General Overview - No Spoilers

Discussion about the prequel by Square Enix.

Moderator: Forum Guards

General Overview - No Spoilers

Postby ynnaD » Mon Sep 05, 11 2:01 pm

As someone who can't afford a copy of the game yet, and would prefer to hold off for a PC version, whats everyones opinions on the game then? I would ask in the other topics but i don't wanna spoil it for myself
Last edited by ynnaD on Wed Nov 09, 11 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby James » Mon Sep 05, 11 2:07 pm

Without being biased; as amazing as the original.

Do not expect a carbon copy, the early game gives massive homages to the areas of the first game but does not share the same plot at all. It is Eidos Montreal's own imprint on the series while staying 99% faithful to the core gameplay of the series. The story focuses on society and technology rather than conspiracies and philosopy.

Just do not play this expecting Deus Ex, expect a Deus Ex game.
Last edited by James on Mon Sep 05, 11 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby MrBlackDX » Mon Sep 05, 11 2:07 pm

Get this game

There's plenty of things this does better than the first game, combat primarily

There's plenty of things it doesn't live up to the first game, but does an outstandingly good job anyway, like the plot

There's very few things which are negatives, and can be overlooked, like the occasional bug, the graphics/animation (which are superb regardless), and one recurring gameplay mechanic which occurs for about 2% of the time you are playing this game (and is still enjoyable in my opinion anyway...)

20-30 hours of gameplay, at least three replays worth of potential, outstanding execution, brilliantly immersive, worthy of the name "Deus Ex"
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Postby Aidan » Mon Sep 05, 11 2:08 pm

It's amazing Danny. BUY IT. Even for your PS3 (there is practically no difference between the console versions to PC). I would say it's just about as good as the original.

Found it to be a bit shorter though.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Mon Sep 05, 11 2:11 pm

Aidan wrote:Even for your PS3 (there is practically no difference between the console versions to PC).

Fuck off. Reticule is pretty much the deal breaker. Hard with a controller to have this disabled.

Seriously no reticule makes the combat amazing.

MrBlackDX wrote:There's plenty of things it doesn't live up to the first game

Like no bad voice acting and people are having trouble finding the epic for the win one liners because the writing of dialogue was also awful in Deus Ex?

But yeah, I don't like no melee weapons, lack of choice in augmentations (Adam is supposed to have them all, but it does break builds) and yellow graphic filters etc.

Oh yeah, hubs are definitely more alive than Deus Ex's.

Aidan wrote:Found it to be a bit shorter though.

Barely any difference.

Look I was 11/12 years old when I played Deus Ex for the first time, it took me 52 hours but I was playing on easy mode.

I'm 22 years old at the time of this post. Deus Ex: Human Revolution took me 32 hours on my first playthrough on the highest difficulty, stealth with lethal. Trying to find more stuff than in DX, I think.

What does this prove?, is it shorter?

My 2nd playthrough of Deus Ex: Human Revolution was 34 hours long on the highest difficulty. I rushed on combat missions and I spent more time looking to compensate. Missed a lot of stuff I thought I seen first time.

It took a friend 70 hours to complete, like fuck has he found everything either.

I'm 14ish hours into my next playthrough, no where near halfway, I've missed out so much from my second playthrough.

No, it's pretty much the same as the first. I'd like to add my second and consecutive playthroughs of the first game have all been around or below 20 hours.

I think it's best for Danny to wait to get a PC, which will happen anyway in future, and purchase a GOTY edition which will come with all DLC so he doesn't miss a thing.

I'm doing the same with Witcher 2, I can play it right now, but I want to play it on full at 60fps.
Last edited by James on Mon Sep 05, 11 2:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Mon Sep 05, 11 2:37 pm

I've played the console version, and it's honestly just as fun.

If Danny is purchasing/building a PC down the road, then for sure hold off, and buy the GOTY edition for PC.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Mon Sep 05, 11 2:44 pm

Aidan wrote:I've played the console version, and it's honestly just as fun.

Have you?, so have I. It's awful for PS3. It's the same game as the other two, but its just shat on like all other multiplatform games on the PS3. FPS drops ahoooy

This reminds me of Dead Island for some reason.
Last edited by James on Mon Sep 05, 11 2:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Mon Sep 05, 11 3:11 pm

If you think it's that bad, then perhaps I was playing in in area that wasn't so harsh on the PS3's hardware.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby MrBlackDX » Mon Sep 05, 11 3:37 pm

Like no bad voice acting and people are having trouble finding the epic for the win one liners because the writing of dialogue was also awful in Deus Ex?

But yeah, I don't like no melee weapons, lack of choice in augmentations (Adam is supposed to have them all, but it does break builds) and yellow graphic filters etc.

Oh yeah, hubs are definitely more alive than Deus Ex's.

"There's plenty of things it doesn't live up to the first game, but does an outstandingly good job anyway, like the plot

Voice acting in DX has noticeably bad moments. There's what one or two characters in DXHR which have slightly bad voice acting.

This is not a point I was suggesting was better in DX1...

Also to be fair, DX:HR has some BRILLIANT one liners, "I never asked for this" "Yeah RIP" etc etc

They are bomb worthy.
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Postby James » Mon Sep 05, 11 4:45 pm

It was more of a dig at people who believe DXHR is a weaker game because of the stupid lines and the plot itself.

Last time I checked Deus Ex was literally "ALL CONSPIRACIES YOU'VE EVER HEARD ARE REAL", it wasn't exactly a bastion of great writing except for the amazing character development (UNATCO etc).
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby ynnaD » Tue Sep 20, 11 4:42 pm

My desire to not get this game until i get a PC is waning, i want my DX :(
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby James » Mon Sep 26, 11 7:34 pm

New achievement with missing link update which makes you get an achievement for completing the game without using praxis kits
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Tantalus » Wed Sep 28, 11 1:01 pm

MrBlackDX wrote:Also to be fair, DX:HR has some BRILLIANT one liners, "I never asked for this" "Yeah RIP" etc etc

They are bomb worthy.

YOU BOYS ALL LOOK ALIKE TO ME.
Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Wed Sep 28, 11 1:35 pm

*blacks and east asians screaming over dxhr racism*
*main character is constantly ridiculed by all races*

ok fair enough, the cliche fortune telling coloured woman was racist lol
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Tantalus » Wed Sep 28, 11 5:00 pm

WEEELL SHYEEEEEET.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Mon Oct 03, 11 11:21 am

Got a notepad on 360 / PS3 differences at home, just to call BS on Aidan's earlier post.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Return to Deus Ex: Human Revolution