Square Enix has filed a trademark for Deus Ex: Human Defiance, Deus Ex: The Fall, Deus Ex Universe

Discussion about the prequel by Square Enix.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Square Enix has filed a trademark for Deus Ex: Human Defiance, Deus Ex: The Fall, Deus Ex Universe

Postby James » Wed Feb 27, 13 12:24 pm

http://thecoversystem.com/post/44128216 ... quare-enix

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/39 ... -defiance/

What can it be?

DX HD?

DX Remake?

DX4?

Updated: Turns out this will be a movie, but there was a new domain name registered for Deus Ex: The Fall.

http://www.dxalpha.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 951#311951
Last edited by James on Thu Sep 12, 13 8:06 am, edited 5 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Mastakilla » Wed Feb 27, 13 12:59 pm

Why do they need to trademark that name if they own "Deus Ex" anyway? Or am I wrong :oops:
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Wed Feb 27, 13 1:25 pm

http://boards.4chan.org/v/res/178395921

not enjoying this thread. i'm the deus ex story telling guy and the person who posts against the dxiw fan
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Gishank » Wed Feb 27, 13 6:30 pm

Would be nice to see a game orientated around the rise of Page/nano-augs. Or a DX:IW 'remake' (aka, completely replaced)
Gishank
Forum Super Hero

Postby Aidan » Wed Feb 27, 13 7:34 pm

If they do decide to remake The Conspiracy; they should keep the name the same as to not mislead people.

Also, if it IS a remake... They should include a voucher to download the original game off of steam (I know they sort of did that with HR in a way, but I think it would be more applicable with The Conspiracy)
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Wed Feb 27, 13 8:24 pm

Nano augs rised in DX1. There's a lot of mutagenics and and nano viruses in 2030s as I keep repeating.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Wed Feb 27, 13 10:43 pm

James wrote:Nano augs rised in DX1. There's a lot of mutagenics and and nano viruses in 2030s as I keep repeating.

That would make for an excellent plot-line and build to the original.

Certain familiar characters were mentioned here and there in HR. Perhaps we'll hear, and see more in DXHD
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Tantalus » Thu Feb 28, 13 12:51 am

Still think it might be Paul's story.

If not, maybe something from FEMA and Page's slow rise to power?
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Thu Feb 28, 13 1:00 am

Paul has little story to tell. Everything Paul did we received news of in DX1 and his actions briefly before the first game aided to dialogue sides of the plot, anything else that isn't ultimately DX1's plot would be far too pointless.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Tantalus » Thu Feb 28, 13 1:15 am

James wrote:Paul has little story to tell. Everything Paul did we received news of in DX1 and his actions briefly before the first game aided to dialogue sides of the plot, anything else that isn't ultimately DX1's plot would be far too pointless.

Yeah, you got a point there.

Okay, hear me out here, what about Megan?
Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Thu Feb 28, 13 11:26 am

Of course.

James wrote:There's a lot of mutagenics and and nano viruses in 2030s as I keep repeating.

Chimera virus was a sequel hook at the end of DXHR. I was wondering yesterday with a group about the word defiance and what it means to defy being human.

If ultimately DXHR's message about mech-augs is positive (but we must be cautious), and they don't make you less than human; what could defy being human?
How about something meddling with your genetics. Think about the karkians, greasels and the grays being a mishmash of creatures and part of weird experiments. There's also the MIB agents (who seem to have little to no free will) are not only robotic and part of some kind of biological method of augmentation.

Just think about what makes a human defy what it is. What is a human? What doesn't make a human a human?

The creative staff are all about transhumanism so who knows. There's a lot unexplained about these mutants and nanotech in DX1 which focused on nano-augmentation. Besides, it can be anything to do with cloning which is a new concept straight after DXHR.
Last edited by James on Thu Feb 28, 13 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Tantalus » Thu Feb 28, 13 11:32 am

Mmm yeah, I can get behind that line of thinking. Making an abomination out of humanity. On the flip side but relating to that, maybe it could be Megan's ultimate rebellion against Page Industries, she realises the future of humanity (chimera virus, karkians, grays etc.) and goes against its 'progress'.

Seriously would love to see her as a heroine.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Thu Feb 28, 13 11:37 am

Well, DXHR kind of set Megan up as an villain. She's a typical fictional scientist whose morals don't get in the way of working on bad stuff just to enhance, fund and work on what she feels is important. The post-credits sequence of DXHR pretty much signify that her unethical research (directed by Page's vision or not) is massively responsible for how the events of Deus Ex unfold.

edit: plus she cuckolded Jensen.
Last edited by James on Thu Feb 28, 13 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Tantalus » Thu Feb 28, 13 11:53 am

And? What if her research started the cloning project, which indeed was clearly indicated by the post-credits scene, and that acted as a catalyst for her revelation? It seems like a storyline compelling enough to base a game around it. With Megan now disillusioned with what has become of the scientific world, she has a choice of becoming apart of the Purist faction (no idea if it'll be Purity First), or for her to maybe carve her own research and try to one-up Page's hostile competition. Expanding into that, what if she discovers something bigger than what she is doing with Page and tries to release it through her own name/to the general public.

Yes, it will be very difficult for Montreal to justify how she behaved in Human Revolution, but she was one of the boldest characters in that game I felt; yet left enough room for character development.

(Side note: CBS Films owns DeusExHumanDefiance.com...shitty movie instead?)
Last edited by Tantalus on Thu Feb 28, 13 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Thu Feb 28, 13 12:08 pm

Suddenly all hype has died.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Tantalus » Thu Feb 28, 13 12:15 pm

I hope it's video game and terrible movie, as opposed to just a terrible movie.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby ~DJ~ » Fri Mar 01, 13 2:33 am

I WANT TO SEE CHRISTIAN BALE AS ADAM JENSEN NOW.
Batman voice and all. :lol:

But darn.. I too hope it's a movie AND a game. :cry:
~DJ~
Forum Super Hero

Postby Psychotic » Sat Mar 02, 13 2:50 am

James wrote:There's also the MIB agents (who seem to have little to no free will) are not only robotic and part of some kind of biological method of augmentation.

The MiB are physiopharmaceutical augmented agents, in that their augmentations and apparent lack of free will come from physical and psychological conditioning rather than via full mechanics or nano-technology.

It was used during the use of mechanical augmentation but before full nano-technology experiments as a quick way for the Illuminati and MJ12 to create agents that would obey their every command (including committing suicide upon failure of mission objectives).

If Eidos decided to go make a sequel to DX3 but a prequel to DX1 then including some examples of the MiB wouldn't surprise me, but I've always assumed that if they were to make a DX3 sequel it would be far more concerned with the Illuminati and Majestic-12's break-up, which happens shortly after the events of DX3.

~DJ~ wrote:I WANT TO SEE CHRISTIAN BALE AS ADAM JENSEN NOW.

At least his stupid Batman voice would actually fit for JC. Somewhat. It'd still piss me off, though.

Mastakilla wrote:Why do they need to trademark that name if they own "Deus Ex" anyway? Or am I wrong :oops:

They own the trademark for Deus Ex, Deus Ex: Invisible War and Deus Ex: Human Revolution and those trademarks protect those names, but "Deus Ex: Human Defiance" would be considered a different name and so would also need it's own trademark protection.

Eidos could use the words Deus Ex: Human Defiance anyway they want, but if that name isn't trademarked too, then it's harder to protect it if someone else decides to use it.
Last edited by Psychotic on Sat Mar 02, 13 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Clancy Stein » Mon Mar 04, 13 10:00 am

The datacube in Chateau left by Beth for Nicolette hidden behind the bed reads like the premise of a DX game.
Clancy Stein
Poster

Postby Aidan » Mon Mar 04, 13 10:27 am

Clancy Stein wrote:The datacube in Chateau left by Beth for Nicolette hidden behind the bed reads like the premise of a DX game.

That sounds intriguing. I really want to check that out now. Thanks for that.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Tantalus » Mon Mar 04, 13 10:55 am

Screenshot it.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby ~DJ~ » Tue Mar 05, 13 6:53 am

Magniir wrote:

At least his stupid Batman voice would actually fit for JC. Somewhat. It'd still piss me off, though.

For JC or Adam Jensen? :lol:
~DJ~
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Wed Mar 06, 13 1:13 pm

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... quare-enix

Credit to Alex for telling me.

Also, oddly enough it reminds me of this.

A major earthquake hits the West Coast, destroying most of San Francisco and dumping all of Los Angeles most of Southern California south of Lompoc into the ocean. The earthquake forces the government to declare the west coast (or what was left of it) a disaster area.

FEMA big part of protection or reaction against this. When was Walton Simons appointed, during the MJ12 rebellion in the 30s?
edit: can also mean the fall of the illuminati but hey whatever
Last edited by James on Wed Mar 06, 13 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Wed Mar 06, 13 2:00 pm

I hear the movie is going to be directed by a horror-film director, but it's going to have distinct cyberpunk influences and not just some video game movie (dude cited Neuromancer as an influence - big bonus) and it's most definitely going to be based on DX:HR and not DX1

Cyberpunk is one of the hardest things to do in movies. Often they interlace with futurism and utopia, sometimes they have the technological aspect down but suck at story and character development (I, Robot). Sometimes the dystopia element stands out too much and tries to be 'gritty' (Matrix)

Blade Runner was the only "true" cyberpunk movie in my opinion
Last edited by clyzm on Wed Mar 06, 13 2:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby James » Wed Mar 06, 13 6:29 pm

New community manager keeps bringing up the viral trailers of DXHR again.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Wed Mar 06, 13 9:27 pm

~DJ~ wrote:
Magniir wrote:

For JC or Adam Jensen? :lol:

I would rather see a movie of the original Deus Ex, so JC.

James wrote:edit: can also mean the fall of the illuminati but hey whatever

If Deus Ex: The Fall is about the fall of the Illuminati then I'm going to be so fucking right.

clyzm wrote:...and it's most definitely going to be based on DX:HR and not DX1

If true this leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

I enjoyed Human Revolution but no matter how good the game is it simply does not and will not beat Deus Ex's story.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Clancy Stein » Thu Mar 07, 13 10:41 am

clyzm wrote:

If you dont count anime as movies.
Clancy Stein
Poster

Postby Aidan » Thu Mar 07, 13 11:04 am

Clancy Stein wrote:
clyzm wrote:

I think we're going for realism here though man. How close to reality one can get the cyberpunk feel.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby clyzm » Thu Mar 07, 13 11:14 am

Clancy Stein wrote:
clyzm wrote:

Totally forgot about GITS
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby James » Thu Mar 07, 13 12:08 pm