localization

Project: 2027 modification discussion. Download it now!

Moderator: Ded

localization

Postby galocza » Wed Oct 19, 11 11:05 am

im not sure id have the time, but id really like to give a try to translate 2027 into hungarian.
i have some experience translating (movie/tv series subtitles) but i never tried to localize a game.
any hints how to do it? i guess i need some tools to extract the text, translate it and compile it back somehow.
thanks,
g
galocza

Postby James » Wed Oct 19, 11 11:07 am

If Ded approves, I'm sure he'll give you access to documents (speech/items etc) at your own leisure to play around with.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Ded » Wed Oct 19, 11 12:15 pm

You can get all files you need here: http://code.google.com/p/project-2027/
2027's source has been released under LPGL license, so you can use them however you want.
To modify and compile game conversations, you will need ConEdit from the Deus Ex SDK.
There are 200-300 A4 pages of game texts total.
Last edited by Ded on Wed Oct 19, 11 12:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Follow 2027 at Twitter
Ded
Project 2027

Postby galocza » Wed Oct 19, 11 12:20 pm

thanks,
g
galocza

Postby galocza » Wed Oct 19, 11 7:52 pm

i completed translating chapter 2 (conversation & infolink).
i know its not much (about 1/30th not counting item/aug/skill/perk etc descriptions, datacubes etc) but its a start.
is there a relatively simple way to see if it works (eg special characters)? like copying them into somewhere overrides the text in GameConversationsText.eng_u?
same question goes about datacubes/emails (i found these .txt files but not yet completed them).
im sorry about asking for help again and again but im a little over my head here: translating is ok, but i dont have any experience in game editing, i really dont know how to use utilities (conedit is ok, its simple),compile the conversations back, where to find the stuff to translate (like descriptions, gui elements) among the 5000+ files the repository contains.
it might be not the best methodology but id like to go chapter by chapter to able to test it. id also like to finish with the more tiring stuff like books and descriptions - conversations are actually quite fun.
thanks,
g

btw, great work with the reworked english translation, so far everything is comprehensible, and the dialogues give the characters more personality (chapter 2).
galocza

Postby Ded » Wed Oct 19, 11 9:33 pm

I have updated the description on http://code.google.com/p/project-2027/
Just follow the instructions, it's pretty easy, you just need to install a bunch of utilities and edit one text file.
Last edited by Ded on Wed Oct 19, 11 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow 2027 at Twitter
Ded
Project 2027

Postby galocza » Wed Oct 19, 11 9:39 pm

thanks, ill try that tomorrow!
galocza

Postby eeZee » Wed Oct 19, 11 11:40 pm

galocza wrote:btw, great work with the reworked english translation, so far everything is comprehensible, and the dialogues give the characters more personality (chapter 2).

:D I hope it's some of my work that you're enjoying. It really does make a big difference.
eeZee

Postby galocza » Thu Oct 20, 11 5:26 pm

i managed to fire up ant at last (winant installer didnt work), succeeded compiling for the second try (during the first one ucc.exe stuck somehow).
now my problem is that there are cyrillic characters instead of hungarian ones in conversations/goals/notes/barks. infolink is ok.
http://freebies.uw.hu/Shot0000.jpg
instead of:
"Naponta egy látogató engedélyezett."
a few other examples:
http://freebies.uw.hu/Shot0001.jpg
http://freebies.uw.hu/Shot0002.jpg

ive read the warning about codetables, but i guess conedit should put out proper .con files, am i wrong in this?
Last edited by galocza on Thu Oct 20, 11 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
galocza

Postby Ded » Thu Oct 20, 11 6:11 pm

If it's OK in infolinks, then it's probably because of the font I'm using for all texts, except for the infolinks (not sure if it has the characters you need since it is a Cyrillic font).
I can build you a font package that should work on this weekend if you send me some compiled conversation files to test.
Last edited by Ded on Thu Oct 20, 11 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow 2027 at Twitter
Ded
Project 2027

Postby galocza » Thu Oct 20, 11 7:40 pm

i have modified
%REPOSITORY%/locale/02_Washington_CIA.eng
%REPOSITORY%/locale/DeusEx.eng
to test texts "Year 2025 Washington D.C., USA Human Horizon Lab" and "Houseplant"
(UTF-8 )

and

%REPOSITORY%/src/GameTextEng/Text/Mission02/2_Datacube02.txt
to test text "Per the updated security regulations..."
(cp1251)

in addition to Chapter2.con & Chapter2_Infolink.con.

compiling it resulted in a few errors (unlike before).
all texts should start with "áéíóöőúüű ÁÉÍÓÖŐÚÜŰ"
shot0003, shot0007: theres no change with %REPOSITORY%/locale/.eng files (possibly the errors in ant).
shot0004: more or less okay, although you cannot give conedit only ôûÔÛ instead of őűŐŰ.
shot0005: question marks all the way.
shot0006: cyrillic characters instead of latin ones (again, it should be: "áéíóöőúüű ÁÉÍÓÖŐÚÜŰ")

i will include the ucc.log file, an ms office document with the hungarian characters, the screenshots and all the modified text files in the zip file.

i saved the text files with libreoffice 3.3, specifying "encoded text" and utf-8 and cp1251 codepages as output. im not sure they are ok, but they should be.
http://freebies.uw.hu/DedPack.zip

EDIT: and of course let me know if i can be of any assistance to further the resolution to these issues.
g
Last edited by galocza on Fri Oct 21, 11 6:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
galocza

Postby Ded » Sun Nov 06, 11 10:28 pm

Sorry for the delay. I was not able to test the package myself, but I think you will be able to build it on your system with a Hungarian locale.
I have prepared the package (DeusExUI_build.zip) with all fonts replaced with the infolink font (see below), but I'm not sure if it will work. Put it to \2027\System to check it yourself.

You can also use the DeusExUI's sources to build your own package:
1. Unzip and put these fonts to C:\Windows\Fonts
2. Unzip and put DeusExUI folder to your root Deus Ex folder and delete \System\DeusExUI.u and \2027\System\DeusExUI.u
3. Run a build script for some of the packages (say, SupportBots); the DeusExUI package should get updated as well (it will appear in \System folder, not in the \2027\System).

After you are able to build your own DeusExUI package, you can install your own fonts and use them in 2027 (the fonts are embedded into the DeusExUI package).
Open \DeusExUI\Classes\ImportGameFonts.uc. There should be a bunch of lines like this:
Code: Select all
#exec new TrueTypeFontFactory Name=FontBarkName FontName="Maza 2027 Bold" Height=18 AntiAlias=1

Just replace "Maza 2027 Bold" with a Windows' name of your font (open font file to see it).
Attachments
DeusExUI.zip
Default fonts package's sources
(2.31 MiB) Downloaded 586 times
fonts.zip
Default 2027 fonts
(427.58 KiB) Downloaded 581 times
DeusExUI_build.zip
DeusExUI with all fonts replaced with InfolinkFont
(2.22 MiB) Downloaded 571 times
Last edited by Ded on Sun Nov 06, 11 10:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Follow 2027 at Twitter
Ded
Project 2027

Postby galocza » Wed Nov 09, 11 7:34 pm

sorry about not replying sooner, and thanks for your work.
i will try everything later (maybe the weekend), my dear parents dropped a new "project" into my lap.
Last edited by galocza on Wed Nov 09, 11 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
galocza

Return to Project 2027