[FIX] Advertisements on loading screens and how to get rid of them

Discussion about the prequel by Square Enix.

Moderator: Forum Guards

[FIX] Advertisements on loading screens and how to get rid of them

Postby James » Sat Sep 17, 11 11:10 am

As you may or may not know advertisements were recently added to the game.

To get rid of them you just need to start up notepad as an administrator and edit:

%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts\hosts.txt

You need to add two lines to the end of the file.

Code: Select all
127.0.0.1 doublefusion.com
127.0.0.1 *.doublefusion.com
Last edited by James on Sun Sep 25, 11 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Professor Layton » Sat Sep 17, 11 11:15 am

LOL
GrandpaTerran wrote:THIS MAP HAS BEEN POSTPONED FOR NOW I'LL RE-DEVELOP WHEN I HAVE COMPLETED MY MAPPING TRAINING
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby Kaiden » Sat Sep 17, 11 11:57 am

They added advertisements?
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby James » Sat Sep 17, 11 11:58 am

Yes, at the moment it is Star Wars on blu-ray.

lol
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Kaiden » Sat Sep 17, 11 11:59 am

I just shift-tab to the Steam web browser during loading screens as they take ages anyway.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby James » Tue Sep 20, 11 1:12 pm

http://blog.gib.me/2011/08/23/deus-ex-h ... on-no-ads/

Less safe alternative. I assume it isn't compatible with the Burger menu
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby James » Sun Sep 25, 11 9:00 am

Bump.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Mon Sep 26, 11 12:17 am

Should sticky things like this that optimize the game experience :)
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Tue Oct 04, 11 2:13 pm

I'm a little cheeky to even label this as a "fix", lol. I just do not agree with it at all.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby James » Fri Oct 07, 11 6:40 pm

We’ve been closely watching the debate that’s been going on over the inclusion of advertising in Deus Ex. It’s clear there are strong views, but primarily lots of people have been asking for more information on the issue – so hopefully that’s something I can help with.

We’re aware that this is an emotive topic and so this is something we’ve been very, very careful about implementing – because what we absolutely don’t want to do is break immersion with the game itself.

In-game advertising is one of the revenue streams which games companies can use to supplement game sales and revenues generated in this way can genuinely help with the cost of development.

To explain a little about how the process works: As part of the deal we have with our advertising partner, we’re able to reject any ads which we don’t feel are of interest for the game or its player base. In fact, that’s why they’ve only started appearing recently – because we rejected everything else up until the recent ad on the loading screen. The timing there was purely coincidental with the release of a PC patch, by the way.

As to how we deal with ads in the future, we’ve noted the passion that some people feel about the issue, and that better up-front communication would be appreciated.

Full disclosure: We have just approved a new advert which will appear in the loading screen of the game soon. We haven’t cleared anything to run on the in-game billboards as yet (that functionality does exist in the game). Ads will appear in Deus Ex in the future and our aim is to try to keep them as relevant as possible.

For other future games we’ll definitely bear in mind all of your comments on this topic – but meanwhile please keep telling us your thoughts on what we do.

Originally Posted by Ashpolt View Post
You've done the taking, now what are you giving in return?

This is one of the really useful questions that we've noted, although I can't predict at this point how that feedback might be used, and - honestly - it's not likely to be possible to give any answer in relation to Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

But for future reference, it's interesting to try and understand where the line is (while acknowledging that it's probably slightly different for everybody).

What (realistically) would you look for in return? How would you judge what is fair value in relation to the number or regularity of ads? At what point do ads break immersion with the game - loading screens or in-game billboards, or both? How important is it that information about ads is released in advance of the ability to buy (or pre-order) the game? And so on.

The more constructive feedback we can get on those kinds of issues, the better.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Return to Deus Ex: Human Revolution