Alpha Protocol

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Alpha Protocol

Postby James » Sat May 22, 10 11:05 am

This is an attempt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsidian_Entertainment

I thought this was never coming out.

New game by Obsidian Entertainment. Their first game that isn't a sequel to an existing series. Very similar to Deus Ex with more focus on the spy aspects. Worth checking out on any platform.

SEGA have been publishing a few gems lately, Bayonetta was awesome and I'm sure according to the thumbs up that this game is going to at least be worth a playthrough.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby James » Sat Nov 26, 11 1:16 pm

It had some really fucking great ideas, but it had annoying and broken gameplay. I still liked it.

It did some things better than any other game:
The dialog-wheel has never been done better. You had to think about each answer and listen to the answers. You never knew if a conversation would turn out to be really important for you later on. Sure, you could choose "Professional" every time, but it wasn't always the best answer - Bioware could really learn something from this.

Also, your actions had consequences. Not an angry email, not two extra lines of dialog, but stuff that actually changed the gameplay.

I prefer to look at the stuff it did really well, and try to ignore the often lousy gameplay.

criticism aside, Alpha Protocol's story and plot was great. Another from the likes of Planescape Torment and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. The gameplay is poor though... but one of the most memorable boss fights I have ever experienced in my life is within this title.

On the flip side, both Alpha Protocol and Deus Ex: Human Revolution share something in common:
Pistols are overpowered.
Last edited by James on Sat Nov 26, 11 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Return to Gaming and Technology