Warren Spector defends Deus Ex

Discussion about the original game by Ion Storm. Also known as Deus Ex: The Conspiracy.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Warren Spector defends Deus Ex

Postby Tonnochi » Fri Mar 28, 08 7:04 am

This is old news. I stopped reading when he said "fresh madness".

http://forums.eidosgames.com/archive/index.php/t-3289.html
Last edited by Tonnochi on Fri Mar 28, 08 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tonnochi
Forum Hero

Postby [FGS]ShadowRunner » Fri Mar 28, 08 11:55 am

I too defend Deus Ex, it is a good game... a masterpiece among classics and quite unique, ahead of it's time and above all...cool.
[FGS]ShadowRunner
Addict

Postby Tonnochi » Sat Mar 29, 08 4:07 pm

No but this guy gave it a bad review. One of the only people. Which shows that the only people that don't like DX have no idea what they're talking about.
Tonnochi
Forum Hero

Postby Mastakilla » Sat Mar 29, 08 4:17 pm

He obviously didn't get the point of the game, afraid that he would miss plot elements from the game because there are different approaches to situations, he prefers a game where you can do only one thing, shooting. I don't see why he hates DX than, because here too you can just go in shooting of that's what you prefer :?
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero

Postby Mr. Tastix » Sat Mar 29, 08 5:10 pm

It sounds to me like these dumb fucks didn't even play the game fully. The second review even sounds like he's accusing that whole Illuminati-conspiracy storyline thing has been done before. Tell me then, in what game that's been released have you ever had to uncover a conspiracy concerning a massive epidemic, a cure for the epidemic and a massively secret organization?

Hell, walk down in the middle of your city, ask someone what the Illuminati is and they'll either wonder what the hell you're on about or think you're making some fucked up joke. That and what's wrong with the game's name? It DOES make sence, which I would think is the reason why it's based off of a Deus Ex Machina...

If bastards like these aren't willing to play the game to it's full extent then they have no right to make a review about it. Making a crap review and admitting you couldn't even complete the game isn't wise. It proves you're stupid enough to try and degrade a game with NO evidence to base your claims on.
Blood is thicker than water and sweeter than candy.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby Tonnochi » Sat Mar 29, 08 6:48 pm

It's typical Halo-like gamers. If the first thing they see isn't a gun and people to shoot it with, the game sucks.
Tonnochi
Forum Hero

Postby Tantalus » Wed Apr 16, 08 3:01 pm

Why does Deus Ex deserve this criticism? If anything Half Life sucks much more than the DX series.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Mr. Tastix » Wed Apr 16, 08 3:12 pm

The Grand Inquisitor wrote:Why does Deus Ex deserve this criticism? If anything Half Life sucks much more than the DX series.

That's incredibly debatable. Especially considering Half-Life has won more awards than Deus Ex and a load gamers class it as the best first-person shooter ever made.

I don't class it as that, I don't class any game as that, even Deus Ex. And DX is my favourite game of all the games I've ever played. I don't believe in the "best" game.

And by your quote I assume you either didn't like Half-Life as much as Deus Ex or you just dislike the Half-Life series in general. I myself quite liked the Half-Life series, but that's just me.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby James » Wed Apr 16, 08 4:27 pm

Half Life 2 vanilla makes me rage so hard and a lot of people agree with me. It was nothing special, you could even say that Halo 1 did the same things before it.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Mr. Tastix » Wed Apr 16, 08 4:35 pm

I couldn't care less really. I play a game, I try and finish it. Unless it's got some massive suckage involved I don't finish it. I did finish Half-Life 2 however and have finished many other games. Not all I liked but meh, whatever.

As far as I'm concerned, Half-Life is just another game. I personally don't mind it, I kinda like it. But I still believe Deus Ex pwns everything else. And Deus Ex is my favourite game not because of graphics or gameplay (partly the latter though) but because I believe it to have an absolutely fantastic storyline.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby Tantalus » Wed Apr 16, 08 4:59 pm

Don't get me wrong: I love the Half Life storyline but I would rather read it in comics.

For me I thought it was sloppy, misleading and attempting to look like a varied path game but was completely linear.

I even had to cheat on a puzzle because I destroyed all the boxes you have to use to go on - to me that screams poor.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Mr. Tastix » Wed Apr 16, 08 5:30 pm

The Grand Inquisitor wrote:For me I thought it was sloppy, misleading and attempting to look like a varied path game but was completely linear.

I have to agree with you on that one.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby Tantalus » Wed Apr 16, 08 6:00 pm

For example: on the level Our Benefactors there are two pods: one leading to certain death and then nothing but a white screen....nice one Valve; what were you trying to accomplish?

And during the hover boat level, I wasn't even given the damn turret!

Stalkers weren't even coded to animate death.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Tonnochi » Wed Apr 16, 08 6:37 pm

I ADORE Half-Life, but while we're on the subject of flaws...

The bottoms of anything in the game are not textured. Thats sloppy.
Tonnochi
Forum Hero

Postby Psycho » Wed Apr 16, 08 7:30 pm

TBH people might say im thick, but my personal opinion I think Deus EX is better than CS:S, you get shot once and you are dead, and I do not like that in a First Person shooter PC game.
Psycho
Forum Hero

Postby Tantalus » Wed Apr 16, 08 8:07 pm

Obviously it was aiming for realism but when do you see a Counter Terrorist squad storm an office block, jumping around, firing fifty cals and throwing grenades. It is an entertaining game but it never lasted with me.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby synthetic » Wed Apr 16, 08 8:29 pm

Just make it happen and get it past the first fight. Only then one should discuss its success further. All this negativity will only damage the community, even if in the interest of saving someone's time or trying not to get the hopes up.

Of course the details could and should be discussed where ever they seem vague. For example the point Alex brought out.

So work on the ladder, keep us posted, but do not expect immediate interest in this project from the community.
[TSS][¥]{¥+EoD}{RF}{MoH}[G][NEM][UE][N]{U}[REN][BM][FGS][THC][:¤:]
synthetic
Forum Hero

Postby James » Wed Apr 16, 08 8:42 pm

UHOH
WRONG THREAD
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Tantalus » Wed Apr 16, 08 8:54 pm

I knew that sounded out of context.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Siva » Wed Apr 16, 08 10:10 pm

Kanye be readin' dat PC Zone fo sho'
Last edited by Siva on Wed Apr 16, 08 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby Mr. Tastix » Thu Apr 17, 08 4:12 am

Especially when I read the sentence: "So work on the ladder, keep us posted, but do not expect immediate interest in this project from the community."

That was odd. Wrong thread rofl. Anyways, I believe this is about Warren Spector defending Deus Ex and not about Half-Life or CS:S (which I don't mind but can't stand it online, I prefer LAN). Every game has their flaws and not everyone did like Deus Ex.

Hell, I know loads of people who played the game and couldn't get to grips with the storyline. I do have to say, it's not the easiest to follow. Some may learn within a few hours, some people are slower than that.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby Tantalus » Thu Apr 17, 08 1:10 pm

Kanye West wrote:Kanye be readin' dat PC Zone fo sho'
Please stop talking street! It's a tumour on your IQ.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Return to Deus Ex