Bioshock Infinite

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Postby Tantalus » Mon May 06, 13 6:12 pm

Am I the only one that finds Bioshock's archetypal approach to philosophies a bit lame?

Keep in mind I've only played Bioshock 1 (because fuck 2, still looking at buying Infinite though), but I felt that Rapture seemed just a bit too Randian for my liking, almost to the point of comically so.

Don't get me wrong, it made a great atmosphere and a sorta good thinking exercise, but really lacked in depth (despite it being underwater HEHEHEHEHEHEH) and characters. System Shock seemed way more fleshed out in that aspect, although aesthetically way less: probably leaving more to the imagination.

Also, 'Atlas' sux compared to SHODAN.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Sat May 25, 13 12:24 pm

I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Sat May 25, 13 2:40 pm

Christ, if more people spent less time wondering about the philosophical ramifications of making videos games we might actually get good video games.

I am a designer. I design things. Some of these things some might call art, since that's a subjective notion I can't really disagree with their view, but I don't spend half my goddamn life pondering on it, I just go out and design shit.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Siva » Wed May 29, 13 3:05 am

Magniir wrote:Christ, if more people spent less time wondering about the philosophical ramifications of making videos games we might actually get good video games.

Are you sure?

I surmise we would just get ugly videogames with no value at all. Since the entirety of the flaws we are discussing here in Bioshock Infinite are to do with the gameplay mechanics, yet plebs such as myself are capable of enjoying the game despite the flaws in the mechanics, if the designer behind it had not worried as to the philosophical questions behind the game (and I have fucking checked, he did) then we would just end up with broken shells of videogames, like people keep telling me that Dear Esther game is

after googling it i found out ken also worked on system shock as the lead writer etc, if he had such a prominent position on the original fucking game's development, then why the fuck by now would he have gotten any worse
Last edited by Siva on Wed May 29, 13 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby Psychotic » Wed May 29, 13 5:01 am

I meant "games as art" specifically. Pushing the envelope is nothing new but arguing whether games are art or not hasn't particularly earned as much.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Aidan » Wed May 29, 13 5:43 am

Art is such a liquid term, and really has no proper modern definition. It's like arguing religion, or politics.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Siva » Wed May 29, 13 8:42 am

Aidan wrote:Art is such a liquid term, and really has no proper modern definition. It's like arguing religion, or politics.

I hope this hurts you as much as it did me,

and that the role of art in human life is to transform humans' metaphysical ideas by selective reproduction of reality into a physical form—a work of art—that one can comprehend and to which one can respond emotionally.
//..
Siva

Postby Psychotic » Wed May 29, 13 9:12 am

I think his point was like mine in that you can't define art so definitely. Art is not black and white. If an object could be truly defined as art we would not be having this discussion.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Siva » Wed May 29, 13 2:05 pm

Magniir wrote:I think his point was like mine in that you can't define art so definitely. Art is not black and white. If an object could be truly defined as art we would not be having this discussion.

When one is defeated one does usually lie down, it defeated our entire conversation, no?
Last edited by Siva on Wed May 29, 13 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
//..
Siva

Postby Aidan » Tue Jun 18, 13 2:58 am

Ruben wrote:
Aidan wrote:Art is such a liquid term, and really has no proper modern definition. It's like arguing religion, or politics.

I hope this hurts you as much as it did me,

and that the role of art in human life is to transform humans' metaphysical ideas by selective reproduction of reality into a physical form—a work of art—that one can comprehend and to which one can respond emotionally.

Lmfao, I laughed aloud at that one.

Tantalus wrote:Am I the only one that finds Bioshock's archetypal approach to philosophies a bit lame?

No man, I agree. They do it to get the "THIS GAME IS SO DEEP" response from average gamers.

YEAH SO, I finally got around to playing/beating this game over the past couple days...

-Nice Visuals
-immersive
-Characters felt like actual characters
-Theme was cool
-It was fun

-Wolf in sheep's clothing mindless call of duty bloodbath (Granted the Dynamic Combat with skylines)
-Ending was an (unnecessary) mindfuck. It seemed as if they were trying too hard to make the game complex (cue philosophical hipster on armchair with 50's cut and large big framed glasses explaining art)
-Plothole: e.g. in the land of lighthouses, which dimension are they in?
-Did not feel open-world like the first game
-All handyman encounters are scripted. No random encounters like the first Bioshock (which I thought was cool)
-All vigors were pretty much plasmids, and half of them sucked ass
-Felt like most maps were Arenas
-Hard mode was too easy

I MUST SAY THOUGH THIS GAME IS AMAZING ON SHROOMS.

7/10
Last edited by Aidan on Tue Jun 18, 13 3:10 am, edited 7 times in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby ynnaD » Tue Jun 18, 13 8:10 pm

Ignored all the posts because i started playing this today for the first time, looking forward to getting into it
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby Aidan » Tue Jun 18, 13 8:45 pm

ynnaD wrote:Ignored all the posts because i started playing this today for the first time, looking forward to getting into it

If you've just started, make sure you play the game in hard.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Wed Jun 19, 13 11:31 am

Rupert The DRM Fairy wrote:-Characters felt like actual characters

Aside from being completely unbelievable?
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Thu Jun 20, 13 1:42 am

James wrote:
Rupert The DRM Fairy wrote:-Characters felt like actual characters

Aside from being completely unbelievable?

The Scripted Characters. My bad.
Aidan
CandyMan

Previous

Return to Gaming and Technology