STOP THE FUCKAN PRESSES. NEW INFORMATION.

Discussion about the prequel by Square Enix.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Postby Dae » Wed Nov 19, 08 12:33 pm

Everyone taks about disadvantages, possible failures, mistakes, it's all pretty obvious.

Let's try to find some positive aspects. As for me, I like the style and fashion of the concepts.
Dae
Alpha

Postby Siva » Wed Nov 19, 08 2:17 pm

Deus Ex with actual physics has some potential in my eyes
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby MrBlackDX » Wed Nov 19, 08 9:19 pm

I like the fact it's a prequel, especially since they are exploring mechanical augmentations, which are somewhat of a "myth" in Deus Ex 1

One of the developers or whoever, said something like "Deus Ex 1's augmentations were stat buffers, they rarely gave anything visually extra to state that they were active"

A fanboy (and my personal opinion) point of view, would be to defend DX1 augs because they are nano-augmentation, an arm, a leg or the cranium or any other part of anatomy would not physically change to represent the augmentation being active, because the nano-augs enhance the body physically, with no change required.

This point however, gives a want to have mechanical augmentations physically change the body, blades and guns grafted into arms, assistance in jumping off buildings

What I have to say I am worried about is the gimmicky quality certain mech-augs will give, like the multi-kill one especially.

They will have to make a concious decision on whether or not "boss" type humanoid characters will be affected by this aug.

They will have to find a way to compensate this aug by restricting it, whats stopping a player from using it on every group of enemies he meets

Or the other side, where on locating/installing this aug, you are given a tutorial style opportunity on how to use it, but the player quickly finds that using it is a waste, it may require 75% or above bio, or you will take too much damage by the time you reach your targets, or in a group of 4, it only kills 3, and so leaves you open to death via the 4th.

The punch through walls aug HAS to be well implemented, which means clever use of the vision aug (good mapping/level design), and a very good reason to use it (lets face it punching through a wall isn't a quiet activity)

The tentacle bungee, ill stop right here to state that there is no reason to dislike this concept because of the phrase "tentacle", i personally like tentacle hentai...

THERE I SAID IT, HAPPY

But seriously, you have to remember that the augs are MECHANICAL, not nano, and therefore need a physical explanation. An equivalent speed aug (which catered for soft landings), but in a mechanical sense would require either a parachute, jelly or spring feet, or your feet to be comprised of a complete metallic/stone structure, which in turn would then need your shins to have the same components, and then your thighs, pelvis (you see what im getting at here)

A mechanical explanation for jumping off a building, designed as a bungee jump (although tentacle related), is perfectly fine.

But again I will stress the requirement to not make it gimmicky, the only two times in DX where I felt compelled to jump off high buildings and break my fall via the speed aug was at Jocks apartment (i likes exploring) and Vandenburg
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Postby clyzm » Wed Nov 19, 08 10:31 pm

Looking forward to the weapons. And their upgrade ability.

The style is awesome too.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Tonnochi » Thu Nov 20, 08 6:08 am

Now taking bets on Adam Jensen not having a voice actor.
Tonnochi
Forum Hero

Postby Siva » Thu Nov 20, 08 10:49 am

If an aug has the potential to be that game breaking when it's used against a boss character (like Walton Simons for example) then there is something wrong with the game. Simply just disabling it is the cheap way out. Rockets (not an aug I know but still) had the potential to 1 hit kill everyone in the game. The solution? Give Walton Simons ADS. Logical and kept the battle dynamic.
//..
Siva

Postby Shinobi » Fri Dec 12, 08 10:29 pm

Hmmmm....... in my opinion there is only one reason why DX3 will DEFINITELY be a shit game:

No Multiplayer.

Everything else at least has the potential to be acceptable, or even great, but the fact that DX3 will not have multiplayer is more than enough for me to even avoid buying it.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Shinobi
Master

Postby Siva » Sat Dec 13, 08 12:19 am

Who confirmed that
//..
Siva

Postby MrBlackDX » Sat Dec 13, 08 12:26 am

Deus Ex 3 with no multi-player has not been confirmed, it's just been hinted by members of Eidos Montreal.

They don't want to go down that route.

I think it would be a big mistake, games need multiplayer to boost their longevity.

A standard practice of playing a game for a long period of time is to play the single player, complete the single player, then play the multi.

If the multi is good then you will continue to play the multi, and if the single was good then you will play it now and again.

But if there is no multi, you won't necessarily go back to the single as much? Why? Because the multi reminds you of aspects which were good in single, and therefore almost "hints" at you to play the single player again, multiplayer is a constant reminder that the singleplayer is good
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Postby James » Sat Dec 13, 08 12:39 am

I'm all for them not making MP, sorry but it just adds to the single player experience. They're going to be limited to the Xbox disc anyway.

Some games didn't have MP ever, such as Fallout, 9 years after Fallout 2 got a MMO style mod made by the Russians which I hope they finish. People still went back to it, and it gained a huge cult following even if it didn't sell well.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Mr. Tastix » Sat Dec 13, 08 3:32 am

James wrote:I'm all for them not making MP, sorry but it just adds to the single player experience. They're going to be limited to the Xbox disc anyway.

I disagree with this because I also believe multiplayer can lead to the longevity of a game. I prefer singleplayer over multiplayer but I still like something to do after I've beaten a game.
Blood is thicker than water and sweeter than candy.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby James » Sat Dec 13, 08 10:45 am

I'd rather have a solid game, most games on Xbox with a multiplayer have 4-6 hours of gameplay
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Mr. Tastix » Sat Dec 13, 08 12:05 pm

James wrote:I'd rather have a solid game, most games on Xbox with a multiplayer have 4-6 hours of gameplay

And I'd rather have the option. I, like the majority of people, would prefer to at least have the choice of playing singleplayer or multiplayer over not having such a choice at all.

It doesn't matter if it's only 6 hours of gameplay, to those who enjoy multiplayer it would be much longer than that. And clearly the majority of people want more multiplayer games than singleplayer, at the moment.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby James » Sat Dec 13, 08 12:16 pm

But Deus Ex isn't about multiplayer, you should know that. A 6 hour Deus Ex would be worse than Invisible War.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Spiderbot01 » Sat Dec 13, 08 12:29 pm

Since when was DXMP good?

So why would DX3MP be good?
<center>------</center><center>
Image</center>
<center>Image</center><
Spiderbot01
Alpha

Postby Dae » Sat Dec 13, 08 12:40 pm

I tend to agree with James.

Deus Ex multiplayer was made because there was a relatively easy possibility of making it. Deus Ex runs on a slightly modified UT engine, and there was all of the UT net-code preserved. Not many people know that it all started from a fan project which was later supported by Ion Storm. I think it wasn't even planned.

The times were different. Now, fans will demand a SDK, support, bug fixes, anticheat protection, updates and so on. (Or at least, this is how corporate marketers and managers think).

First and foremost Deus Ex is a singleplayer. A real gift to the fan-community — besides awesome game itself — would be a SDK. Besides mods, making of a multiplayer for a good game would be a matter of time with it.
Dae
Alpha

Postby MrBlackDX » Sat Dec 13, 08 12:43 pm

[A]ENKIDUDU wrote:Since when was DXMP good?

So why would DX3MP be good?

Woah woah

If DXMP wasn't good that why the hell have people stuck around on DXMP for a LONG period of time

DXMP is good because it attracted all of the types of people who enjoyed SP, and because SP only fits a certain criteria of people (people who enjoy FPS, RPGs, intellectual level of story, science fiction and anyone who previously liked the system shocks), it allowed for a mostly great community.

Using AUGs in a multiplayer game was probably originally done in DXMP, I can't think of a game where a similar thing was ever done. DXMP was also moddable to an extent, allowing for custom gametypes (such as 0aug), where 0aug didn't have such a steep learning curve for new players.

Finally, DX is part RPG, and DXMP with maps such as FunlineUnlimitedParty, started to spawn this multiplayer RPG experience.

At the end of the day, DX3MP probably won't nearly be as good as say Dystopia, but it will be a continuation of DX3, and that in itself will be a good thing.

Except like James said, if they made it a 4-6 hour game SP would be shit. MP needs to be developed without restricting SP, SP is the priority, MP is second to SP. I don't even mind if they release an MP patch like a year later than the actual game.
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Postby Dae » Sat Dec 13, 08 12:45 pm

DXMP is excellent, you fool.

Yes, it's buggy, it has loosy netcode, but it was totally forgotten by a developer — they didn't expect it to last that long, it was maintained solely by the fans. What'd you expect about the quality?

And gameplay, playability, concepts in it are great.
Last edited by Dae on Sat Dec 13, 08 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dae
Alpha

Postby Siva » Sat Dec 13, 08 12:52 pm

Max you can't be so obvious when you troll
//..
Siva

Postby Mr. Tastix » Sat Dec 13, 08 2:00 pm

Says the guy on the forum of a former Deus Ex Clan. And I'm fairly sure clans aren't made for singleplayer action, because that would deem them pointless.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby James » Sat Dec 13, 08 2:37 pm

Editing Dae's post to mimic my own opinion

DXMP is excellent, you fool.

Yes, it's buggy, it has loosy netcode, but it was totally forgotten by a developer — they didn't expect it to last that long, it was maintained solely by the fans. What'd you expect about the quality?

The playability, concepts in it are great. But I'd agree gameplay and competition has always been dire but I do not regret any time I've spent on this game because we've made it fun.

Any posts below this best not jump on Max by the way, I'm sure you've got nothing new to say.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Siva » Sat Dec 13, 08 3:19 pm

Max is a fgt
//..
Siva

Postby Spiderbot01 » Sat Dec 13, 08 9:34 pm

I played DXMP because my computer couldn't handle any better games..
<center>------</center><center>
Image</center>
<center>Image</center><
Spiderbot01
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Sun Dec 14, 08 12:41 am

I have a question, and I apologize if it has been answered already:

Will DX3 support aim-downable sights and sprinting?

That'd be a fine upgrade, I myself am working on the aim-downability of current DX1 weapons.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Mr. Tastix » Sun Dec 14, 08 3:34 am

cataclyzm wrote:I have a question, and I apologize if it has been answered already:

That'd be a fine upgrade, I myself am working on the aim-downability of current DX1 weapons.

Aim-downability? What is this exactly? I've never heard of it until now.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby Siva » Sun Dec 14, 08 3:36 am

~Psychotic~ wrote:
cataclyzm wrote:I have a question, and I apologize if it has been answered already:

When you right click in games like COD4 and get ironsights or the red dot etc
//..
Siva

Postby Mr. Tastix » Sun Dec 14, 08 3:44 am

Protocol wrote:
~Psychotic~ wrote:

When you right click in games like COD4 and get ironsights or the red dot etc

OH THAT. Yeah, I actually like that feature in games tbh.
Last edited by Mr. Tastix on Sun Dec 14, 08 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby Shinobi » Sun Dec 21, 08 10:45 pm

I agree with whoever said that SP is a priority. It clearly is. Buuuuuut......... an MP would be very very nice, especially if the game turns out to be good, so we can enjoy it for longer.

I played SP for years before I even had an internet connection, and I've played MP for over 18 months now, and even though I only play occasionally, I still enjoy it because as someone said above, the type of person who properly appreciates DX is the type of person I enjoy conversing with. Most of my MP servers were there simply to serve the purpose of "a chat room with guns", but even so, it was always great fun.

If DX3 doesn't have a multiplayer, I will be extremely disappointed, but if the SP game is excellent, then I will forgive them a little bit. I'm still looking for an MP game I will like as much as DXMP. So far I've found none. Even having a computer capable of playing pretty much all new games, I've tried loads of multiplayer stuff, but nothing coming anywhere near DXMP.*

*Apart from System Shock 2 Co-op.... fuck me that's fun.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Shinobi
Master

Postby MrBlackDX » Tue Dec 23, 08 12:22 am

Shinobi wrote:*Apart from System Shock 2 Co-op.... fuck me that's fun.

Sorry for topic deviation, but u wanna start a new SS2 coop game next year sometime?
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Postby Alex » Thu Mar 19, 09 8:36 am

Some new info:

The used cyberpunk style is a combination of sci-fi and the renaissance.

The ingame style is a combination of modern technology with baroque'ish furniture in buildings and fine pieces of art spread around the city.

As for the graphics, they are not aiming for realism that Crysis/Crytek tried, but they do try to make the enviroment & characters look 'real'. Somewhat like Bioshock and Mirror's Edge (but it doesn't look like it!)

The gameplay returns to the roots of DX1 , it's a non-lineair action RPG and in missions you can choose your own approach.

Not sure how much of this is new info. But nevertheless, wanted to share it.
Alex
Alpha

PreviousNext

Return to Deus Ex: Human Revolution