Virtual PC emulation

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Virtual PC emulation

Postby Gishank » Fri Aug 13, 10 7:19 pm

I've recently upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate from Home Premium to help me study towards my MCTS qualification. I have two questions in regards to the Virtual PC feature of Ultimate, which I hope someone here knows... lol
Naturally I know that i'd probs be best off using something like server 2008, but as I can't acquire that it's the next best thing.

1)
How would I access the VHD for a virtual machine *without* launching that virtual machine itself?

2)
I created a virtual machine, and began installing Ubuntu from an ISO image though this took ages I finally managed to install it. Unfortuently however Ubuntu takes ages to load, runs very sluggishly and for some reason doesn't want to recognise my router or internet connection.

I know you'll probs tell me to do a dual-boot or something, though I wish to be able to access linux and learn from it as I see fit. So any help with actually fixing the connectivity and sluggishness issues would be appreciated. Or unless there is a better Linux package out there that could be suggested.
Gishank
Forum Super Hero

Postby Dae » Fri Aug 13, 10 8:57 pm

Gishank wrote:sluggishness issues would be appreciated.

Get Parallels or VirtualBox.

I run Windows under Parallels on OS X and it's very smooth with all of the Aero effects and 3D stuff (except games). Ubuntu should be much, much faster.
Dae
Alpha

Postby Gishank » Fri Aug 13, 10 9:04 pm

Yeah, but naturally i'm looking for a free & legal alternative. As I had to upgrade to Ultimate and purchased Microsoft office 2010 Home & Office i'm a little strapped for cash...
Gishank
Forum Super Hero

Postby Dae » Fri Aug 13, 10 9:11 pm

Well, try VirtualBox — that one is free.
Dae
Alpha

Postby James » Fri Aug 13, 10 10:12 pm

I really hate it when people post non dx technical issues in this part of the forum.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Tantalus » Fri Aug 13, 10 10:48 pm

You've not assigned enough resources to the virtual machine...

Furthermore, an OS needs a driver, give it one.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Gishank » Sat Aug 14, 10 9:15 am

I assigned 2GB of RAM & a VHD of 100GB to the Virtual Machine, which I assume is more than enough for a Linux based OS. -- Also, shouldn't Ubuntu come with the neccessary drivers it requires to run efficiently? >_>

EDIT;
In addition, i'll have a look in to VirtualBox... Thanks for the info.
Last edited by Gishank on Sat Aug 14, 10 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gishank
Forum Super Hero

Postby Dae » Sat Aug 14, 10 10:53 am

Gishank wrote:Also, shouldn't Ubuntu come with the neccessary drivers it requires to run efficiently? >_>

yes it does. Ubuntu is pretty fast
Dae
Alpha

Postby Tantalus » Sat Aug 14, 10 11:04 am

Gishank wrote:I assigned 2GB of RAM & a VHD of 100GB to the Virtual Machine, which I assume is more than enough for a Linux based OS. -- Also, shouldn't Ubuntu come with the neccessary drivers it requires to run efficiently? >_>

EDIT;
In addition, i'll have a look in to VirtualBox... Thanks for the info.
Yeeees, but they're not specific drivers now, are they? They're most likely generic drivers which aren't as well optimised for your set-up.

Look around Google for about 5 minutes and you'll find better ones.

Also, Ubuntu usually does have issues with wireless connections. Again, Google it for a guide.
Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Gishank » Sat Aug 14, 10 12:00 pm

It's not a wireless connection, it is wired. So if I can't exactly get on the internet with ubuntu and if I can't access the VHD externally, I can't install additional drivers. lol
Gishank
Forum Super Hero

Postby Tantalus » Sat Aug 14, 10 12:10 pm

Uhhhh, download through Windows and save to the VHD partition?
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Gishank » Sat Aug 14, 10 12:27 pm

Tantalus wrote:Uhhhh, download through Windows and save to the VHD partition?

Windows 7's Virtual PC uses actual physical image files for its HDD's, and I have no method of accessing them.

(Tried mounting it as an additional virtual drive, yet it hates me - Claims thatit's unrecognised file system for some reason, yet the XP VHD works fine) :()
Last edited by Gishank on Sat Aug 14, 10 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gishank
Forum Super Hero

Postby Dae » Sat Aug 14, 10 1:25 pm

Tantalus wrote:Also, Ubuntu usually does have issues with wireless connections. Again, Google it for a guide.

AFAIK guest virtual machines run on virtual hardware, emulated by the virtualization program. They don't have direct access to the hardware unless you enable this option. There shouldn't be any problems with drivers.
Dae
Alpha

Postby Gishank » Mon Aug 16, 10 9:23 am

It would appear VirtualBox doesn't like me... I constantly recieve an error detailing that AMD-V is disabled when attempting to launch a virtual machine. So >_<

EDIT;
Only 'fixes'/'workarounds' for the issue, exist for linux's VirtualBox apparently.

(And note, this is with AMD-V enabled in BIOs so. \=)

And another EDIT;
Managed to get it to work after disabling it in BIOs, rebooting then enabling it in BIOs so. yeah lol
Last edited by Gishank on Mon Aug 16, 10 9:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gishank
Forum Super Hero

Return to Gaming and Technology