Paul Denton has Gray Death

Discussion about the original game by Ion Storm. Also known as Deus Ex: The Conspiracy.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Paul Denton has Gray Death

Postby clyzm » Thu Oct 07, 10 10:15 pm

In the MJ12 lab there's a couple statements by the lab officials doing experiments on Paul, one of them was that he had Gray Death but showed no symptoms.

Is this related to the killswitch? Or is it that the same virus that constitutes the Gray Death also makes up the nanotechnology in nanoaugged agents?
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby James » Thu Oct 07, 10 10:21 pm

This is what I thought, yes I would believe it to be exactly that. If you think about his state in his apartment and compare it to the infected at hospital nearby it's quite similar.

The symptoms part throws it off completely though especially when Paul is held in one of the main MJ12 branches (see; not a field of operations such as the catacombs.) and they're aware that the gray death does indeed have symptoms and Paul doesn't? Also Tracer finds it easy to nullify the killswitch.

I'd say it is indeed one of the many nanotech 'virus' that Bob Page and co created (as threatened by the team at X51 by Page himself that he can make any new successor to the virus as he pleases with at least one universal constructor), related to but isn't the Gray death
Last edited by James on Thu Oct 07, 10 10:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Thu Oct 07, 10 10:27 pm

Also what Paul says in his apartment

"You got to have God clearance to know. The nanites can be programmed for exponential growth"

I think something in his nanotechnology is making the symptoms cancel out. So what is the killswitch then? Is it just Gray Death with a timer? Or something else? If it is a new virus, did they synthesize it especially for nanoaugs?
Last edited by clyzm on Thu Oct 07, 10 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby James » Thu Oct 07, 10 10:33 pm

I would like to assume whatever it is was inbuilt from the start as a failsafe and was always there like self destructed ones seen in mechs, it could either be a successor or be a previous virus to the Gray Death.

On a related note, DX3 trailer's notorious forced suicide: primitive killswitch or hacked?
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Mastakilla » Fri Oct 08, 10 5:38 pm

Killswitch = Gray Death I think. Paul is also very ill like people who have the gray death when you meet him at his apartment.
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero

Postby Marder » Sun Oct 10, 10 1:02 pm

I don't think so, Anna Navarre explodes like a MIB killswitch, I would think it is a case of exploding nanites. The Gray Death makes people sick, so their bodies are damaged, it's not just the nanites inside them in that case.
Marder
Poster

Postby ~DJ~ » Sun Oct 10, 10 1:12 pm

But Anna was a mech, these are augmented humans. Their killswitches are way different.
~DJ~
Forum Super Hero

Postby Marder » Sun Oct 10, 10 1:54 pm

howabout MIB, they aren't mech totally are they? They explode.
Marder
Poster

Postby James » Sun Oct 10, 10 3:12 pm

They are mech. They're the most advanced line.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Marder » Wed Oct 13, 10 2:30 pm

So Shaney and other ex-mech's in NY might be characters in DX3?
Marder
Poster

Postby Mastakilla » Wed Oct 13, 10 3:25 pm

I don't think so. They were ex-unatco right? if DX3 follows a storyline that leads to the formation of UNATCO it will be unlikely you'll see them.
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Wed Oct 13, 10 5:57 pm

Marder wrote:So Shaney and other ex-mech's in NY might be characters in DX3?

As Mastakilla said, no, Shaney is at least ex-unatco. But mechanical augmentation existed on the black market so maybe we'd see early thugs using mech augs.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Return to Deus Ex