FILM

Discussion about the prequel by Square Enix.

Moderator: Forum Guards

FILM

Postby Psycho » Tue Jul 10, 12 7:14 pm

Psycho
Forum Hero

Postby Kaiden » Tue Jul 10, 12 7:22 pm

Probably another hitman/any other generic film based on a game. Maybe they can do it right, but probably not. (Haven't read the article yet, just a quick statement before I head off!)
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Tue Jul 10, 12 11:03 pm

"I never asked for this."
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Mastakilla » Wed Jul 11, 12 12:35 am

Magniir wrote:"I never asked for this."

Hehe

@Kaiden, I found the Hitman film to be pretty entertaining tbh. Didn't blow my mind but it was alright.
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero

Postby Psychotic » Wed Jul 11, 12 1:08 am

The below spoiler was my original post left-in for prosperity. Read the edited version, because it's so much shorter.

[spoiler]I didn't mind the Hitman film but the main problem with movies based on video games is that you can remove the references to the game and the story still holds, which means it's failed in it's original design, in my opinion.

If you changed Agent 47's name and then called the movie "The Assassin" or something, nothing would've been ruined really. It wouldn't have looked any different and would've still made sense.

Two other movies I can think of that would work if you removed all game references is Max Payne and Resident Evil. Both of these I found entertaining in their own right but had little to do with the game other than the universe they're set in and some of the corporations. This doesn't make the movie outright bad, it just makes it a poor rendition of a game, as many games are based not only around their universe but also around the characters, the corporations and, most importantly, the context these are in.

I would much prefer a movie based on the original Deus Ex than on Human Revolution. I would prefer to watch a live-action rendition of the actual games storyline in all it's glory. Some people don't see the point in this ("Just play the game!") but it's a different medium that I still find entertaining. Alongside this, not sticking to the storyline poses it's own issues.

Whilst Deus Ex's universe is rather unique in it's own right, it needs to be placed in the context of it's own story. When you make a new story with new characters and a new plot but in the same universe then it's just going to seem like a rip-off of other similar movies like The Matrix, but with random Deus Ex names like "VersaLife" or "Picus TV" in it.

We can argue the differences between The Matrix and Deus Ex all you like but does anyone remember the big debate some people had about Deus Ex: Human Revolution's artwork looking similar to Ghost in the Shell? Those familiar with both of the series knows the differences but when you look from afar they can look very similar, and that needs to change when you're designing for a much broader audience.

It just doesn't work. Either copy the storyline for the big screen or simply use the game as a reference for a completely unrelated movie. Film creators shouldn't insult gamers by using a popular games name but then only alluring to that game with titles, corporation names and a few characters.[/spoiler]

[e] Now that I think about it a bit more, what is probably the biggest issue with games-to-movie adaptations is that what seems unique and original in a video game has probably already been done to death in a movie.

If you look at games like Deus Ex or Half-Life from the outside, they look like generic shoot-em-ups. Same applies to fantasy games like The Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age or the numerous D&D CRPGs.

All these games have decent storylines to us, but to the general population, they're probably not when converted to movie form, as they've likely been done before.

This is why I believe it's almost crucial to copy a video games storyline, much like film creators try and do when making book-to-movie adaptations, because without the context of the story, it just doesn't work and doesn't look new and exciting to a broad audience, which movies are marketed at.
Last edited by Psychotic on Wed Jul 11, 12 1:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Siva » Wed Jul 11, 12 1:49 am

Video game to film adaptations only work when you eliminate much of the source material, because time constraints. Video game stories work because you have 10+ hours to get used to it and immersed in it.

Which is why film to game adaptations are better (but rarely get the quality they deserve) because the story can be fleshed out and expanded upon in new and interesting ways.
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby Aidan » Wed Jul 11, 12 4:04 am

REMEMBER THE LAST DEUS EX MOVIE???

I DON'T.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Tantalus » Wed Jul 11, 12 7:48 am

Aidan wrote:REMEMBER THE LAST DEUS EX MOVIE???

I DON'T.

I ONLY KNEW JC DENTON FOR ONE DAY, BUT I WAS PROUD TO CALL HIM MY BROTHER.
Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby ynnaD » Wed Jul 11, 12 9:07 am

What a shame
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby Psychotic » Wed Jul 11, 12 9:55 am

Every time I see that quote I just crack the fuck up.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Marder » Sun Jul 29, 12 5:52 pm

This film is the disaster already happened.

Columbia would have done a great job with it.

CBS, well it's going to be a TV film obviously and obviously be fairly shit in comparison to what Columbia and William Dafoe would have done.

Mind you, Band of Brothers was good, it really depends on director, budget and other stuff I guess.
Marder
Poster

Postby China » Sat Aug 04, 12 10:38 am

Aidan wrote:REMEMBER THE LAST DEUS EX MOVIE???

I DON'T.

It came out in the 70's actually!
www.chinnysdeusexblog.wordpress.com
China
Wannabe

Postby Dex » Fri Nov 16, 12 2:56 am

Dex
Forum Hero

Postby Psychotic » Fri Nov 16, 12 1:00 pm

I'm just going to treat this like I treat the second game, for the most part: It exists but is in no way, shape or form affiliated with the original Deus Ex franchise in the very least and is considered some sort of freaky fan-fiction, at the worst.

It's going to be fun seeing how yet another video game to movie adaption turns out... and by "fun" I mean "fun watching it fail miserably".
Psychotic
Master

Postby Tantalus » Fri Nov 16, 12 4:18 pm

I will still watch it for fan service.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby clyzm » Fri Nov 16, 12 6:23 pm

I'd rather watch a DX1 movie than a DXHR one tbh
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Psychotic » Fri Nov 16, 12 8:11 pm

clyzm wrote:I'd rather watch a DX1 movie than a DXHR one tbh

I'd rather watch neither since I'm jaded but if I had to choose I'd agree with you completely.

I actually wanted a Deus Ex movie for years (when I wasn't as cynical) and I think that if a director/screenwriter didn't change everything too dramatically it could still work, but not with Human Revolution.

DXHR is a decent story but I just don't find it as powerful as the original. I mean, the original is what spurred the fanbase, the mods, and the prequel to begin with.
Psychotic
Master

Postby clyzm » Fri Nov 16, 12 10:00 pm

Honestly I just want to see Christian Bale do the JC Denton persona justice, batman voice and all
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Psychotic » Sat Nov 17, 12 7:00 am

I always figured he'd be a semi-decent choice, but I'm not fond of the Batman voice. It pisses me off.
Psychotic
Master

Postby China » Mon Nov 19, 12 8:12 am

The Batman voice still seems to me like a bad parody spoof type of thing, it's completely laughable, I couldn't believe my ears when I first heard it.

The last time I went to the cinema to watch a video game turned movie was Streetfighter many years ago, these movies are normally terrible. :P
China
Wannabe

Postby Tantalus » Mon Nov 19, 12 9:29 pm

clyzm wrote:Honestly I just want to see Christian Bale do the JC Denton persona justice, batman voice and all

Christian Bale's Batman voice wasn't even bad in Batman Begins. Must have been an executive decision at the filming of Dark Knight.
Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby clyzm » Mon Nov 19, 12 9:31 pm

Tantalus wrote:
clyzm wrote:Honestly I just want to see Christian Bale do the JC Denton persona justice, batman voice and all

Christian Bale's Batman voice wasn't even bad in Batman Begins. Must have been an executive decision at the filming of Dark Knight.

clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Tantalus » Mon Nov 19, 12 11:01 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhJYt0UL7AQ[/youtube]
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Psychotic » Tue Nov 20, 12 10:22 am

Exactly why I hate the Batman voice.

Christian Bale's voice itself isn't problematic, it's just when he does the gravelly-bullshit he did in both Terminator and Batman that it gets bloody stupid.
Psychotic
Master

Postby China » Fri Nov 23, 12 2:32 pm

Nice video Tantalus, the original Batman was always my favourite.
China
Wannabe

Postby Tantalus » Fri Nov 23, 12 2:50 pm

China wrote:Nice video Tantalus, the original Batman was always my favourite.

I always loved it too. More for the atmosphere and Bruce Wayne than the actual plot, though. This is the huge qualm I have with Nolan's renditions, they are not nearly dark or gothic enough for Gotham City. Gotham is supposed to be overcrowded, polluted and unrealistically corrupt; not a grubbier version of Boston.
Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Return to Deus Ex: Human Revolution