The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Postby James » Thu Dec 01, 11 10:07 pm

AND THAT IS WHY I BUMPED HAHAAAA
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby James » Sun Dec 25, 11 9:12 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvJtSx0_VlQ[/youtube]
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Forum World Cat » Sun Dec 25, 11 11:03 pm

Anyone play as Khajiit?
Forum World Cat
Wannabe

Postby Dex » Sun Dec 25, 11 11:38 pm

I do.
Dex
Forum Hero

Postby Professor Layton » Sun Dec 25, 11 11:46 pm

gr8 game

...once I got past the now seemingly-mandatory-for-nearly-all-games-released-in-2011 tweaking session to fix a shitload of mouseinput lag bullshit

But I'm enjoying it now
GrandpaTerran wrote:THIS MAP HAS BEEN POSTPONED FOR NOW I'LL RE-DEVELOP WHEN I HAVE COMPLETED MY MAPPING TRAINING
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby Aidan » Mon Dec 26, 11 5:35 am

Yeah, I think they fixed the random crashing now.

Thank god.

-and no, it was not the audio related crashing issue.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Professor Layton » Wed Dec 28, 11 4:30 am

Never had any crashes whatsoever. (That being said, from past experiences I've learned not to get a game until it's been out for a while)

Ironically the smaller the area, the lower my fps gets. It gets a little choppy for me in a small little cavern, while outdoors is no problem at all.
GrandpaTerran wrote:THIS MAP HAS BEEN POSTPONED FOR NOW I'LL RE-DEVELOP WHEN I HAVE COMPLETED MY MAPPING TRAINING
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby Aidan » Wed Dec 28, 11 5:16 am

That's because there are more details, lighting, and polygons to render in smaller areas.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Professor Layton » Thu Dec 29, 11 11:26 pm

CAN YOU SAY BUMPMAPPING
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby Aidan » Fri Dec 30, 11 4:36 am

TESSELATIONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby clyzm » Thu Jan 19, 12 5:36 am

This game is, in all honesty, almost perfect.

The graphics are amazing, the detail they put into the world just simply astonishes me. Gameplay is crazy diverse. The story and lore of the townsfolk creates quite the quaint little atmosphere.

2011 was an amazing year for games.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Aidan » Thu Jan 19, 12 5:58 am

Yeah, it's a shame I've completed almost every quest.

I'll be waiting for the expansion.

I wish Bethesda would have done more with all the land they have. Caves and dungeons get so repetitive...

I also wish they'd make human interaction more lifelike. The atmosphere with nature, is quite alive, but can feel lonely when listening to the same dialogue, etc. numerous times from people around you.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Mastakilla » Thu Jan 19, 12 3:24 pm

I still prefer Oblivion, fully modded.

That's just me though, and once quality mods start pouring in for Skyrim, I'll lose my life once again. :P
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Thu Jan 19, 12 3:26 pm

clyzm wrote:2011 was an amazing year for games.

WHAT

Despite a few outstanding games, there was barely anything coming out that was worthwhile!
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Thu Jan 19, 12 9:01 pm

Mastakilla wrote:I still prefer Oblivion, fully modded.

That's just me though, and once quality mods start pouring in for Skyrim, I'll lose my life once again. :P

Ye, I found there was much more to do in Oblivion.

Although I do hear that the expansion for Skyrim is going to be twice as large as shivering isles.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby clyzm » Thu Jan 19, 12 10:32 pm

James wrote:
clyzm wrote:2011 was an amazing year for games.

WHAT

Despite a few outstanding games, there was barely anything coming out that was worthwhile!

The few outstanding ones made it worthwhile :p
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby clyzm » Tue Jan 24, 12 12:00 pm

Bump for glory. Mods do indeed fix (almost) every issue in the game, from the difficulty of fighting dragons (on master, with this one mod, it is absolutely downright horrific to fight them and one YOL- shout sends me sprinting away, cus it can drain health very very fast) to the practical features (like smithing).

I'm doing an absolute stealth walkthrough to see if I can play it like the Thief series and found it far, far too easy even on high difficulties (whose idea was it to make 30x damage for backstabs?)

And the game's perk system has some issues, destruction spells like Spark are absolutely WORTHLESS at higher levels unless you install a mod that scales them.

Enemies are pretty derp sometimes when it comes to stealth, guard with an arrow in his arm goes "MUST HAVE BEEN NOTHING"

Still, the handcrafted landscape style (still) amazes me. Best graphics of all time if you install a shitload of mods. First game ever that has me stopping in the middle of quests to take screenshots like some kind of tourist
Last edited by clyzm on Tue Jan 24, 12 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Professor Layton » Tue Jan 24, 12 12:16 pm

[spoiler="dark brotherhood"]The horse you get eventually is invincible and always aggros the dragons to the point where i can just shoot a bunch of arrows in the dragon in one go and kill it, it's kinda annoying me, anyone else had this?[/spoiler]

Stealth does seem to be a bit too strong yeah, even for ranged with the x3 perk. Like, killing undead the moment they get up from their graves to guarantee a stealthkill.
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby Aidan » Tue Jan 24, 12 4:30 pm

clyzm wrote:Still, the handcrafted landscape style (still) amazes me. Best graphics of all time if you install a shitload of mods. First game ever that has me stopping in the middle of quests to take screenshots like some kind of tourist

YES.

I have about 1000 screens now :oops:
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Tue Jan 24, 12 4:32 pm

I did the above with Alice: Madness Returns. The visuals of that game are utter brilliant.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Kaiden » Mon Feb 06, 12 5:18 am

Crashes every so often for me which can be pretty annoying. The menus sometimes lag as well and sometimes it just won't autosave at all. Also had to remap a few keys as some of the defaults were awful.

But other than that, enjoying it so far. Apart from the fact you can't ever change your perks, but that's pretty standard and I'm just used to games not punishing you for bad choices. I guess you get most of the perks you want by the end of it.
Last edited by Kaiden on Mon Feb 06, 12 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby James » Sat Feb 11, 12 12:25 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iX4tFDmrJ4[/youtube]
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Sat Feb 11, 12 3:57 pm

I've heard of this mod. What is it exactly?
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Shinobi » Wed Mar 14, 12 8:34 pm

about to begin playing this game.... never played any other elder scrolls games.... nor any game of this type before really.... any tips??
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Shinobi
Master

Postby atrey65789 » Wed Mar 14, 12 11:47 pm

Anybody got any idea how i can download the skyrim engine?
-A
atrey65789
Regular

Postby Psychotic » Thu Mar 15, 12 12:54 am

atrey65789 wrote:Anybody got any idea how i can download the skyrim engine?

I don't think you could get the engine itself, not without reverse-engineering the entire game.

Honestly, if you can't do what you want in the Creation Kit (including scripts) then it's probably not going to be possible without some third-party mod for said Kit, and Bethesda's SDK's are usually pretty powerful.

Bethesda themselves use the Creation Kit for much of the work they do on the game. I don't know how why they did with Skyrim's though, since they obviously modified it heavily for public release, since using it is so bloody annoying that I cannot see ANY company using it professionally.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby atrey65789 » Thu Mar 15, 12 1:44 am

I don't know. I see on modding websites mods that people made for skyrim... I would just wanna see if they used the engine
-A
atrey65789
Regular

Postby Psychotic » Thu Mar 15, 12 6:11 am

Ah, I see.

They use the Skyrim Creation Kit, which is free to download via Steam for anyone with a copy of Skyrim on Steam: http://www.creationkit.com/

The main mod I'm still waiting on is a decent respec mod. I'd do it but I'm a beginner at scripting and it requires an entirely new feature be added, which is why no one has really released an in-game version just yet (by default, the game can't tell how many perks you actually have, and there's no commands that let you give yourself an X amount of unspent perks or remove an X amount of perks).
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby atrey65789 » Thu Mar 15, 12 1:15 pm

Yeah, and The creators of skyrim created a WHOLE new scripting language just for that game too so thats harder.
-A
atrey65789
Regular

Postby Psychotic » Thu Mar 15, 12 10:22 pm

It's not as hard as you'd think.

It has differences to their previous engines, yes, but old users should still be relatively comfortable with learning Papyrus. It contains many of the features of the previous SDK's, so I'm told.
Psychotic
Master

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming and Technology