Metro 2033

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Metro 2033

Postby clyzm » Tue Mar 23, 10 1:54 am

[youtube=SpJrNVTMrP0]Metro 2033 Gameplay[/youtube]

From the wispy smoke that surrounds most guns after firing, to the insane amount of detail put into the levels, making them almost frame-for-frame artistically extravagant, this is hands-down the best looking FPS I have ever played.

In terms of combat I feel it is also the most realistic. I can't even count the amount of gunfights I would have in the metro, against AI that actually knows how to take cover, hearing the echo of their voices and their guns going off, listening to the shells falling to the floor... And after the battle is done, the metro falls once again eerily silent.

By far my most favorite aspect about the game is the gas mask. It's not a simple gas mask for radiation and such; you have to actually use it in areas of a high carbon monoxide concentration, sewers full of toxic gases, or when you go to the surface. Since there's no HUD for the gas mask, you have to be the judge of how much time you have left on it, and it DOES get damaged in firefights, cracking in some cases.

Honestly the atmosphere of the game is just downright amazing. I mean, using bullets for currency? Pumping hand-made pneumatic weapons before a firefight? The way the characters make snide but somewhat sad remarks about their future? The fact that, even after the Apocalypse, there's a Russian Neo-Nazi group in the tunnels fighting against a pro-Communist sect? It is just... wow.

too long; didn't read GAME OF THE FUCKING YEAR
Last edited by clyzm on Tue Mar 23, 10 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Professor Layton » Tue Mar 23, 10 3:01 am

I should have obtained this within a few days, sounds good.
GrandpaTerran wrote:THIS MAP HAS BEEN POSTPONED FOR NOW I'LL RE-DEVELOP WHEN I HAVE COMPLETED MY MAPPING TRAINING
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby Kaiden » Tue Mar 23, 10 4:02 am

Does look nice, 1:25 with the light from the vent and the monster thing + smoke looks awesome.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby James » Tue Mar 23, 10 8:31 am

I originally slandered this during development for looking like Fallout 3 with snow.

Then I realised it's based on the book.
Then I realised it the STALKER's developers working on a linear FPS experience.
Then I realised it was good.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby ynnaD » Tue Mar 23, 10 10:04 am

Ethelbert the Tiger wrote:I should have obtained this within a few days, sounds good.

torrents da best m7
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby ~SaSQuAtCH~ » Tue Mar 23, 10 3:22 pm

The other day I had the chance to install it but I decided I'm not interested
~SaSQuAtCH~
Master

Postby clyzm » Tue Mar 23, 10 3:30 pm

~SaSQuAtCH~ wrote:The other day I had the chance to install it but I decided I'm not interested

It's really good! I think you'll like it if you try it.

The only downside to this game is that it gets unnervingly frustrating at some points, even on Easy difficulty.
Last edited by clyzm on Tue Mar 23, 10 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Survive. » Tue Mar 23, 10 4:04 pm

I am thinking of buying it, but playing way to much Broderlands at the moment...
Survive.
Master

Postby ynnaD » Tue Mar 23, 10 9:25 pm

Survive. wrote:I am thinking of buying it, but drinking way too much at the moment...

Fixed :)
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby Survive. » Wed Mar 24, 10 12:04 am

Pvt Desperate Dan wrote:
Survive. wrote:I am thinking of buying it, but drinking way too much at the moment...

Fixed :)

Hmm... Seems right :P
Survive.
Master

Postby Tantalus » Sun Mar 28, 10 10:31 am

clyzm wrote:It's really good! I think you'll like it if you try it.

The only downside to this game is that it gets unnervingly frustrating at some points, even on Easy difficulty.
Make the call, Derek.

CoP or Metro?
Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby clyzm » Sun Mar 28, 10 10:47 pm

Metro :$

CoP is alright for the RPG element, and atmosphere, but has nowhere near the amount of detail Metro has.

Also it surprises me how many similarities Metro has with Fallout 3:

-Protagonists are both within 1 year of each other (Artyom being older than the Lone Wanderer)
-Protagonists both come up from underground
-Protagonists dealing with post apocalyptic scenario where everything is a wasteland

The only differences is maybe the 240 year timespan between the games, but otherwise you may as well call it Metro 2274 or Fallout 3: Adventures in Moscow Metro System
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Dae » Sun Mar 28, 10 11:11 pm

Russians of PlanetDeusEx complain that the game is poorly optimized, and lags even on high-end PCs and there's something wrong with shooting (aiming?) system.
Dae
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Sun Mar 28, 10 11:22 pm

Dae wrote:Russians of PlanetDeusEx complain that the game is poorly optimized, and lags even on high-end PCs and there's something wrong with shooting (aiming?) system.

Oh yes, it lags but I thought that was due to my own hardware (I thought a 280 + quadcore + 8GB ram could handle the graphics, guess not on anything but AAA aliasing). It slows down very frequently but otherwise I can play it at a decent framerate on Very High settings.

As for the aiming system I don't see anything wrong with it other than the fact some guns are wildly inaccurate and generate more smoke than an 1800s cotton gin.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Professor Layton » Mon Mar 29, 10 12:56 am

Dae wrote:Russians of PlanetDeusEx complain that the game is poorly optimized, and lags even on high-end PCs and there's something wrong with shooting (aiming?) system.
Well I didn't experience much lag on my system, I had graphics on Medium and resolution on 11xx*8xx with only a 8600GT (forgot the exact numbers, 4:3 ratio anyway ye)

The aiming DID seem a bit weird though, but i'll need to play more, now that I got a new mouse after my previous one messed up.
GrandpaTerran wrote:THIS MAP HAS BEEN POSTPONED FOR NOW I'LL RE-DEVELOP WHEN I HAVE COMPLETED MY MAPPING TRAINING
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby James » Tue Jul 13, 10 5:44 pm

Still want to play this fucking game, Jesus Christ. Might hold out for DX11 because apparently tessellation looks beastly on this game.
Last edited by James on Tue Jul 13, 10 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Tue Jul 13, 10 6:18 pm

By the way, not sure I mentioned this already or not, but if you play it, play with Russian voices but English subtitles. English voices, although comical and STALKER-esque, detract from the atmosphere, plus the narratives in Russian sound so much more badass than the English one which is a bit whiny at times
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby clyzm » Sat Jun 01, 13 11:33 am

Last Light came out. About an hour in so far. Still the same old amazing Metro experience, but with way better graphics (somehow). I can't even play the game on Very High with SSAO because my HD 6970 can't handle it
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Allan » Sat Jun 01, 13 11:53 am

Did you go for the pre-order to get Ranger mode?
Allan
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Sat Jun 01, 13 2:41 pm

Hellz yeah Ranger Mode hard af though
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Aidan » Sun Jun 23, 13 4:46 am

Okay so I hate my fucking side mouse buttons and my entire review went down the shitter. I should really type them out on notepad before I post, but this is a bit better than my too long; didn't read post anyway...

Anyway (mostly everything I talk about is lastlight):
-Both games were great, but last light was significantly better

-Gameplay is great

-Hitboxes are to a tee (thickness of helmets determines full head penetration, every piece of armor and items attached to players are counted as separate objects you can hit, only thing that bothered me was the throwing knife because you can hit them in the foot and it's an instant kill lol)

-You have the choice to play guns-blazing/stealthy half of the game.

-I wish more games used the same gunplay method

-Impressive visuals

-Solid animations

-Everything you do throughout the game influences the ending. EVERYTHING.

-Both endings were great, and either could carry on a sequel. [spoiler]I could totally see 4A coming out with a sequel 5 times better in about 4-5 years where the dark one returns as an adult and introduces itself to Artyom's son or something badass like that where they work together in solving whichever idea 4A chooses for a future plot. With the entire world they've created, they can literally do anything with the series.[/spoiler]

*My Opinion: PLAY IN RANGER MODE, OR DONT PLAY AT ALL. SERIOUSLY. Ranger Hardcore is quite real in terms of damage/hitbox location, and they designed the gameplay mechanics so the player DOES NOT NEED A HUD. So don't be a bitch. Immerse yourself in the game, and you'll love it a lot better. You'll also walk out of the experience as a better gamer

Despite minor bugs; Massive outshout to 4A for being a Small Ukrainian studio with a small budget, and managing to produce a game that is ALOT better than most games out today.

James wrote:because apparently tessellation looks beastly on this game.

I know, old quote, but it's SOOO true. Tessellation helps with the immersion.

Only thing I think is bullshit is paying $5 for ranger mode. For the most part, these devs deserve the money so please buy these games.
Last edited by Aidan on Sun Jun 23, 13 5:25 am, edited 7 times in total.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Return to Gaming and Technology