Guide for anyone wanting a gaming PC

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Postby Siva » Sat Sep 07, 13 8:51 am

Have to build yet another PC (like my 4th one in 2 years goddamn i keep fucking up)

AMD X6 Phenom build, yey or ney

I'm only doing it because I already have the mobo. That and six processors means I am more of a man and my penis is twice as long
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby Aidan » Sat Sep 07, 13 4:06 pm

clock speed?
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Siva » Sat Sep 07, 13 10:00 pm

Dr.Mordin wrote:clock speed?

no idea

going to liquid cool though
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby Allan » Sat Sep 07, 13 10:22 pm

Siva wrote:no idea

going to liquid cool though

I managed to get an X6 1090T to about 4.3GHz stable with OC on an air-cooled system. The tower started having secondary use as a radiator at that point, though.
Allan
Alpha

Postby Tantalus » Sat Jan 11, 14 12:56 am

So I'm thinking of getting a new gaming PC.

TROUBLE IS: I don't know what the hell kind. I've been thinking that perhaps I want a desktop replacement laptop due to potentially working abroad for a few years.

Sooooo, I've got two approaches: get the biggest mother that is BARELY a laptop and more like a mobile server by Clevo (Link), or buy a crazy thin and portable gaming laptop that'll run things pretty decently (Link). What do y'all think?

ALTERNATIVELY: I could buy a middle-of-the-road desktop and a small laptop/tablet instead.

Requirements -

Must be able to run a 4k monitor (going to be using a lot of desk space - NOT GAMING IN 4K, GOOD LAWD)
Must be able to run new games at high settings.
Must look schweet as hell (not actually mandatory)
Desktop solution would be great if it used the Bitfenix Prodigy-M case (micro-ATX).

HALP ME ALFA!
Last edited by Tantalus on Sat Jan 11, 14 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Mr357 » Sat Jan 11, 14 1:37 am

Tantalus wrote:So I'm thinking of getting a new gaming PC.

TROUBLE IS: I don't know what the hell kind. I've been thinking that perhaps I want a desktop replacement laptop due to potentially working abroad for a few years.

Sooooo, I've got two approaches: get the biggest mother that is BARELY a laptop and more like a mobile server by Clevo (Link), or buy a crazy thin and portable gaming laptop that'll run things pretty decently (Link). What do y'all think?

ALTERNATIVELY: I could buy a middle-of-the-road desktop and a small laptop/tablet instead.

Requirements -

Must be able to run a 4k monitor (going to be using a lot of desk space - NOT GAMING IN 4K, GOOD LAWD)
Must be able to run new games at high settings.
Must look schweet as hell (not actually mandatory)
Desktop solution would be great if it used the Bitfenix Prodigy-M case (micro-ATX).

HALP ME ALFA!

Why not build a desktop? I can give you just about any advice you'd need. I've been building my own PC's since I was 15.
Mr357

Postby Tantalus » Sat Jan 11, 14 1:48 am

I would build a desktop, but I don't know whether I want some portability or not. Just kinda divided.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Mr357 » Sat Jan 11, 14 4:29 am

Tantalus wrote:I would build a desktop, but I don't know whether I want some portability or not. Just kinda divided.

Only go with a laptop if you really need the portability. The price/performance ratio of a desktop is multitudes better than any gaming oriented laptop.

For example, I can't see that Aorus you linked going for less than $1800, while you could build a desktop for under $1000 that would perform much better.
Mr357

Previous

Return to Gaming and Technology