I'm really glad Deux Ex didn't have sellable loot

Discussion about the original game by Ion Storm. Also known as Deus Ex: The Conspiracy.

Moderator: Forum Guards

I'm really glad Deux Ex didn't have sellable loot

Postby maxz888 » Fri Sep 29, 23 1:04 pm

Imagine how tedious it would have been needing to go back and forth, looting NPCs and delivering goods to a merchant. It's funny how such a small change makes a huge difference in quality of gameplay. I never thought about this before but actively incentivizing the player to do boring things is just crap design. The way Deus Ex handles merchants and game economy is pretty solid, maybe towards the end it would have been nice to have more stuff to spend your cash on.
maxz888

Re: I'm really glad Deux Ex didn't have sellable loot

Postby WeeCrab » Tue Oct 17, 23 7:47 pm

Good points. I used to wish I could sell random items in DX1, but you're right that it would've totally changed the game.
WeeCrab

Re: I'm really glad Deux Ex didn't have sellable loot

Postby Notorious_BOG » Sat Jan 06, 24 5:12 pm

Honestly, its a really good thing they didn't include it. Makes you have to go out and do the missions more. I will say, if they had better things to buy from the people, I would have taken the money aspect of the game a bit more serious. I play without using guns, so when they sell me ammo, I always pass. If they had options for buying lockpicks and multitools, I would have been a happy camper.
Notorious_BOG

Return to Deus Ex