The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Postby atrey65789 » Thu Mar 15, 12 11:29 pm

I think it has part of C++ in it and I know some of that so cool if so.
-A
atrey65789
Regular

Postby Psychotic » Thu Mar 15, 12 11:46 pm

The engine itself is made using C++, the scripting language Bethesda made for the Creation Kit is actually based more off Python than anything else.

It's called Papyrus and the CK's official website has quite a few tutorials on the topic.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby atrey65789 » Thu Mar 15, 12 11:50 pm

Ok, awesome.
-A
atrey65789
Regular

Postby Siva » Fri Mar 16, 12 8:51 am

Magniir wrote:scripting language Bethesda made for the Creation Kit is actually based more off Python than anything else.

Hory shit

It's my time to shine

brb modding skyrim
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby Psychotic » Fri Mar 16, 12 10:01 am

Protocol wrote:
Magniir wrote:scripting language Bethesda made for the Creation Kit is actually based more off Python than anything else.

Hory shit

It's my time to shine

brb modding skyrim

Create a good respec mod and I'll be your new BFF.

I actually have a ton of ideas that haven't been made (or work differently than current ideas) but I'm new to the Creation Kit and due to most of my ideas requiring scripting, I haven't really progressed very far.
Last edited by Psychotic on Fri Mar 16, 12 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Dex » Tue Mar 20, 12 2:02 pm

i've had the game for a while now, but still haven't played it proper
recommended mods?
Dex
Forum Hero

Postby Kaiden » Tue Mar 20, 12 2:19 pm

Midas magic, some alright spells in there, some are OP but others are just useful. There's sound mods and weather ones and such too but I haven't got any of those yet.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Tue Mar 20, 12 3:12 pm

I have over 60-something, I'll get some of my faves later.

Weapon mods are some of my favourites but can conflict with each other, so don't have too many of those.
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Tue Mar 20, 12 3:26 pm

Dex wrote:i've had the game for a while now, but still haven't played it proper
recommended mods?

Wait one and a half years after release and pirate all dlc and ask for mods then!
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Thu Mar 22, 12 3:21 am

Kaiden wrote:Midas magic, some alright spells in there, some are OP but others are just useful. There's sound mods and weather ones and such too but I haven't got any of those yet.

Most are OP.

Honestly, Skyrim was wrecked for me as soon as I downloaded a few mods. Certain things look out of place, and it feels to OP having a bazillion spells that all destroy everything. It's like an autistic festival of light that sends a giant dragon spiraling into my anus, and make me unsatisfied.

I feel sorry for those who haven't completed most of the game, and fell victim to downloading these shit/useless mods.

The only mods that are good are texture packs, few lighting mods, ambient sound mods. The rest are all shit.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Psychotic » Thu Mar 22, 12 4:38 am

You have an extremely close-minded view, mods are the very reason games like Oblivion had such a long life-span.

Obscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, for example, was one of the best damn mods for Oblivion. It made the game actually difficult, improved the crappy levelling system and loot scaling and loads of other problems. And you call mods like this "shit"?

Most texture packs are shit, to be honest. They add a few extra details, maybe enlarge them in Photoshop but that's not "high-definition", that's just enlarging a bloody photo and adding some lighting effects to it.

If it weren't for modders, many of the horrible nuances and bugs that weren't found/fixed by the developers would still exist, and some features that should've been added by default wouldn't exist, either.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Mastakilla » Thu Mar 22, 12 10:43 am

I agree with Magniir, OOO for Oblivion was amazing. I hope something similar comes out for Skyrim. I'm sure it will since you got FWE Fallout 3 which was also decent. I can see where Aidan is coming from though, some, if not alot of the mods do add things that are out of place. However not all mods do that and most of the good ones take a while to come out, I don't think there's a GREAT (gameplay changing) mod out there yet for Skyrim.

Alot of modders from Oblivion are proper lore whores and so with them you usually don't have to worry about things feeling out of place.

But even so, once you played Skyrim to pieces, the mods that do add stuff out of place aren't all that bad either.
Last edited by Mastakilla on Thu Mar 22, 12 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Thu Mar 22, 12 10:45 am

My God, FWE was glorious for FO3, it made me ignore the bad game and walk around everywhere without fast travel to take it all in. Shame the game is ruined by metro stations.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Thu Mar 22, 12 11:27 am

Yeah, I won't argue that there's a lot of saturation of semi-useless junk Skyrim mods, but that's always to be expected. The good mods out there make the entire experience so worth it.

Never heard of FWE until now, wish I had to be honest, might try it out whenever I get my FO3 copy back from me cousin (...now that I think about it, he may also have been borrowing my copy of DA:O and Borderlands... bloody hope so).

What I largely want for Skyrim is a "proper" respec mod, more-so because I use this No More Ability Perk Trees mod, and programs like the Perk Planner don't really work for it.

I also wouldn't mind a mod that removes level scaling, levelled loot and one that adds proper scaling for spells (so they scale much like weapons and armour does).

Here's a few of the mods I use that I highly recommend. Spoiler tag used so it's easier to skip my post:

[spoiler]SkyUI - The default UI sucks, this does a damn fine job at trying to fix it.

A Quality World Map - This is a bit immersion-breaking but the ability to see all the roads on the world map is a really nice boon. You can't imagine how many times I went inefficient routes without this. The Classic Paper style is less immersion-breaking and looks fantastic, if you ask me.

Deadly Dragons - Not necessary but frankly, the default dragons suck. If you're not gimping yourself and are using even a little bit of Smithing and Enchanting then you'll eventually be able to one-shot any dragon, even on Master. This mod fixes that. It also has craftable armour in the style of World of Warcraft "Tier" gear, it's a bit "meh" if you ask me (I have ideas for better).

WARZONES - Civil Unrest - The one thing I felt whilst playing Skyrim was underwhelmed. Underwhelmed because you're told to believe that the world is suffering a major civil war alongside a war with the dragons, but do you ever see this? Hah, not really. WARZONES was in Fallout, now it's in Skyrim. If your PC struggles with Skyrim now, don't get this.

Realistic Lighting - This mod goes great with most of the ENB mods you'll find around the net (I use Superb-ENB which is designed to work with this mod). Alters the lighting so it's more realistic (who'd have thought?). Darks actually become dark, lights become lighter.

Valdacil's Item Sorting - This is based off Headbomb's Better Sorting, which I used to use but hated it's naming convention and how it also done spells. This one doesn't. The sorting in general makes it so much easier to find stuff.

Complete Crafting Overhaul - This mod is actually a fix and what it aims to do is fix a lot of some of the weirder smithing plans out there. Many items require more materials (so it's realistic, but Smithing is already piss-easy to level by default) and some that weren't smithable are now (like faction armour).

Honourable Mentions:

Dragon Bone Weapon Pack - There's another one of these which I use in conjunction with this one, but the custom textures on this one are just epic. I don't necessarily "recommend" this, but only if you already have heaps of weapon mods (they'll end up conflicting due to how objects work in Skyrim).[/spoiler]

I use a bunch of other mods, but most are just quality-of-life things like a few fixes, a mod that adds laterns to cities

Oh, and Wyre Bash and BOSS are absolutely must-haves.
Last edited by Psychotic on Thu Mar 22, 12 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Thu Mar 22, 12 11:32 am

FWE and Mart's Mutant Mod (I think it is bundled with it now?) are brilliant, I love the old Fallout 1 and 2 enemies and the variety of stuff I fight compared to vanilla. There's also the survival aspect put into it and some hilarious new effects with drugs. I think I consumed a lot of MDMA and taken quite a bit of LSD in the game during fights, one time stepping over a nuke tripmine while on Speed.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Thu Mar 22, 12 11:47 am

Edited me post above with some of my fave mods.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Aidan » Fri Mar 23, 12 6:11 am

Thanks for the info & mod list guys <3

I'll have to try them. I too loved many Oblivion mods.. however, I'm just not feeling the skyrim mods at the moment :/

If they implemented items and abilities that you actually have to earn in some way shape or form, then perhaps I'd look at it in a different light.

I think it's the sense of accomplishment in my doing... I think I can't stand using a billion things I'm given without earning it.
Last edited by Aidan on Fri Mar 23, 12 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Psychotic » Fri Mar 23, 12 7:09 am

Aidan wrote:I think it's the sense of accomplishment in my doing... I think I can't stand using a billion things I've given without earning it.

I can understand this, and perfectly agree.

I use weapon packs like JaySuS Swords but the amount of work done to get something better than a Daedric Sword isn't much, and I don't like that.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Sim-sim » Sun Mar 25, 12 9:18 pm

I think one day there'll be a mode with oblivion story and all oblivion with skyrim graphics and physics cuz there's been a lot a talk among some of my friends that oblivion story and diversity of abilities and stuff was far better than that of skyrim....do you agree with me?
Sim-sim

Postby James » Sun Mar 25, 12 10:08 pm

Oblivion had a horrible story, not sure why someone would port that other before Morrowind considering the (ruined) landscape of Vvardenfell is in Skyrim's map.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Sun Mar 25, 12 11:41 pm

James wrote:Oblivion had a horrible story, not sure why someone would port that other before Morrowind considering the (ruined) landscape of Vvardenfell is in Skyrim's map.

http://morroblivion.com/
Psychotic
Master

Postby lfcjake » Mon Apr 02, 12 3:31 am

Anyone had this done to them yet? I installed the new update & it's just messed it up. :/

http://youtu.be/2bXWYMWhI6c
| Justice for the 96 |
Steam: lfcjake
lfcjake
Wannabe

Postby Psychotic » Mon Apr 02, 12 4:20 am

First thing I'd do is reduce the monitor refresh rate, see what happens.
Psychotic
Master

Postby lfcjake » Mon Apr 02, 12 11:04 am

Can't it run properly on a 120hz monitor?
| Justice for the 96 |
lfcjake
Wannabe

Postby Psychotic » Mon Apr 02, 12 11:19 am

I honestly don't know; I've never used a monitor with a refresh rate higher than 60 Hz.

What's your video card?
Psychotic
Master

Postby lfcjake » Wed Apr 04, 12 6:23 pm

I'd change the settings on the game, but I've lost the fucking thing. :x
| Justice for the 96 |
lfcjake
Wannabe

Postby Aidan » Wed Apr 04, 12 7:37 pm

lfcjake wrote:Can't it run properly on a 120hz monitor?

I run on a GTX580 and BenQ XL2410T 120Hz monitor.

No issues here whatsoever.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby lfcjake » Sun Apr 08, 12 11:06 pm

Installed it again, still the same problem. Don't understand at all, seems like it's only me that's having this, can't find anything on Google.

EDIT: It's also doing the same thing when I've set the monitor to 60hz.

*sigh*

EDIT 2: Nevermind, seems like it was the AMD drivers that were messing it up.
Last edited by lfcjake on Sun Apr 08, 12 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
| Justice for the 96 |
lfcjake
Wannabe

Postby UT » Sat Apr 14, 12 11:11 am

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abs_yGod5MQ]Skyrim Online[/youtube]

xD
Tim Sweeeeeeney<3
James wrote:Of course I do I'm living the dream!!!!

DJ wrote:wat dream

Chloe wrote:me, ofc
UT
Elite

Location: Action de déterminer avec précision le lieu de quelque chose.

Postby Psychotic » Sat Apr 14, 12 11:30 am

Hasn't been updated in a while but I love the idea of the Skyrim Online mod.

Not to mention Bethesda already announced a TES MMO, making SO rather pointless now.
Last edited by Psychotic on Sat Apr 14, 12 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psychotic
Master

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming and Technology