Hacking gripe

Discussion about the prequel by Square Enix.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Hacking gripe

Postby MrBlackDX » Mon Aug 29, 11 3:08 pm

First off, I love hacking in this game. It's fun, its clever, and it's great for getting a lot of bonus xp and credits.

But apart from the incentive of extra experience and money, there's a fuck ton of it, and the other gain is relatively minimal.

Here's what I think they should have done, make it networked...

Here's what I mean;

You are in Picus, there's 20 workstations of 50 to be hacked in the large room, they are connected in the hierarch;

Server > Router/Switch = Workstation

So the arrow (>) means that the possible secure connectivity is one way, and the equals (=) is that it is two ways, this gives multiple options;

Hack a workstation, to crack the workstation aim for the green objective node, this will open up the workstation for use

OR

Hack a workstation, to go from the workstation to the router/switch, aim for the Red security node, this will crack the workstation, and the begin ANOTHER minigame which starts a much larger network to crack the router, which is explained in the next bit.

OR

Find the router/switch (same as hacking through workstation), there is a cog near the security node (which is one way, so you can't get to the security node), which deploys a protocol or script, if you get to this cog, it will finish the minigame and unlock EVERY workstation the router/switch is connected to, scoring massive gains, but the problem will be the difficulty is getting to this special node.

OR

Find the server, you then have full access to deploy the protocol, but this will be like a level 5 security hack.

This would save a lot of time, be more fun, more realistic, albeit a bit more complicated. Hacking is essentially a side quest, except for a few sec 1 hacks, so really no issue here.
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Postby James » Mon Aug 29, 11 3:29 pm

lol hacking in Picus was a nuisance yes, gladly some computers were open.

Also quite frankly, I don't think unlocking/hacking minigames should exist in any videogame.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Kaiden » Mon Aug 29, 11 3:42 pm

I liked Bioshock 1 hacking :<
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby MrBlackDX » Mon Aug 29, 11 4:25 pm

They haven't cracked hacking minigames, because no matter what you will generally end up doing a lot of it, and it will become tedious.

I personally like them.

But yeah I think they need to put in a short term vs long term hacking strategy which is what the above is.

Hacking each individual terminal works short term easily, but has no long term benefit.

My strategy takes longer short term, but has a long term benefit.

THAT would be a good hacking startegy imo... of course I'm blowing my own trumpet.
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Return to Deus Ex: Human Revolution