DIABLO 3

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Postby James » Sat Feb 25, 12 8:14 pm

Blizzard don't do DLC, except for cosmetic microtransactional items.

Torchlight is a poor clone of Diablo 1. Guild Wars is a worthy successor to Diablo 2. Diablo 3 will be fun and Guild Wars 2 will be fun, getting excited for Torchlight 2 is risky.
Last edited by James on Sat Feb 25, 12 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Sun Feb 26, 12 4:29 am

Protocol wrote:never played diablo

played torchlight

if diablo 3 is better than torchlight 2 i buy u all trainz 2011 with all dlc

All dlc is $300

R U SURE?!

Hopefully there will be some sort of "starter edition" type equivalent so I can test it out.
Last edited by Aidan on Sun Feb 26, 12 4:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Sat Mar 03, 12 7:16 pm

Oh I didn't see trains.

Aidan wrote:Hopefully there will be some sort of "starter edition" type equivalent so I can test it out.

Unlikely at first. The best demonstration would be to play Diablo 2, which is a really fun videogame. If you're into point and clicks or have a love for roguelikes you can try Diablo 1 too.
Last edited by James on Sat Mar 03, 12 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Sun Mar 04, 12 9:26 pm

I've heard bad things about the demo, myself, but I don't have particularly high expectations for most games, anymore.

My biggest problem is the fact that it requires a constant internet connection to play. Not a problem to most, and hopefully won't be a problem for me very soon, but after spending a year without solid internet (rural area, no dial-up either) I have an even bigger dislike for things like internet activations and the like (and I already hated them).

I think, in general, Diablo 3 will be a decent hack-n-slash adventure to pass the time with. I've never had big expectations with action-RPGs like Diablo (or shooters, for that matter). For me, they're games where I can have a bit of mindless fun slaughtering monsters and stuff, and because I usually only play them for that reason, I find them enjoyable.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Sun Mar 04, 12 9:31 pm

I've heard good things about the demo recently (changes mostly) other than the difficulty of the limited area, though they promise it will be harder in the later difficulties at least. There's always the graphics that will be a problem because I think the execution and art style leaves much to desire, however I find it passable.

I sympathize with you completely over the net connection. I would like some confirmation that there's aspects of offline mode available as Diablo 2 saved me whenever I've been without net in my younger years.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Sun Mar 04, 12 9:42 pm

James wrote:I've heard good things about the demo recently (changes mostly) other than the difficulty of the limited area, though they promise it will be harder in the later difficulties at least. There's always the graphics that will be a problem because I think the execution and art style leaves much to desire, however I find it passable.

I honestly don't know how the game will be, and I've heard things on both sides of the spectrum. But, like the ME3 demo, I take the opinions at face value. They're just demos.

When I played the Deus Ex demo over 10 years ago now, I thought it was one of the best games I'd ever played (granted, I was only 10 at the time, but the opinion hasn't changed much) but looking back, the 2 or so levels you played would never have given you a good idea of what the game will be like, as a whole. The same applies for D3's demo.

James wrote:I sympathize with you completely over the net connection. I would like some confirmation that there's aspects of offline mode available as Diablo 2 saved me whenever I've been without net in my younger years.

My solution for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, F.E.A.R. 3 and Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning was to find a crack for the game and use a SID unpacker to get the files off the CDs.

It's not a quick-fix, however, and it's extremely inconvenient. What's worse is not all games have these Steam cracks (DXHR didn't, for example, but I managed to activate that before our internet went out) and there's a tendency for people to look down on anyone using "cracks", for whatever reason.
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Thu Mar 15, 12 8:52 pm

GOTY 2012 has a release date of May 15th.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Thu Mar 15, 12 10:27 pm

James wrote:GOTY 2012 has a release date of May 15th.

That's a little ambitious, isn't it?
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Fri Mar 16, 12 8:03 am

Magniir wrote:
James wrote:GOTY 2012 has a release date of May 15th.

They had to cut out PVP for it (...) to be released so early.

If you're from the UK please play with us, here's the CE for £55.97:
http://www.gamestop.co.uk/39621_PC_Diab ... ition.aspx

Whom is planning to play this?
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Fri Mar 16, 12 10:37 am

No, I know that. I meant it's a bit ambitious marking it as the "GOTY", if you mean what I'm assuming you do.

I want to play it, who knows if I will. Might get it as birthday present? Who knows.

[e] I'd also love to play the EU version with you guys, only problem is my Battle.net account is a SEA account (South East Asia includes Oceanic countries like AU and NZ).

Apparently it won't work like StarCraft II however, where all Oceanic players got pooled into the SEA servers, until Blizzard added an option for Oceanic players to change their desired regions.

According to this blue post, SEA accounts will default to the US servers, but the post implies that we'd be able to change to EU in some way. If so, I'll consider doing that. If not, I'd consider making a new Battle.net account just for Diablo 3.
Last edited by Psychotic on Fri Mar 16, 12 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Siva » Fri Mar 16, 12 1:02 pm

James wrote:They had to cut out PVP for it

Haha, oh wow.

Anyway if it's out by July I'll buy it, by then I'll have a real damn PC
Last edited by Siva on Fri Mar 16, 12 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby Psychotic » Fri Mar 16, 12 1:07 pm

Protocol wrote:
James wrote:They had to cut out PVP for it

Haha, oh wow

A better term would be they're "delaying" the PvP content, not cutting it.

They will add PvP content when it's finished, as it'd be an incredibly unwise business decision not to. They're delaying it however, because they want people to be able to play the game now, instead of another 4-10 months later.

In other words: They want more money now, rather than later.

It's not all bad, of course, since many people won't be playing the multiplayer modes to start with anyway, if at all. But I do hope they don't wait too long to include it after the release.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Kaiden » Fri Mar 16, 12 2:42 pm

They have been making it for quite a few years now, the fact they're delaying PvP is pretty terrible. Depends how quickly it's re-added though, knowing Blizzard with WoW (and the fact Blizzard have stated they don't really care about PvP in Diablo 3) it'll probably be a while.

I'll be playing it.
Last edited by Kaiden on Fri Mar 16, 12 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Fri Mar 16, 12 11:50 pm

Kaiden wrote:

They have been making it for quite a few years now, the fact they're delaying PvP is pretty terrible. Depends how quickly it's re-added though, knowing Blizzard with WoW (and the fact Blizzard have stated they don't really care about PvP in Diablo 3) it'll probably be a while.

I'll be playing it.

Again, what I meant was the addition of the letters "GOTY".

Unless these now also mean something else, I find it a little ambitious that Diablo 3 will be marked as such.
Last edited by Psychotic on Fri Mar 16, 12 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Sat Mar 17, 12 8:00 am

Yup I'm very biased, but that is only because a Diablo 3 release date is real and I've been waiting for this for 12 years.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Sat Mar 17, 12 8:21 am

James wrote:Yup I'm very biased, but that is only because a Diablo 3 release date is real and I've been waiting for this for 12 years.

I'm holding some reservations, frankly.

I waited over 10 years for another game, too. Guess how that one turned out. :P

Aside from that, I still believe all the games who have earned a GOTY award from any website in the past 5 years is utter bullshit. Most of the games today are pretty bullshit.

I am biased though, and am quite fond of living 10-15 years in the past, where all the good games still live. My rose-tinted glasses haven't shattered just yet.
Last edited by Psychotic on Sat Mar 17, 12 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Aidan » Sat Mar 17, 12 10:32 pm

James wrote:Yup I'm very biased, but that is only because a Diablo 3 release date is real and I've been waiting for this for 12 years.

Does this mean the SC2 thread is going to be dead in May?

Is Diablo like runescape?
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Psychotic » Sat Mar 17, 12 10:52 pm

Aidan wrote:

Lolno.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Mastakilla » Sat Mar 17, 12 11:58 pm

Aidan wrote:

O_O

Is Starcraft 2 like Stalin vs Martians?
Last edited by Mastakilla on Sat Mar 17, 12 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Sun Mar 18, 12 6:42 am

Mastakilla wrote:
Aidan wrote:

O_O

Is Deus Ex like World of Warcraft?
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Mon Mar 19, 12 12:08 am

James wrote:
Mastakilla wrote:
Aidan wrote:

O_O

It's getting there...... lol
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Psychotic » Mon Mar 19, 12 1:35 am

Aidan wrote:
James wrote:
Mastakilla wrote:
Aidan wrote:

O_O

It's getting there...... lol

At what, a snail's pace?
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Mon Mar 19, 12 8:32 am

Bale, Dex and Italian Alex:
Try playing the normal Diablo 1 (not The Hell.exe), I just had a 1.5 hour blast as warrior.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Professor Layton » Mon Mar 19, 12 12:45 pm

Yeah it's fun :3
GrandpaTerran wrote:THIS MAP HAS BEEN POSTPONED FOR NOW I'LL RE-DEVELOP WHEN I HAVE COMPLETED MY MAPPING TRAINING
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby James » Tue Mar 20, 12 8:09 am

Got items for everybody, and a robe with -33% for Bale if he finds a better ring, so he can give ring to someone else ye.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Tue Mar 20, 12 8:57 am

I am disappointed that I won't be able to play a dwarf in this game. I should be able to play a dwarf in every game, no matter the genre!
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Tue Mar 20, 12 9:09 am

Not sure if dwarves exist in this, it's the beauty of Diablo, nice mild fantasy setting of demons/angels on the medieval planet. Where Diablo lacks in species it is rich with human culture, typically other fantasy game follow Tolkien archetypes so I'm happy.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Tue Mar 20, 12 9:52 am

Oh, I know dwarves don't exist in Diablo, and the human-rich environments is actually why I like Diablo's setting more than most these days. It can still be a bit cliché in areas, but it's not a complete Tolkein rip-off.

I'll always like dwarves, they're one of my favourite fantasy-like races. I prefer them over other races simply because they're not as overused. They are there, they are prominent in many medieval fantasy games, but they don't always take a front seat in the story.

Norse dwarves are also badass and this is more likely where many elements of the "modern" dwarf came from.
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Tue Mar 20, 12 10:02 am

Playing a dickass dwarf half-orc in fantasy settings = GOAT.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby James » Wed Mar 21, 12 2:43 pm

Got a lot of healing spellbooks this morning for Bale, like 3 or 4 of them. I don't even.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming and Technology