DX:HR Indie Multiplayer

Discussion about the prequel by Square Enix.

Moderator: Forum Guards

DX:HR Indie Multiplayer

Postby Mr357 » Tue Nov 19, 13 3:03 am

I have no idea what legal issues he's cleared up with this, but someone is making their own Human Revolution multiplayer using the Unity Engine (from the looks of it, and the video description). An interesting endeavor to say the least.

http://www.moddb.com/games/dehr-multiplayer-mod

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKpObV8w5zw
Last edited by Mr357 on Tue Nov 19, 13 3:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr357

Postby Psychotic » Tue Nov 19, 13 5:05 am

He has no access to copyrights by the sounds of it. Far as I can tell he's using Human Revolution as a base for now and would ideally want to replace all the models and textures with custom ones, so that the game will not be a DXHR multiplayer so much as one inspired by the game.

It's ambitious and I am not hopeful; Many a man has tried to convert singleplayer games to multiplayer (Oblivion and Skyrim immediately come to mind) and whilst they make good, initial progress, they soon "suspend" the project indefinitely due to a lack of external and internal support (not enough people desire it or want to help out).

Multiplayer also has a lot of its own demons, some that people don't seem to be immediately aware of like optimization and how servers will work. There's a reason ambitious companies have either failed or changed their plans to a singleplayer experience first.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Mr357 » Tue Nov 19, 13 6:08 am

Magniir wrote:He has no access to copyrights by the sounds of it. Far as I can tell he's using Human Revolution as a base for now and would ideally want to replace all the models and textures with custom ones, so that the game will not be a DXHR multiplayer so much as one inspired by the game.

It's ambitious and I am not hopeful; Many a man has tried to convert singleplayer games to multiplayer (Oblivion and Skyrim immediately come to mind) and whilst they make good, initial progress, they soon "suspend" the project indefinitely due to a lack of external and internal support (not enough people desire it or want to help out).

Multiplayer also has a lot of its own demons, some that people don't seem to be immediately aware of like optimization and how servers will work. There's a reason ambitious companies have either failed or changed their plans to a singleplayer experience first.

Agreed; it seems like he's charging blindly into this and I doubt he'll be successful.
Mr357

Postby synthetic » Tue Nov 19, 13 6:37 am

He has set his priorities right, which is always a good sign and most likely will produce something, whether playable or not.

Worth taking a look if and when he has released something playable, which should be in couple years.
[TSS][¥]{¥+EoD}{RF}{MoH}[G][NEM][UE][N]{U}[REN][BM][FGS][THC][:¤:]
synthetic
Forum Hero

Postby Psychotic » Tue Nov 19, 13 9:36 am

If he releases something then yes, it'll be great, and if it's like any of the other projects I made minor mention to he will hopefully release something (all of those usually do). It just never tends to expand more than a simple release, which I why I think people should start small then work their way up.

It's not that he can't or shouldn't do it or try to do it. He most certainly should try because, if nothing else, he'll learn a lot from it.

However, in saying this, I'm not expecting anything to come from it in the way he wants it to. I'm not expecting to sit here and play what he has originally envisioned. I expect it to be reiterated and redesigned a lot as he learns, which is fine. Maybe one day we'll see something, maybe not.

Simply speaking, I'm of the belief that it's better to show something for your efforts than nothing at all. The Nameless Mod, for example, is a fantastic example of a great creation that took a long time and we've not heard much about any of their supposed "future projects" since.

Not to say OTP isn't still actively working on something, just that showing something is always better than nothing, especially in freelance and indie work.

So I have low expectations, which also has the upside of being easily impressed if someone great comes out. I don't tend to set the bar too high for most things anyway.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Return to Deus Ex: Human Revolution