'Unlimited' online backup

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

'Unlimited' online backup

Postby Alex » Thu Jun 09, 11 8:27 am

There are several companies offering unlimited online backups for consumers. Several are Backblaze, Mozy, Carbonite.

For my work (I know, it's meant for consumers..) I've tried several as we'd like to backup everything several times.

I first tried Backblaze. It's slow (as its US based, and im EU based) and it wont backup a NAS. Tried it for a while, in the end, I dropped it.
Then I tried Mozy. Same story as above, US based, and wont backup a NAS.

I then gave up a bit, especially since they couldn't backup a NAS.

A while later I found Mozy.co.uk. Same company, different datacentre's/servers.
Servers closers to me. Thus faster uploading.

In the meanwhile, things changed at my work. We bought a server dedicated to backups. We also got a new internet connection with 10mbit up (instead of the 1mbit we had).

So we tried Mozy.co.uk. Gave us an upload speed of 7-8mbit, thus almost using the entire upload line!

We just had 1 problem/issue: how unlimited is unlimited?
(the amount of data uploaded to Mozy)

And we're not even half way. The question now is: how long will it take before they suspend us, or will they just leave us alone?

What are your experiences with online backups?
Alex
Alpha

Postby Kaiden » Thu Jun 09, 11 9:16 am

2 TBs goo
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby Gishank » Fri Jun 10, 11 8:52 am

Unless they state in the ToS when you signed up with them about a fair usage policy, then I don't think they have any right to claim you're using too much space given they offered unlimited.

I wouldn't be surprised though if you ended up uploading too much that they had no space on their HDD's though, given most of these 'file hosting' companies are never really what they claim.
Last edited by Gishank on Fri Jun 10, 11 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gishank
Forum Super Hero

Postby Alex » Fri Jun 10, 11 10:24 am

Gishank wrote:Unless they state in the ToS when you signed up with them about a fair usage policy, then I don't think they have any right to claim you're using too much space given they offered unlimited.

I wouldn't be surprised though if you ended up uploading too much that they had no space on their HDD's though, given most of these 'file hosting' companies are never really what they claim.

Mozy is a big one, they wont have "full" disks.
Alex
Alpha

Postby leyonchung » Sat Dec 08, 12 6:13 pm

All the names which you have mentioned in your question are big enough to rely upon. However, it is the case with everyone that they experience low connection speed after configure online backup with their OS. The maximum amount of backup offered by a service provider is around 5TB (not more than that). In my opinion, MyPCBackup will be a good option to consider for an unlimited online backup service option.
Last edited by leyonchung on Sat Dec 08, 12 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leyonchung

Return to Gaming and Technology