Mass Effect 3

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Postby Siva » Sun Mar 04, 12 8:54 pm

HOW MANY TEAM MEMBERS CAN WE ROLL WITH AGAIN?

I NEED THREE

EDI GARRUS AND PROTHEAN
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby Psychotic » Sun Mar 04, 12 9:04 pm

clyzm wrote:It astounds me how BioWare went from the brilliantly-done Suicide Mission at the end of ME2 to... this. I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

It's hardly surprising, however. They've gone downhill severely, and there is very little hope of them ever climbing back over it anytime soon.

Still, one can hope, right?
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Sun Mar 04, 12 9:11 pm

Confirmed:
    Liara - Adept
    Garrus - Infiltrator
    EDI - Engineer? (Bio/energy)
    Tali - Engineer (Hacking/tech)
    James Vega - Soldier (Tank)
    Virmire Survivor
    • Kaidan - Sentinel
    • Ashley - Soldier (Damage dealer)
    Prothean - Vanguard?

James and Garrus can also use the M-76 Revenant. http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Revenant

I think Grunt can be unlocked, there's a lot of flags for him in the galaxy awareness thing. Maybe will be here as DLC.
Last edited by James on Sun Mar 04, 12 9:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Sun Mar 04, 12 9:28 pm

Well, at least the two peeps I always use (for familiarity reasons - Garrus/Tali) are there.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby ynnaD » Sun Mar 04, 12 11:31 pm

Magniir wrote:Well, at least the two peeps I always use (for familiarity reasons - Garrus/Tali) are there.

There's my party!
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby Psychotic » Mon Mar 05, 12 12:14 am

We can rest easy knowing ME3 won't be completely bad!
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Mon Mar 05, 12 12:27 am

My Vanguard partners were like this:

ME1:
Wrex tanking with both assault rifles and shotgun maxed out.
Garrus sniping with masters in electronics and decryption.
My extra skill was Singularity.

ME2:
(Miranda before unlocking) Thane with heavy warp. Mordin for Horizon Collector Ship, Derelict Reaper missions using heavy incinerate.
Garrus with heavy overload and concussion blast.
My skills were Inferno ammo, squad cyro ammo, heavy charge and Champion assault training for recharge time.
My extra skill was Slam for its low recharge time and synergy with warp, chose assault rifle training on Collector Ship.
Weapons used were Geth Shotgun, Matlock, Locust, Phalanx and Cain/Arc Projector.

ME3?:
Whomever has Warp.
Garrus.

The most exciting thing about ME3 for me is the gameplay that resembles ME2, the extra payoff is that it will lend a lot from your ME2 save including weapons, level system and armour. As for the story of ME3?, I just wish it had no plot like ME2 or something cryptic like Virimire in ME1 onwards.
Last edited by James on Mon Mar 05, 12 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Siva » Mon Mar 05, 12 12:29 am

All I need is my pistol and charge

Got me through the hardest difficulty with minimal deaths

If there's an enemy giving me a headache I let Garrus and Legion deal with it
//..
Siva

Postby James » Mon Mar 05, 12 12:34 am

You can literally just arm yourself with any weapon as any class in ME3 I believe, less equipment = boost for mobility.

Also speaking of ME3, the multi-player demo was simple and fun.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNwzXY4E0Qg[/youtube]
Last edited by James on Mon Mar 05, 12 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Mon Mar 05, 12 1:19 am

Ah yes, forgot it's going to have a multiplayer mode. That's something I've been wanting for a few of BioWare's games, but I always fear it'll end up compromising the singleplayer quality too much to be worth it.

James wrote:My Vanguard partners were like this:

As a Vanguard mine were actually pretty similar, though I changed from mission to mission, depending on what had to be done.

I don't give a rats what anyone else says. I had fun with my Vanguard on Insanity mode.
Last edited by Psychotic on Mon Mar 05, 12 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psychotic
Master

Postby clyzm » Mon Mar 05, 12 2:53 am

I guess they saw their ME3 preorder sales skyrocket and went apeshit
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby James » Mon Mar 05, 12 7:36 am

So I've been making Garrus into a renegade, because Mass Effect's system is bullshit, and Renegade isn't about being evil than it is more about getting the job done. But apparently if you go the paragon route in ME2, including if you spare Sidonis in the Garrus loyalty mission in that game... [spoiler]He helps get Garrus' dad and sister off Palaven. I don't have a source for this though.

It is a silly Bioware thing but it is either vengeance for the betrayed 10 or info you might not know about to save Garrus' family.[/spoiler]

I choked up a little, I think I'm attached to Garrus like that. Garrus is the best character in the series for me because he can be moulded and shares a similar choice system like the player, further if you notice his past experiences and choices are similar the ones you take yourself.
Last edited by James on Mon Mar 05, 12 8:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Tue Mar 06, 12 5:40 am

Tali's face is shown in ME3

[spoiler]she's a human with a couple minimalist wire vein things a la anna navarre[/spoiler]

Also Garrus

[spoiler]dies in all but the most paragon of endings

[spoiler]rather suddenly too[spoiler]no glory[spoiler]bioware[/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Last edited by clyzm on Tue Mar 06, 12 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby James » Tue Mar 06, 12 7:55 am

And Prothean [spoiler]is awesome. Seriously, Javik rules.

They can scan memory through DNA and he is an wise ass who wants to kill. Simple as fuck and it works.

Protheans themselves are a very harsh race who enslaved other races intelligent enough.

Javik on the state of Bioware's writing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4UwV7iYH_I#t=3m31s

Javik on how hopeless we are:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUnodiATsKI#t=12m50s[/spoiler]
Last edited by James on Tue Mar 06, 12 8:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Siva » Tue Mar 06, 12 9:17 am

clyzm wrote:Also Garrus

dgaf I'm Paragon all day baby me Garrus and INSERT FAGGOT will ride out all day
//..
Siva

Postby James » Tue Mar 06, 12 9:53 am

My Shepard is a fierce no-nonsense bitch who gets the job done with guns talking no matter what but tries to minimalise civilian casualities, she is also supportive, defendant of her crew but very formal and strict.

Editing your saves and playing with max paragon (charm) / renegade (intimidate) points from the beginning is the only way to make this black or white game, black and white. Better than only one of each, but lol Bioware cannot do gray.

Sadly, ME3 has a lot of illusion of choice. But the consequences from ME1 and ME2 can be severe I believe.
Last edited by James on Tue Mar 06, 12 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Siva » Tue Mar 06, 12 10:54 am

I'll be fair on them because doing grey properly means doubling or tripling the workload on the writers, adding more art assets here and there, voice acting is expensive, etc.
Last edited by Siva on Tue Mar 06, 12 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
//..
Siva

Postby James » Tue Mar 06, 12 10:59 am

Maybe they should have hired good writers and let the decent head writer get his way before losing him and shoe horning a terrible loose ends to finish off his work.
Also proper animators or at least update them from 2006/2007.
Also learnt how to hire Unreal engine level designers who can create Skyboxes for ME3.
Also hired the original voice actors of past characters (Mordin and Legion in ME3 have different voice actors.) and not hire a local actor named Mark Meer for the starring role in a rich cast with supporting characters voiced by names like Keith David.

They had 3 years to develop ME2 and developed ME3 for 3.5 (prior to ME2 release), they had more than enough time for some of these things.

Sadly this isn't exclusive to Mass Effect, no Bioware game has effectively done gray properly. See KOTOR2, Fallout series, Planescape Torment, Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines, Alpha Protocol.
Last edited by James on Tue Mar 06, 12 12:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Siva » Tue Mar 06, 12 11:16 am

James wrote: KOTOR2

Obsidian

James wrote:Fallout series

Interplay, Obsidian, Bethesda

James wrote:Vampire: The Masquerade

Uhh... Troika IIRC

James wrote:Alpha Protocol

Also Obsidian

James wrote:Planescape Torment

Wasn't that Interplay too

u trollin me y/n i know u know better than dis
//..
Siva

Postby James » Tue Mar 06, 12 12:12 pm

I apologise, I meant examples of non Bioware games who did gray correctly. But even then wasn't that obvious?

(Also note 5 [2 Fallout games] of those games are written by the same person.)
Last edited by James on Tue Mar 06, 12 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Tue Mar 06, 12 12:49 pm

The Prothean is a badass in this game with a slightly Jamaican accent, indicating that the Protheans are, in fact, Rastafarians [citation needed]
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby James » Tue Mar 06, 12 12:57 pm

Sounds more Afrikan (Kenyan?) than Jamaican but an easy mistake to make. We lovingly call him Mr. Eko (LOST character) in our friend circle.

Puffin da biotic erb wit day commanda

edit: entering a competition to win ME3 for the multi-player alone.
Last edited by James on Tue Mar 06, 12 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
James
Alpha

Postby James » Tue Mar 06, 12 9:04 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQvPFNjxxU0[/youtube]

[spoiler]This video wasn't far off at all.[/spoiler]
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Tue Mar 06, 12 9:22 pm

James wrote:So I've been making Garrus into a renegade, because Mass Effect's system is bullshit, and Renegade isn't about being evil than it is more about getting the job done.

This is pretty much how it is with most games these days. Even the games that try to be "varying shades of grey" don't really add leagues of depth to the game, not in any modern game, in any case.

I just go the route that lets me either be the biggest asshole (ala Mass Effect) or a huge smartass (ala Dragon Age 2) because I find it more amusing than the alternative.

James wrote:Sadly this isn't exclusive to Mass Effect, no Bioware game has effectively done gray properly.

Yeah, but anyone smart enough should realise that BioWare's storylines haven't actually changed dramatically over the years (they're all a "same face, new makeup" sort of thing), so it's hardly a surprise that they fail at making a "grey" game.

[e] War Assets and Readiness: How Multiplayer Affects Your Ending

Total bullshit.

As melodramatic as this sounds: BioWare is officially dead to me.

They used to be my fave developer but frankly, ever since EA brought them out they've been utter shit (which honestly, wasn't ever a surprise).

I'm not blaming EA for BioWare's problems, mind you, because it doesn't matter who's to blame for such a shitty decision, just that such a shitty decision was made to begin with.

Alongside online activation, what really ruins gaming for me is the whole advent of multiplayer modes. Sure, it's fun to play multiplayer every now and again, but being forced to play it to get a better ending is pretty goddamn pathetic.

[e2]

clyzm wrote:Tali's face is shown in ME3

Doesn't happen, supposedly. But I wouldn't be surprised if this does:

http://www.nerfnow.com/comic/image/702

Of course, there is this picture which was found posted randomly on the BioWare social forum (tagged because I can't exactly confirm if it's true or not).

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Last edited by Psychotic on Tue Mar 06, 12 11:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Wed Mar 07, 12 12:12 am

This is the real Tali picture.

[spoiler]Prepare to rage
[spoiler]Image

It makes me ill, why?, because Mass Effect is a series of uninspired humanoid aliens and they simply lazily made the Quarians as human as possible.

I think you get this as a gift from Tali, there's no in-game rendering of this.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Magniir wrote:As melodramatic as this sounds: BioWare is officially dead to me.

It isn't melodramatic, I find it justified. Personally I felt they changed with the first Mass Effect because it had barely any roleplay, it was just conversations and guns. DA1 was awfully written but a nice throwback to the classic RPGs, Mass Effect 2 was a better videogame than Mass Effect but an even worse story. All downhill after Dragon Age 2...
Last edited by James on Wed Mar 07, 12 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Wed Mar 07, 12 12:17 am

Ashley has a secret.

[spoiler]http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/5411/article/bioware-institutes-zero-tolerance-policy-on-communit%20y-forums/[spoiler]She's a transsexual.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Is this fake? Somebody please tell me this is fake.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby James » Wed Mar 07, 12 12:24 am

I'm not sure about that yet.

-

I wanna discuss the roles of Allers and Cortez.

Characters created for the sole purpose of homosexual lust is bad news. Writing these sex objects in game is not mature or a sign of an accepting industry, it is very immature, exploitation and sickening.

My male homosexual friend:

My main issue is this: this video shows the male Shepard going to a bar whilst there is the major GALATIC threat of the Reapers destroying all sentient life.

This tells me that bioware is attempting to A) show that homosexuals are nothing but sex crazed people which is both INNCORRECT and WRONG(Enforce the horrid and awful stereotype that gay men all meet and fuck in clubs))
and B) that bioware is willing to cave in to the requests of people. (Going back on the statement that there would be no homosexual relationships in the mass effect franchise.)

This is compounded by the fact that the so called "Romance" is poorly written and feels very tacked on, as if the gay romance options were only added in quickly to appease those with rampantly vocal oppinions or to stir up some sort of pr buzz.

Same with the dead children, piss off Bioware.
Last edited by James on Wed Mar 07, 12 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Wed Mar 07, 12 12:51 am

James wrote:This is the real Tali picture.

[spoiler]Prepare to rage
[spoiler]Image

It makes me ill, why?, because Mass Effect is a series of uninspired humanoid aliens and they simply lazily made the Quarians as human as possible.

I think you get this as a gift from Tali, there's no in-game rendering of this.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

You know... I'm not angry, I'm just... disappointed.

Your points are kind of why I prefer the "medieval fantasy" (swords, elves, dwarves, dragons and shit - especially dwarves, hell yeah) genre over the "science fiction" genre.

The problem with trying to create an alien is that we have virtually nothing to base them off. Elves and dwarves, however, are pretty much humans that have slightly different features. All the races of a medieval fantasy tend to be of the same world, so it's reasonable to think they'd look similar to each other, but aliens are supposed to be from far away planets in far away galaxies. When someone thinks of an alien they think of something that doesn't even resemble a humanoid. Something that is completely out of this world (and isn't that the point?).

When you think of an alien, you think of something the likes of which has never been seen before, and trying to actually create "something the likes of which has never been seen before" isn't exactly easy, let me tell you!

But in saying that, as hard as it might be, I still completely agree with you. Giving the majority of the aliens in Mass Effect a humanoid structure just seems to be a complete hack. An easy way out, if you will.

James wrote:
Magniir wrote:As melodramatic as this sounds: BioWare is officially dead to me.

It isn't melodramatic, I find it justified. Personally I felt they changed with the first Mass Effect because it had barely any roleplay, it was just conversations and guns. DA1 was awfully written but a nice throwback to the classic RPGs, Mass Effect 2 was a better videogame than Mass Effect but an even worse story. All downhill after Dragon Age 2...

I liked Dragon Age: Origins because I played it with the expectations that EA would ruin it to some degree (as was my cynicism towards EA at the time, and I still retain some of it to a degree).

The problem I had was that I could never go the "easy way out" and push the blame entirely on EA's shoulders. However, don't think this as me defending EA by any means; I believe just as much of the blame can go towards BioWare as it does EA because the simple fact of the matter is they had the reputation and popularity to tell EA where to stick it when they were developing games. It doesn't matter if they let EA manipulate them or if they chose these retarded decisions of their own accord (the latter just makes them look worse), it's the fact that it stupid decisions happened in the first place.

My expectations for video games has lowered tremendously over the past 5 or so years, however. Where once I could pick a game that would tell me a fascinating story, I now pick up a game just to get 10-20 hours worth of enjoyment out of it. The whole "storytelling" aspect of most games is completely lost on me now, simply because the stories in the games are crap. I'd rather read a book (and I do now).

Because of these low expectations however, I can enjoy a game enough to know it was worth my $60 NZD (about $48 USD - damn good prices where I buy 'em from, standard prices range from $100-120 NZD).

It's depressing that it's come to that, however.

James wrote:Characters created for the sole purpose of homosexual lust is bad news. Writing these sex objects in game is not mature or a sign of an accepting industry, it is very immature, exploitation and sickening.

I was always supportive of homosexual romances in video games but honestly, if this is all it's come to, then there's still some serious work left to be done. Growing up? Hardly.

Of course, romances in video games are a load of crap, anyway. They're nothing but a cheap content filler that doesn't really do much towards progressing the storyline. Similar to the whole "good" and "asshole" dialogue options.
Last edited by Psychotic on Wed Mar 07, 12 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psychotic
Master

Postby clyzm » Wed Mar 07, 12 2:56 am

That photo of [spoiler]Tali[/spoiler] is, in fact, [spoiler]a stock photo.[spoiler]Seriously: http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/pho ... /123488108[/spoiler][/spoiler]
Last edited by clyzm on Wed Mar 07, 12 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Siva » Wed Mar 07, 12 2:59 am

clyzm wrote:That photo of [spoiler]Tali[/spoiler] is, in fact, [spoiler]a stock photo.[spoiler]Seriously: http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/pho ... /123488108[/spoiler][/spoiler]

//..
Siva

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming and Technology