DIABLO 3

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Postby James » Mon Jun 04, 12 12:10 pm

That calculator rules.

I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Tue Jun 05, 12 8:14 am

Since I know you love spreadsheets so much, James, here's a few more.

Damage and Survivability Spreadsheet (Monk and Barbarian primarily but many core components should apply to all classes):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv? ... true#gid=0

Witch Doctor Damage Spreadsheet (multiple copies due to high-loads forcing you into "simple mode"):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... BVXc#gid=0

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... MNmc#gid=0

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... BWGc#gid=0

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... kSlE#gid=0

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDpiRUTUjI0[/youtube]

Interesting video, not something I'd do normally but it's something to think about when on Hardcore.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Thu Jun 07, 12 8:36 pm

New weapon, vanished shoulders and chest armour.

I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Sat Jun 09, 12 11:28 am

Kinda liking my monk's gear.

"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Psychotic » Tue Jun 12, 12 9:17 am

I hate Reddit but saw this on the official D3 forums:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments ... right_now/

I'm going to be honest, if I was the project manager for Diablo 3 I'd be bloody reeling at the idiot programmer who did. How does something so ridiculously stupid even happen?

But look guys, this is just another reason why server-based singleplayer and "always online" DRM are good things, amirite!?
Psychotic
Master

Postby Professor Layton » Tue Jun 12, 12 9:34 am

How it apparently worked:

Player A puts item up on AH
Player B buys item
Player A takes out the gold from that transaction
Player B turns back the clock on his desktop by 2 days
Player B will get back the money he spent on the item, and player A will also have the money that was originally paid, thus duping the gold.

How does it even make sense to use the local clock for the transactions?
GrandpaTerran wrote:THIS MAP HAS BEEN POSTPONED FOR NOW I'LL RE-DEVELOP WHEN I HAVE COMPLETED MY MAPPING TRAINING
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby Psychotic » Tue Jun 12, 12 10:04 am

It doesn't, and one of the persons who is spreading it like some new plague is most likely lying to make a more monies off his livestream/YouTube views.

There's been absolutely no solid evidence to backup the abhorrent claims and the so-called "hotfix" doesn't exist outside the scope of players minds.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/ ... ?page=3#51

Bashiok wrote:We haven't deployed any hot fixes this evening. As far as we can tell the supposed exploit never worked, but we'll continue looking into it. Yes, changing the system clock can change auction times, but that doesnt dupe gold. It's pretty easy to see how much gold people have, and we have no indication anyone has/had that much.
Last edited by Psychotic on Tue Jun 12, 12 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Professor Layton » Tue Jun 12, 12 12:32 pm

Yeah, now it's pretty unclear what state we're really at. I guess we'll have to wait and see what actually happened because a lot of people are obviously just exaggerating or making things up. Asia did have a dupe exploit 2 days ago due to instable servers though.

In answer to your quote, they DID apply a hotfix. Did you notice you're not automatically joining general channel anymore? Obviously that doesn't mean they fixed anything else, but they did deploy a hotfix regardless of what bashiok says.

Also the fact that people CAN cancel transactions by moving the clock back is pretty retarded and I wouldn't be surprised if something like that could give a tiny chance to cause inconsistencies in the data. (duped or removed stuff)
GrandpaTerran wrote:THIS MAP HAS BEEN POSTPONED FOR NOW I'LL RE-DEVELOP WHEN I HAVE COMPLETED MY MAPPING TRAINING
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby Dae » Tue Jun 12, 12 2:05 pm

Could anyone please explain (sum up), what's so special and interesting about Diablo III? (Or at least point out a link where it is explained).

I enjoyed Diablo I and completed the singleplayer mode when I was a kid. Now I bought Diablo III, spent a couple of hours in it - so far it's nice and beautiful but it doesn't really absorb me (and I don't think I'm already too old for these kind of games).

It seems to me I'm missing something - maybe because I skipped Diablo II or played only the singleplayer mode in Diablo II.
Dae
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Tue Jun 12, 12 3:22 pm

Professor Layton wrote:In answer to your quote, they DID apply a hotfix. Did you notice you're not automatically joining general channel anymore? Obviously that doesn't mean they fixed anything else, but they did deploy a hotfix regardless of what bashiok says.

Did they deploy one at the time of Bashiok's writing or the time of yours? Last I played (which was a few minutes before my last response) I was still joining General chat automatically.

Professor Layton wrote:Also the fact that people CAN cancel transactions by moving the clock back is pretty retarded and I wouldn't be surprised if something like that could give a tiny chance to cause inconsistencies in the data. (duped or removed stuff)

Perhaps but there's no solid evidence. All we've got is random conjecture, people saying you can do but nobody proving anything. People saying they'll set up live streams but then getting all "scared" and flustered at the last minute.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Kaiden » Tue Jun 12, 12 3:23 pm

D3 has lost me slightly now I'm on my 3rd play through. I find the Wizard pretty uninteresting and every fight tends to boil down to shooting a laser or shooting exploding blobs of arcane at stuff while hoping they don't get close enough to hit you.

I haven't tried any of the other classes, maybe they're more interesting - but I enjoyed the first 2 playthroughs a lot.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Tue Jun 12, 12 3:36 pm

Ranged classes at the moment are actually somewhat better suited for Inferno than melee but this is due to a big disparity between the two, like the whole concept being "death-running" -- Ranged classes can always do minor damage to a boss/elite mob before dying due to the distance granted by being ranged and the ability to kite more easily than melee. If melee get one-shot then they don't really get much of a chance to do the same damage a ranged character can do before inevitably dying.

I don't mind the tedium that is levelling new characters and I rather enjoy both my monk and my barbarian but after playing WoW for 4+ years, amongst other repetitive MMOs, you kind of get used to it. It also helps to have some mates to play it with, which makes it much more enjoyable for me (and is why I still play WoW despite hating most of it).

From a barbarian/monk standpoint, some of the stuff is pretty interesting but it still grows tedious and repetitive. I find monks slightly more interesting than barbarians except where lengthy cooldowns are concerned (a barbarian's Earthquake, Wrath of the Berserker and Call of the Ancients spells are pretty nifty).

Ultimately, I like playing the game if only to hang out with mates, but it's not as captivating to me as Titan Quest is and sometimes I actually feel like playing my characters on that, instead.

Hardcore is fun but it's sitting on the backburner for me at the moment due to random server lag issues and some awesome graphic stutter issues I've been having since the latest patch was released. I would like to play it more just because I find it far more challenging, rewarding and fun because of it.

[e] Also avoid any of the official forums at all costs. Nothing but hatred and tripe spews forth from them and I try to avoid them where possible. So many people bitching about "rollbacks" (related to the exploit above) when Blizzard hasn't actually said anything on rollbacks. I literally can't find anything by Blizzard about rollbacks, nor where the rumour even started.

As some guy put it: "Basically, tens of thousands of people let word of mouth work them up into a frenzy and it ended with this !@#$storm."
Last edited by Psychotic on Tue Jun 12, 12 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Professor Layton » Tue Jun 12, 12 4:39 pm

Magniir wrote:Did they deploy one at the time of Bashiok's writing or the time of yours? Last I played (which was a few minutes before my last response) I was still joining General chat automatically.

Before Bashiok's post. Maybe later on SEA though.

Could anyone please explain (sum up), what's so special and interesting about Diablo III? (Or at least point out a link where it is explained).

I enjoyed Diablo I and completed the singleplayer mode when I was a kid. Now I bought Diablo III, spent a couple of hours in it - so far it's nice and beautiful but it doesn't really absorb me (and I don't think I'm already too old for these kind of games).

It seems to me I'm missing something - maybe because I skipped Diablo II or played only the singleplayer mode in Diablo II.

Just wondering, which class did you pick to play?
Last edited by Professor Layton on Tue Jun 12, 12 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby Dae » Tue Jun 12, 12 5:28 pm

Professor Layton wrote: which class did you pick to play?

Barbarian
Dae
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Tue Jun 12, 12 6:02 pm

Getting fed up with DRM.

Was going to play this morning before sanding down shelves... NOPE. DOWN FOR MAINTENANCE. WE'LL HANG ON TO YOUR $60 AND YOU CAN HAVE IT BACK WHEN WE FEEL LIKE IT AIDAN.
Last edited by Aidan on Tue Jun 12, 12 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Wed Jun 13, 12 5:06 am

We've recently added a limit to the number of games a player can create within a certain amount of time. Players who hit this limit will see the error: "Input limit reached. Please wait to perform more actions." After receiving this error, you will need to wait approximately 10 to 15 minutes before creating any additional games.

This change was made to help reduce server strain and improve overall game stability, and we'll continue to monitor the situation and make additional improvements as necessary. We're currently working to find a solution that allows most players who are playing normally to create games without encountering this error, but will still limit some of the more extreme cases of rapid game creation. We appreciate your patience as we make these adjustments.

PISS OFF
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Wed Jun 13, 12 5:18 am

Really depends on the the "certain amount of time". What is the timeframe we're talking here?

I'm not entirely sure why you'd need to create so many games in such a short time span so therefore don't seen an issue if the timeframe is small but if it's large (let's say like a few games an hour, much like the dungeon caps in WoW) then yeah, that's pretty bullshit.
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Wed Jun 13, 12 7:05 am

After looking into some reports you guys provided it seems the limit may have not been working exactly as intended. Working properly you really shouldn't see it, even in fairly normal 'farming' conditions, or reasonable amounts of character swapping. We're shutting it off until we can take a better look at it tomorrow.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Wed Jun 13, 12 7:43 am

Sounds like the limit is designed to be as low as I thought it to be (so low it won't matter to the normal player).
Psychotic
Master

Postby Professor Layton » Wed Jun 13, 12 3:46 pm

Dae wrote:
Professor Layton wrote: which class did you pick to play?

Barbarian
I haven't actually played barbarian so I can't really talk about that part I guess. In the end diablo 3 is just a monster-killing frenzy, just like diablo 2, so I don't really know why it doesn't appeal to you. I like the game a lot, as long as the DRM doesn't show too much of itself. (singleplayer lag D: )
Last edited by Professor Layton on Wed Jun 13, 12 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby James » Wed Jun 13, 12 5:52 pm

Possibly skipping Diablo 2, also Diablo 3's normal mode is anti-challenge.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Wed Jun 13, 12 8:23 pm

Most of Nightmare is anti-challenge, too, with only a few affixes that can pose some actual trouble.
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Thu Jun 14, 12 7:26 am

I don't know, Nightmare has been challenging enough for me on Barb, Wizard and Demon Hunter. Especially the barbarian, I played with 3 absolute noobies from this forum who kept dying to mortar!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by James on Thu Jun 14, 12 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Thu Jun 14, 12 7:43 am

I'm playing in normal guys! look at me!

I have one mediocre legendary armor chest!
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Thu Jun 14, 12 7:48 am

I had a lvl 20 legendary crown that lasted me through Nightmare.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Professor Layton » Thu Jun 14, 12 12:55 pm

Never used a legendary, rares da best.

Anyone have any idea how far increased attackspeed will get nerfed?
Last edited by Professor Layton on Thu Jun 14, 12 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby Psychotic » Thu Jun 14, 12 1:23 pm

James wrote:I don't know, Nightmare has been challenging enough for me on Barb, Wizard and Demon Hunter. Especially the barbarian, I played with 3 absolute noobies from this forum who kept dying to mortar!!!!!!!!!!

It's a pity you can't transfer characters between regions.
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Sat Jun 16, 12 8:24 am

I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Sat Jun 16, 12 12:57 pm

Schaefer went on to add that he doesn't think competition with Diablo III will do the upcoming Torchlight II any harm. In fact, he pointed out that the rate of Steam pre-orders for the game has risen by 40% since Diablo III's release.

Oh, I wonder why that could be! /sarcasm
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Sat Jun 16, 12 1:08 pm

I wonder what is more faithful, Diablo 3 by North or Diablo 3 by Blizzard.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming and Technology