Warren Spector: I screamed at the television as I played DXHR

Discussion about the prequel by Square Enix.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Warren Spector: I screamed at the television as I played DXHR

Postby James » Sat Mar 17, 12 8:39 pm

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... s-i-played

Speaking to GamesIndustry International in a wide-ranging interview at GDC, Spector remarked, "You know I've tried to stay out of that discussion since the game came out... It was one of the few games I finished, and I know the guys on the team and I know how dedicated they were and how respectful of the original they were; their hearts were in the right place and they did a wonderful job."
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Shinobi » Sat Mar 17, 12 10:19 pm

Cheers for telling us WHAT you liked/didn't like, Mr Spector..... O_o
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Shinobi
Master

Postby Aidan » Sat Mar 17, 12 10:47 pm

GOD HIMSELF SPEAKS!

I'm glad you were happy Mr.Spector.. I was too :cry:

NOW BRING ONE THE NEXT. THAT AND/OR MORE DLCCCCCC
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Psychotic » Sat Mar 17, 12 10:58 pm

Saying he likes the game is all fine and dandy but means squat if we don't know why he likes or doesn't like it. I like plenty of things, but telling a company that does nothing to help them improve their products or services.

Personally, I find Spector revered far too much for his work on one game. Plenty of people worked on that game and many of them don't get the same "air-time" as Spector does. Of course, perhaps they don't want it, I don't know.

I know many people would love to see Spector work on a new Deus Ex title but frankly, Deus Ex was great not because of one man, but because of the entire team. One person might have made the game's design fantastic (even though it was actually two) but many more worked on improving the game in the forms of writing and designing levels.

I'm not saying Spector doesn't deserve the recognition, I'm just saying give credit where credit is due.

As far as I'm concerned, Human Revolution was a good game, but the Deus Ex franchise will never be as great as it was when it began simply because it's not the same team running it. No matter how much Eidos Montreal try to stay true to the original, they'll always end up deviating even slightly from the direction Deus Ex was leading in. This isn't bad of course, I'd just rather see what direction the original team would've put the game in right now.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Shinobi » Sun Mar 18, 12 12:27 am

^what he said. Lol.
Shinobi
Master

Postby Aidan » Mon Mar 19, 12 12:17 am

There's an "m" and "e" in 'Team' 8)

Yeah, I agree that Spector receives a bit too much credit. However, Eidos Montreal stuck to his formula, and I was very pleased with the final result.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Psychotic » Mon Mar 19, 12 1:38 am

Aidan wrote:However, Eidos Montreal stuck to his formula, and I was very pleased with the final result.

I'm thankful that they kept largely to the his "formula", as you put it, even if they removed a few key aspects I liked about the original (mostly the skills, to be honest).

I would love to see more interviews with Sheldon Pacotti, the primary writer for the original Deus Ex, to see what his take on the writing of the game was.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Tantalus » Mon Mar 19, 12 1:48 am

Would love to know exactly what he didn't like...instead of being enigmatic about it.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Shinobi » Mon Mar 19, 12 8:06 am

Me too.

Bet it was lack of movable items.
Shinobi
Master

Postby James » Mon Mar 19, 12 8:27 am

Cheers for telling us WHAT you liked/didn't like, Mr Spector

Saying he likes the game is all fine and dandy but means squat if we don't know why he likes or doesn't like it.

Would love to know exactly what he didn't like...instead of being enigmatic about it.

I thought he said he accepted they did it differently.

On the subject on how he feels about Deus Ex: Human Revolution:
It is actually a rare thing for an 80's/90's videogame developer to finish another's videogame. This may sound strange but it is actually very common, as directors are focusing on their current game. I think that speaks volumes.

Aidan wrote:GOD HIMSELF SPEAKS!

Aidan wrote:Yeah, I agree that Spector receives a bit too much credit.

http://www.imagocentre.com/images/96/13 ... 41b_67.jpg
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Shinobi » Mon Mar 19, 12 10:13 am

PMSL. Contradiction, much? ^

I've still not finished the bloody game myself.... maybe it's worth it.
Shinobi
Master

Postby Psychotic » Mon Mar 19, 12 10:37 am

James wrote:It is actually a rare thing for an 80's/90's videogame developer to finish another's videogame. This may sound strange but it is actually very common, as directors are focusing on their current game. I think that speaks volumes.

It really depends on how much the person did complete, in this case.

If you didn't get very far then as far as I'm concerned your opinion matters much less to me than someone who actually has finished the game.

It's more a matter of a credibility, in this case. Your opinions aren't necessarily invalid if you haven't finished the game, but I'm more likely to believe and trust the opinion of someone who has, since they've actually seen the full extent of the game.

However, how much you've played does play a large factor in this, and I don't think we're going to learn that any time soon.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Shinobi » Mon Mar 19, 12 11:13 am

I'll admit to having not played much. Even worse, I have an unpatched pirate version which I got to see if I would buy the game... anyway it's not my opinion that this is about, I just think it would be interesting to know specifically which bits Spector disliked.

Interesting that he actually took the time to play the game, as you said.
Shinobi
Master

Postby Baleout » Mon Mar 19, 12 11:35 pm

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9q8oxkhnvI[/YOUTUBE]
Baleout
Master

Postby Psychotic » Tue Mar 20, 12 5:54 am

Well, that was amusing.
Psychotic
Master

Return to Deus Ex: Human Revolution