Use Tomb Raider Legend Engine

Discussion about the prequel by Square Enix.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Postby ~SaSQuAtCH~ » Sat Dec 01, 07 3:07 pm

Why the crying? They will probably modify the engine a lot as they did to unreal engine when creating DX. Don't forget about DirectX 10 either and yea they might change their mind anyway. One more thing: DX is coming out in 3 or 4 years so they have lots of time to make the game awesome. Just be positive.
~SaSQuAtCH~
Master

Postby Tonnochi » Sat Dec 01, 07 3:29 pm

XII//:Protocol wrote:
~Psychotic~ wrote:Unreal would've been the way to go. But, in 2009-2010 they may change their mind. It wouldn't be the first time a game has changed it's engine in the middle of production. Ion Storm Dallas done it with Daikatana. I won't be surprised if Eidos Montreal do it too.

Deus Ex 3 is the new Duke Nukem Forever.

"Yeah guys, we're changing engines, don't worry, this will NOT AFFECT THE RELEASE DATE".

"Release date's been pushed back. Have a Christmas card."

Then the website is deleted.

Bring on the pain.
Tonnochi
Forum Hero

Postby Mr. Tastix » Sat Dec 01, 07 4:00 pm

No pain no gain... In all honesty though, I hope they don't change the engine halfway through lol. That's WHY games like Daikatana fucked up.
Last edited by Mr. Tastix on Sat Dec 01, 07 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blood is thicker than water and sweeter than candy.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby Mr. Tastix » Sat Dec 01, 07 5:53 pm

Fuck you. I'd rather they make a crap one than say they are making one and not go ahead with it. It can't kill the DX community anymore. Besides, DEUS EX SHALL NEVER DIE ONLY IT'S PLAYERS!
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby Legion » Sat Dec 01, 07 6:17 pm

After reading this, I must say most ot those who posted in this topic are fucking pathetic. WHO CARES WHAT ENGINE THEY ARE USING! Tomb Raider was a fairly good game.. Or at least the original, I haven't played the others. My Pimary concern was with their trailer.. Or lack there of. It was anything but impressive.. I mean seriously, how much did it cost them to make that? a penny? I could do better blindfolded. The other concern is how vague they were on the game. It said nothing about dx3... It was just dx themed.. but it wasn't very informative. MultiPlayer and mapping is my big concern. I hope they don't screw up like they did on DXIW. But rather than facing the real concerns, you guys are moping about what fucking engine it's going to be on, or how Might look or sound. I mean good grief.. It's going to take years to finish the game, give the people a break, It's sad when even the creators of this game aren't spared from the drunken rants of this community.
Death is often silent... But I Prefer making it loud and bloody.
CHECK OUT MY RADIO STATION: http://eternalnights.listen2myradio.com/
http://www.erepublik.com/en/referrer/Venom637
Legion
Regular

Postby Alex » Sat Dec 01, 07 6:22 pm

Legion wrote:After reading this, I must say most ot those who posted in this topic are fucking pathetic. WHO CARES WHAT ENGINE THEY ARE USING! Tomb Raider was a fairly good game.. Or at least the original, I haven't played the others. My Pimary concern was with their trailer.. Or lack there of. It was anything but impressive.. I mean seriously, how much did it cost them to make that? a penny? I could do better blindfolded. The other concern is how vague they were on the game. It said nothing about dx3... It was just dx themed.. but it wasn't very informative. MultiPlayer and mapping is my big concern. I hope they don't screw up like they did on DXIW. But rather than facing the real concerns, you guys are moping about what fucking engine it's going to be on, or how Might look or sound. I mean good grief.. It's going to take years to finish the game, give the people a break, It's sad when even the creators of this game aren't spared from the drunken rants of this community.

Unreal Script. Unreal Editor. Editing Options.
Or even better: MultiPlayer.

Those things, might not be available, because they use that engine.
Alex
Alpha

Postby Kaiden » Sat Dec 01, 07 6:53 pm

Indeed, and as [A] are a modding community, we might be quite limited within DX3 community. :roll:
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby kBo » Sat Dec 01, 07 6:55 pm

Then learn a new language and stop whining. Real programmers do it all the time if it needs to be done. ;)
"Phreaking doesn't exist. It's an abstract concept that is blindly supported by the collective consciousness of a flakey subculture. You saw nothing."
kBo
Master

Postby Baleout » Sat Dec 01, 07 7:05 pm

WHO CARES WHAT ENGINE THEY ARE USING! Tomb Raider was a fairly good game.. Or at least the original, I haven't played the others.

The other Tomb Raiders are good if you like their sort of gameplay, but Legends was pretty bad.
Baleout
Master

Postby Alex » Sat Dec 01, 07 7:09 pm

kBo wrote:Then learn a new language and stop whining. Real programmers do it all the time if it needs to be done. ;)

No thanks, 9 languages is enough for me at the moment.
Alex
Alpha

Postby Baleout » Sat Dec 01, 07 7:14 pm

That is only if they release an SDK anyway.
Baleout
Master

Postby James » Sat Dec 01, 07 8:22 pm

Legion wrote:After reading this, I must say most ot those who posted in this topic are fucking pathetic. WHO CARES WHAT ENGINE THEY ARE USING! Tomb Raider was a fairly good game.. Or at least the original, I haven't played the others. My Pimary concern was with their trailer.. Or lack there of. It was anything but impressive.. I mean seriously, how much did it cost them to make that? a penny? I could do better blindfolded. The other concern is how vague they were on the game. It said nothing about dx3... It was just dx themed.. but it wasn't very informative. MultiPlayer and mapping is my big concern. I hope they don't screw up like they did on DXIW. But rather than facing the real concerns, you guys are moping about what fucking engine it's going to be on, or how Might look or sound. I mean good grief.. It's going to take years to finish the game, give the people a break, It's sad when even the creators of this game aren't spared from the drunken rants of this community.

Limitations of a engine.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Tonnochi » Sat Dec 01, 07 8:40 pm

Plus, I want the same in-game language.
Tonnochi
Forum Hero

Postby Baleout » Sat Dec 01, 07 9:53 pm

..? You mean coding language?
Baleout
Master

Postby Tonnochi » Sat Dec 01, 07 10:17 pm

admin set guntherhermann binvincible false, etc.
Tonnochi
Forum Hero

Postby kBo » Sat Dec 01, 07 10:35 pm

That's just the setting of variables, not really a language. Any modern engine will have similar capabilities. Plus, even if they made it with Unreal, the commands probably wouldn't be exactly the same.
"Phreaking doesn't exist. It's an abstract concept that is blindly supported by the collective consciousness of a flakey subculture. You saw nothing."
kBo
Master

Postby clyzm » Sat Dec 01, 07 10:48 pm

LOL, they could use the Quake engine for all I care, I'm still going to try it out. 8)
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Tonnochi » Sat Dec 01, 07 10:53 pm

We will ALL try it out.
Tonnochi
Forum Hero

Postby Tonnochi » Sun Dec 02, 07 5:19 am

Looked it up. Tomb Raider: Legends is multiplayer!

http://pgrevolution.com/2006/02/07/tomb-raider-legend-multiplayer-info/

FOR PSP! YAY!
Tonnochi
Forum Hero

Postby Mr. Tastix » Sun Dec 02, 07 8:09 am

Well, that's the main thing. So fucking-a!
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby James » Sun Dec 02, 07 11:25 am

cataclyzm wrote:At least I don't call it shite because of Invisible War on a console system, buddy. 8)

Someone is abit cranky.

And everyone hates DXIW because it was developed for a console and the changes favored the console version, which didn't work good anyway. :? Anyone can tell you that.

Oh believe me, you will all play it, enjoy it, we may not.

Lets not be too quick, they might be very good at working with this engine, and we still got that talk soon.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Mr. Tastix » Sun Dec 02, 07 11:38 am

I like DXIW so shut up about DXIW. This is about DX3 which will pwn. It fucking better... At least I have some faith, even if none of you do.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby James » Sun Dec 02, 07 11:43 am

I like DXIW's story, not gameplay, the gameplay was spoiled by consoles. That is a fact, universal ammo, limited inventory, multitools and lockpicks are the same thing because some idiot from the office upstairs thinks the thing is too hard for gamers, who think the target audience are still actually in their teens. To be honest, they should of just added the bulky menu. KOTOR and from what I know DX1 console versions weren't afraid to do it.
Last edited by James on Sun Dec 02, 07 11:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Tonnochi » Sun Dec 02, 07 2:35 pm

WTF teens? You need to be 17 to buy the game -.-
Tonnochi
Forum Hero

Postby Mr. Tastix » Sun Dec 02, 07 2:53 pm

KotOR had a huge-ass menu. I like it because my fave game developer made it and because it simply is just a good game.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby James » Sun Dec 02, 07 3:17 pm

[FGS]Zeitgeist wrote:WTF teens? You need to be 17 to buy the game -.-

Yeah, but it doesn't redeem the fact they dumb them down for kids and casual players.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Sun Dec 02, 07 9:32 pm

I'm trying to have a heated debate here while you ramble on and on about warnings, trying to make me lose track of the topic.

So tell me, what signs are there that DX: IW had? Swapped engines or being on a console? I'd really like to know. ;)
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby James » Sun Dec 02, 07 9:34 pm

Radical development changes, so far.

It has the successor engine used in Snowblind which is also naff too.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Sun Dec 02, 07 9:39 pm

Well it was a dumb move to not use Unreal Engine 3, but maybe they didn't have rights to the engine or something? Perhaps they were forced to use whatever was available, at this time it was the Tomb Raider one.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby James » Sun Dec 02, 07 9:41 pm

They can easily buy it, if they're producing a AAA game they wouldn't worry about purchasing a license, but they're either promoting Crystal's engine or saving money.

The only positive thing I saw was already discussed, the fact that they have experience in this language but someone pointed out that it won't be hard to learn another, but someone else disagrees.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

PreviousNext

Return to Deus Ex: Human Revolution