Mass Effect 3

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Postby Psychotic » Sun Mar 18, 12 2:27 am

According to the wiki, Joker apparently has near a zettabyte of "explicit images".

That's a billion terrabytes. What the hell would you do with all that? Or, more likely, how high quality would any images and videos be in that time era?
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Psychotic » Sun Mar 18, 12 12:24 pm

So 28 hours later and yeah, just as confused as I was previously.

If they had used the originally planned storyline then I'd probably understand it a bit better but there's so many unanswered questions and just some really weird shit being incepted into the game that it's just bloody annoying. Worst off is that they apparently thought we didn't "need" some of the missing information.

[spoiler]The kid, for example, pisses me off. I'd go into detail but it'd take too long, so simply saying "the kid pisses me off" will suffice.[/spoiler]

Oh and yeah, all that usual stuff about "all ending's = bad endings", but we should all know that by now.

Oh well. At least the multiplayer's decent and playable, I guess? And I did enjoy putting a bullet in Kai Leng's head, as pointless as his character ultimately felt to me (he was nothing more than another Cerberus lackey who BioWare had given a name).

It's not a game I'm likely to play again, just because of the disappointing ending. Even though the overall gameplay is far superior to Mass Effect 2's (in my opinion), I'd rather just play the first game again, since it's storyline is better than the other two overall. It's just far more satisfying to play because of said storyline.

[e] Uh, excuse the double post.

[e2] These intrigue me:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic ... /9727423/1

http://w11.zetaboards.com/Theorycraftng ... 7688087/1/

Though the "BioWare/Player Indoctrination Theory" (link is a brief description of the theory) is pretty fucking out of it. Funny and interesting as heck to read but you'd have to be some unique kind of crazy and paranoid to actually believe it.

What would BioWare have to gain from that? It only makes sense if BioWare release any further DLC (aka: the rumours of "The Truth" DLC are true), and that would probably just anger gamers even more. I'm sure many would sigh a huge bout of relief but ultimately, this would just make me hate them even more (and remember, I already consider them dead to me).

BioWare could never actually release any DLC alluring to any form of "hallucination". They could market it as "alternate endings" but it wouldn't matter. If they ever released any type of DLC that allures to any type of popular theory (such as this one), the public backlash would they would receive would probably be much worse than the outrage caused by the original endings themselves.

Some might like it, but they'd still be effectively alienating and giving the big middle finger to all their fans. It'd be goddamn insulting.

Excuse the multiple edits, I'm mostly updating and reading more theories/speculation simultaneously. I don't think most of them are true though. I'm paranoid, but not that paranoid. It mostly just seems way too complicated for BioWare to even bother trying. Not to mention there's plenty of other games that have/had just as popular fanbase as Mass Effect does.
Last edited by Psychotic on Sun Mar 18, 12 2:33 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Wed Mar 21, 12 8:22 am

I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Wed Mar 21, 12 9:07 am

How does one write a post where your only response is laughter?

That's what happened.
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Wed Mar 21, 12 8:43 pm

19:36 - bioware does it, yet again.: http://pastebin.com/i2cNVDp4 possibly real
19:37 - bioware does it, yet again.: http://pastebin.com/ZV2QhViG
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Shinobi » Wed Mar 21, 12 10:13 pm

From what I gather the ending is shit, correct?

Having not played ANY of the games, I'm a tad confused... do I NEED to play ME1 to fully enjoy ME2 and same for ME2/3?? Basically will I play ME2 then play ME1 and wish I'd played it first??

Cause I have ME2 and as of about 5 minutes ago ME3, but considering playing them in order, because I've heard the ending in ME2 can be quite good. Opinions, please?
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Shinobi
Master

Postby Spiderbot01 » Wed Mar 21, 12 10:27 pm

Play all three. But don't play the last 15 minutes of 3.
<center>------</center><center>
Image</center>
<center>Image</center><
Spiderbot01
Alpha

Postby James » Wed Mar 21, 12 11:16 pm

Don't play the first 22 hours of ME1, play from Vimire onwards, play all ME2 content including DLC missions, play ME3 and pretend the plot doesn't exist like in ME3, laugh with us at the last hour of ME3.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Siva » Wed Mar 21, 12 11:57 pm

If you have all three just start from the beginning

It makes the most sense that way
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby Psychotic » Thu Mar 22, 12 12:15 am

http://gamepolitics.com/2012/03/21/biow ... t-3-ending

Muzyka seems to like trying to defend his game by pointing to the industry critics (like IGN, GameSpot, etc) and saying that because they like it, it must be good!

Any gamer who isn't a complete idiot knows that's a load of bull. I haven't read a single review in the past few years that hasn't been completely and utterly biased. The last one I read that gave the game a glaringly bad review got the reviewer fired (according to the man himself).

He's also making the assumption that the majority of people like the game, when he has no way to prove that. Several million copies of the game were sold but I would wager that less than 5% of those people actually post about their experiences online.

I'd say it's a case of the vocal minority complaining about Mass Effect 3's ending but considering there's over 50,000 people who don't like the ending, I'd say that's enough to warrant some form of response. That doesn't include the people who simply don't post their opinions online.

Other than that, I never liked the fact people always refer to him as "Dr". Just a small pet peeve on my part, nothing really important. Yes, I understand he has a medical doctorate, but it doesn't exactly mean much when you don't do anything with it, nor will you ever whilst you're working in the gaming industry.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Shinobi » Thu Mar 22, 12 1:19 am

Booted ME3 after not playing any of the others. Took me ages going through menus.... so...

Recommendations, please:-

Difficulty,
Story/combat mode (forget the actual names of the options)
Psychological profile...

Don't know where to start, never been presented with this many options!

Speaking of options... where are the standard advanced graphics options one would expect from a big-title game like this??
Last edited by Shinobi on Thu Mar 22, 12 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Shinobi
Master

Postby Psychotic » Thu Mar 22, 12 4:43 am

"Action" mode means that the game skips some cinematics and dialogue (mostly lore-related) whilst retaining all the combat. "Roleplaying" or "story" mode keeps everything, more or less.

Any dialogue option that would result in gaining Paragon or Renegade rep still requires you make a choice, and any dialogue option that can lead to you doing a Paragon or Renegade action also requires you make a choice.

Action mode doesn't change the game that much.

The psychological profiles are a bit different, though. If you import a save then anyone who didn't die in ME2 or ME1 will make, at the bare minimum, a cameo appearance in ME3. However, the psychological profiles all have certain characters marked as dead. Two of the options decide whether Ashley or Kaiden is dead, and the other one makes both of them marked as dead.

These aren't game-breaking choices, I recommend choosing the one that saves Kaiden or Ashley, depending on who you like more, as you'll actually get to use that character. The third option just kills them so it's not entirely beneficial, in my experience.

To see which characters die you can check out the memorial plaque on the Normandy, when you get on it.

[e] Oh, and the in-game video options are pretty shit. Use the separate config program (found in the installation folder) to better customise the game. Honestly, there isn't much to change, other than a few options related to shadows, AA and textures (and I think the AA options are little more than an on/off switch).
Last edited by Psychotic on Thu Mar 22, 12 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Thu Mar 22, 12 5:54 am

I'd personally say quit the game and start from ME1.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Thu Mar 22, 12 6:07 am

James wrote:I'd personally say quit the game and start from ME1.

And then never play ME3. Ever. :|
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Fri Mar 23, 12 8:13 am

Last edited by James on Fri Mar 23, 12 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Fri Mar 23, 12 10:02 am

"Besides, what about the endings already available? he asks. Won’t they be cheapened by a new ending?"

I don't see how this point matters at all. Those who want the ending changed don't care if alternate endings will "cheapen" the old ones, because they think the old ones suck. Nothing is lost to them if the old ones die.
Psychotic
Master

Postby ynnaD » Fri Mar 23, 12 10:53 am

James wrote:http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/03/22/is-bioware-setting-a-dangerous-precedent-by-considering-alternative-endings/

lol infamous 2, so bad.

I don't wanna read the article incase i spoil ME3 , but why Infamous 2 so bad :oops:
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby Psychotic » Fri Mar 23, 12 11:25 am

ynnaD wrote:
James wrote:http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/03/22/is-bioware-setting-a-dangerous-precedent-by-considering-alternative-endings/

lol infamous 2, so bad.

I don't wanna read the article incase i spoil ME3 , but why Infamous 2 so bad :oops:

There's no real spoilers in it, to be honest.

Reading Moriarty's claim might contain spoilers, though.

[e] This is how I think BioWare feels about us:

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=312
Last edited by Psychotic on Fri Mar 23, 12 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Sat Mar 24, 12 5:54 am

Two things, http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 ... ournalism/

And Straight from the mouth of my favourite WRPG developer:

Chris Avellone

Avellone is Obsidian’s Creative Director, Chief Creative Officer and a co-owner at the studio. His game credits include Fallout 2, Icewind Dale II, Star Wars: KOTOR II, Neverwinter Nights 2, Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas, and F:NV’s DLC.

“Games should take advantage of feedback and using it for DLC changes and sequel changes. I feel BioWare does this from game to game already, and it’s the reason that some companions have achieved the prominence and romance options in the games that they do because the players strongly responded to those characters—and I’ll be blunt, we as narrative designers have no idea how a character’s going to be received, and “breakout” characters we envision may end up not being that at all once the game is released into the wild.

Most importantly, game development is an iterative process. Our goal is to entertain our players. No one knows more about what they consider “fun” than the player themselves. While you can’t please everyone, there are iterations that make sense to do in DLC content and sequels. As a case study, the DLC process from Fallout: New Vegas allowed us to collate all the weapon feedback from FNV and adjust it, and it also allowed us to take a long look at what gameplay elements and mods people were making for New Vegas and incorporate that into the narrative and quest lines. The best example is we noticed that people were making a LOT of homebase mods. So, we designed a good chunk of Old World Blues to specifically revolve on you making a new homebase in New Vegas with all the improvements people were pointing out. Even better, we were able to make it part of the story and the characters. Everybody wins, and people seemed to really enjoy it based on the fan (and press) response—but the catch is, we never would have thought to do that without analyzing the fan response and taking that into account.”

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/23/mass- ... ers-think/
Last edited by James on Sat Mar 24, 12 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Sat Mar 24, 12 9:38 am

Honestly, I wouldn't mind "mini-reviews", where essentially you're told basic features of the game, maybe a list of some advantages and disadvantages and that's about it.

Review systems are broken and most are completely arbitrary. There's also no set "standard" within the community so there's no consistency. An 8 on one site could mean a great game, but it could mean a really shit one on another site.

Also, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzYLTbQ ... re=related
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Sun Mar 25, 12 11:44 am

Game journalists attacking Forbes bloggers.

Game journalism gets told.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Sun Mar 25, 12 7:25 pm

Forbes confirmed for best journalism ever
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Psychotic » Sun Mar 25, 12 11:49 pm

Journalists sound butt-hurt because someone's calling them out on their bullshit.

[e] Also, this:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/24/child ... ct-3s-end/
Last edited by Psychotic on Mon Mar 26, 12 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Aidan » Mon Mar 26, 12 12:56 am

James wrote:lol infamous 2, so bad.

The Fences >:(

I'm going to start playing ME again, I quit playing about a sixth through the second. I'll give it another go though.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Wed Mar 28, 12 7:13 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MlatxLP-xs[/youtube]

Decent fan analysis. Acknowledges characters.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby ynnaD » Mon Apr 02, 12 11:40 am

Price already down to the 23 quid mark.

Seen a lot of scathing reviews of the ending too, still havn't played it myself, sorta worried about it now
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby Psychotic » Mon Apr 02, 12 11:46 am

BioWare are apparently going to change the ending.

It's a blessing and a curse, really. If they outright change the whole ending then it may set a dangerous precedent in the games industry, where essentially any feature consumers don't like they can merely bitch enough and have it changed for little to no cost to them but thousands of dollars worth of cost to the creators.

I don't want them to change the whole ending, personally. I want them to expand upon it, answer the questions that weren't answered. I would also like my choices throughout the games to be meaningful, though that might require drastic changes to the game.
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Fri Apr 06, 12 6:09 pm

I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Fri Apr 06, 12 7:03 pm

James wrote:19:36 - bioware does it, yet again.: http://pastebin.com/i2cNVDp4 possibly real
19:37 - bioware does it, yet again.: http://pastebin.com/ZV2QhViG

Now we can say they're real.
Last edited by Psychotic on Fri Apr 06, 12 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Aidan » Fri Apr 06, 12 8:59 pm

Do you think they'll make a not-broken version with a good ending and no hologram kid?

-cuz... I can wait to buy it if they do.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming and Technology